Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summerskiing in Norway 2012 ( and now 2013 )

Poster: A snowHead
I have promised in onother thread give some information about summerskiing in Scandinavia,, so here we go,,

Summerskiing in Scandinavia is not only Riksgränsen in Sweden,,
first I will say that you will need a car to get to skiareas from where you stay

1 Stryn, http://www.stryn.no/sommerski/english.aspx
Stryn is the best place for a good freeskier with alot of options for offpist, very good vertical drop to be in Scandinavia more than 500m a chairlift take you up to the glacier, most of the season its skiable all the way down to the base were the chairlift start, the season start at end of May and during to end of July, the best place to stay is down in the valley on Folven Camping, where you can hire a cabin or have a tent or a caravan, its a great place for a good party to, so if yo want to have easy familyplace its better to take some of the other camping in the valley, on folven there is a stage where bands give concerts,, and there is pubs and restaurants, the locals are very nice with the tourists, if the weather not is ok for skiing there is alot of other things to do, like fishing, riverkayaks and so on,, best airport to go is Oslo/Gardemoen and then to hire a car

2 Folgefonna http://www.folgefonn.no/ sorry not in English, you can try with google translate
a nice area with only 250m vertical drop, Folgefonna is famous for a good park, here there is alot of photosession in the season that start at beginning of may and during normaly to mid august, this is a place for young people, Folgefonna is the only maritim glacier in europe except the glaciers on Island, the best airport is Bergen or Haugesund and then to hire a car, if you want to go by your own car and a caravan I think there is ferry to Stavanger or Bergen from England? there is a Camping in Jondal by the fjord

3 Galdhöpiggen skicenter Juvasshytta http://www.gpss.no/
here is the longest season of the resorts 6 month normaly from 1th may to end of october or beginning november, the try to keep open to the first resorts open for winterseason, here is where the racingteam are going very high to be in scandinavia so the snow is very good even if the sun is shining, here its possible to walk or ski the highest peak in Scandinavia, Galdhopiggen 2469m, here its possible to stay at Juvasshytta lodge, with only 400m walk to the skilifts,http://www.juvasshytta.no/ here the verticaldrop is 350m, the best airport is Oslo/Gardemoen

The summerskiing in Scandinavia is better than in the alpes because the snow is colder, its possible to ski all the days, and the time lifts running is from 9am to 4pm, here comes alpine and crosscountry teams from all europe because of the snow in summertime, if I have forget something feel free to ask,,

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-05-13 5:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent. Many thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great info snowHead cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info, brings back memories of Norwegian summer skiing. Just one small thing, unfortunately there are no longer any ferries to Stavanger/Bergen from the UK which is a real shame.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlexScot, Sorry that I not was update for the ferrys UK-Norway Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will also for Not liftservice skiing recomended to take a look for Hurrungane in the heart of the Joutenheimen National Park , http://www.turtagro.no/english/ the touring season start in mid april and ended at mid june, here is real wilderness. to have Tortagrö hotel as a base and do daytrips in the area or start at Tortagrö and make a expetition with camping on the glaciers, thats life, Its easy to have 2 weeks and climb the peaks and have more than 1000m vertical drop skiing down, here you find the real steep lines, I have skiing here in 50cm powder around the 20th may one year. If you dont want to feel alone on the mountain take a look for High Camp at Tortagrö http://www.turtagro.no/english/?p=344 When I still live in sweden and was up to Hurrungane I also was take my kayak with me, to kayaking in the fjord, thats near a religious experience, here I was first time for 30 years ago, have not been there for the last 4 year now, but will go back one day, even if its far from france, I have meet on the mountain in this area Dynafit guys from Germany, Italy and Canada???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for this, very interesting for someone with a birthday in mid may who has always wanted to ski on my birthday!

Is the snow like European spring skiing? Hard in the morning and softening through the day?

Any Brits got an idea of flights/costs to get there??

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is the snow like European spring skiing? Hard in the morning and softening through the day?

I want to compare the snow in Norway summerskiing resorts in May like in Mars in the alpes,, the liftserviceareas are limited if you compare with the alpes, but you can ski even after lunch without any problem even in July,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, keep me posted please. I wouldn't mind going back to Stryn!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stryn summerski was give a report yesterday, says that the snowdeep is 840cm, it seems to be a good summer then Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
thanks for this, very interesting for someone with a birthday in mid may who has always wanted to ski on my birthday!
Any Brits got an idea of flights/costs to get there??
cheers,
Greg

I've got a mid-May birthday too, Greg, and always fancied skiing on it.
In fact it's the same day as the Norwegian national day (May 17th). I'm not sure to what extent the day is celebrated in Norway (presumably they have the equivalent of a bank holiday) but I expect it could be a fun day to be on the slopes.
I have a 'big' birthday this year so perhaps all the more reason for a little extravagance!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've got a mid-May birthday too, Greg, and always fancied skiing on it.
In fact it's the same day as the Norwegian national day (May 17th). I'm not sure to what extent the day is celebrated in Norway (presumably they have the equivalent of a bank holiday) but I expect it could be a fun day to be on the slopes.
I have a 'big' birthday this year so perhaps all the more reason for a little extravagance!

17th May is free from work day,, I dont think no country in europe, even if Norway is not in the union, take care about the nationalday as the Norwegien, its use to be hard to find hotel or place in restaurants this day/evening,, this year the 17th is on a Thursday, so they will take friday off to have a long weekend,,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, A little video from Stranda the 1th April 2012
Skiddag i Stranda 1 april 2012 from Oscar Almgren
http://vimeo.com/39587474
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier, nice Cool Cool Cool no wonder you're smiling Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carbon_copy, Its not me on the video, I was just putting it up here to show that its still snowing on low alltitude in april
snow report
freeheelskier, No worries, just great to see people having a great time , April is a good bet most years snowHead
snow conditions
Great vid. Thanks
snow report
Excellent information. I'm bookmarking it!
latest report
Det var dypt, veldig dypt... from Fri Flyt TV
http://vimeo.com/39904958
more snow at Stranda, the last 3 days it had fallen 2m with fresh powder, this summer will be great at Stryn Summerski center that not are so very far away Very Happy
latest report
Great info thanks freeheelskier,
ski holidays
Stryn summerskicenter have now 860cm snowdeep, And the forecast say 25cm more this weekend, the other station has not start to report snowdeep, but people in the area thinks is the same as Stryn, The forecast for Galdöpiggen skicenter say 35 cm more to mid of next week, and for Folgefonna skicenter just 5cm more this weekend
snow conditions
freeheelskier, WOW this may be what i have been serching for, some where to go in the summer for some skiing where you dont have to start at 7.30 and finish at 11.30.
Looking to go late July what will be the best option? This sure is a hidden gem, for after days of web serching still not coming up with much more than you have given here. I am very tempted to drop the week in Tigne and come to Stryn. Great post thanks
snow conditions
For those of you who haven't seen it, here's my TR of skiing in Stryn (well, nearly) a few years ago:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=636821&highlight=stryn#636821
snow conditions
horizon, freeheelskier, any idea how often the road up there is shut as per horizon, s TR???
snow conditions
I think we got unlucky, but then again I'm not sure if there were other closures in subsequent years.

Usually they leave the opening day announcement until pretty late, presumably to avoid situations like this. They must have been caught out by instabilities in the snow pack.

That said, if I had known beforehand I would have tried to change dates, but it ended up as a great long weekend. A bit like a summer hiking weekend plus the benefits of skiing.
snow report
Hi Free Heel Skier.
Could you let me know which (if any) of these places is reasonably accessible by public transport.
I don't think any are rail served but perhaps there are bus connections from train stations?
Neil Neige
ski holidays
Rocki, Late july is late even in Norway, as you travel from UK I will suggest that you go June or late May to have the best skiing, the skiers from central europe that skiing here comes early in the summerseason, you will have more value for your money,

kitenski, I have visit Stryn about 15 times, Juvasshytta 6 times and Folgefonna 1time and have never seen closed roads, exept one time in Juvasshytta but that was in late october and after a big snowstorm,

Neil Neige, You can easy go to camping or the hotel you will stay at, norway has good bus connection from train stations, on this site you can planned your travel in Norway, http://www.ruteinfo.no/uk/index.asp but its more easy to hire a car and acces the skiarea from your hotel or camping
snow report
links to the weather forecast for the summerski areas

http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Sogn_og_Fjordane/Stryn/Strynefjellet_Sommarski/langtidsvarsel.html
http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Oppland/Lom/Juvvasshytta/langtidsvarsel.html
http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Hordaland/Kvinnherad/Folgefonna/langtidsvarsel.html
they write allways in mm, but thats when its rain, when its snow its 1cm snow per mm rain
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Juvasshytta summerskiing and Folgefonna summerskiing is opening 4th May and Stryn summerskiing is opening 24th May Very Happy
snow conditions
http://vimeo.com/41134366
snow conditions
juvasshytta summerskiing have today say that they cancelled the openingday the 4th may, they have problem to open the road up to the skiarea, they say that they will try to open mid may,, there is too much snow for the moment Puzzled
snow report
freeheelskier, - cracking video Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snowdeep in Stryn is now 870cm and the forecast says 20cm more this weekend, and temperature from -1 down to -8 for the next 9 days,, Very Happy
snow conditions
http://www.snowsportsnorway.no/index.php/en/den-norske-skiskole/item/43-instrukt%C3%B8rkurs/instructor-course-stryn-sommerskisenter
Courses ar Stryn summerskicenter this summer
snow conditions
Seriously considering opening day - 24 May 2012 - or thereabouts at Stryn.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
latest report
Folgefonn Sommarskisenter 2. mai 2012. MUSIKK Philter-Sinus from Jan Petter Svendal
http://vimeo.com/41449177
snow report
BAMMM!!!!

Skyscanner here I come.

Thanks freeheelskier
ski holidays
I'm thinking of going away in June, on a tragically un-classy beach/club holiday, but I think I could persuade people to go skiing somewhere, what sort of costs are involved in going in June to Sweden? is it cheaper than in the winter? and what's the skiing like at this time?
latest report
Iaink, Sweden is not worth skiing in june, go to Norway, skipass price is for Stryn around 49 euro per day, Norway is a little expensive, but for a skiier well worth the money, and about the skiing this time on the year, read the coments here,,,
ski holidays
Only one week now before Stryn opening,, by the time a little video Very Happy

Strynefjellet 30.april 2012 from Stryn Sommerski
http://vimeo.com/41465384
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy