Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

P-Tex repair question on thin base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of skis that have not had much use, and that were not cheap, however the base on one ski is VERY thin after a bad incident with a rock last season that tore the base up very badly.

I could argue that in retrospect the shop should have made more use of P-Tex and less use of the base grinding machine, but what is done is done.

Here is the thing:

I found another rock, not so big, but big enough to tear away the base-sheet entirely over an area about the size of a 5p coin, right up against the edge.
Wood core Elan ski. No damage to core at all.

I have a proper P-Tex gun (no dripping candles for me!) and am quite handy with it and the subsequent tools for flattening off and waxing etc.
The problem is that I just can't get a P-Tex patch to hold for more than a short skiing time, it wll come off the first day. The cause to me is obvious...the patch has to be very thin, as the base around it is very thin.

I have been mulling over this, trying to figure out a solution that does not involve salvaging the bindings and binning the skis.

One idea I have had: Drill a small hole (carefully!) into the base so that the P-Tex has more to grip on. I know it smacks of desperation, would it help or make things worse..... does anybody have another/better idea?

I'd particularly welcome feedback from other self tuners, or the pros like Jon and the snowhead who was a tuner on the WC circuit (whose name is on the tip of my tongue!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp, you need some metal grip. The ptex does not stick to edges very well, so metal grip first then the ptex will stick to the metal grip

on jons site its here

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,21/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup, what carroz said - metal grip is what you need. Haven't yet used it myself yet but Jon showed me how to use it when we did his ski tuning course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, rungsp, I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you are trying to melt a base repair candle into the hole. If it's as bad as you suggest,and it's almost a ski write-off situation, wouldn't it be better to cut a square right up to the edge of the ski. Cut a squre of base material and glue it in place to patch it? That then would require filing down after though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, as the guys have said you need some metal grip first, put a thin layer on, let it set, trim if needed then put the p-tex over it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, p-tex will only bond to other p-tex, it will not stick to the core or to metal edges. This were the use of metal grip comes in. It's a co-polymer wire of resin/metal, available in black or clear, which is welded in (using the hot tip of your p-tex gun) as a thin foundation layer as it bonds tight to the core/edge material & then, once fully cooled, p-tex can be welded on top.

On black bases I usually use clear metal grip as a foundation layer as it's a lot easier to see what you're doing. On a small 5p size repair on an already thin base I'd just fill the whole repair with the metal grip.

If you fill the whole repair with metal grip it's too tough to dress down with a metal scraper so use a sharp chisel to dress it down flush with the base & then give it a few longitudinal rubs with some medium grit sandpaper to add a bit of structure.

Do not put metal grip in your p-tex gun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy