Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Outland 80

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone skiid these and what do you think of them, reviews and recommendations of them seem to be good. Thinking of buying a pair

They also do a Pro version which is stiffer

Anyone
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you look here they are v cheap....

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/dynastaroutland80xt1112-p-48465.html

just got some for a mate i am going skiing with at easter.

he tried them as a hire ski at half term and loved them. Said they were really very easy to ski and gripped very well on piste, but floated well off it, but as i didn't go with him and see can't say much more

other than he always moans about the hire gear, even if they seem ok to me, but will not buy, until now, so him buying is a minor miracle....they must have been very good. The off piste will have been piste side stuff so not very deep.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz,

Thanks, almost decided me. Which ones did you mate ski, coz there are three versions

Outland 80
Outland 80XT
Outland 80 Pro

I think ski set rent out the standard 80

It seems Dynastar rate the 80 for Good Advanced Intermediates ( which is me ish!!!!) and the othyer two for experts, which is not me!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins, He hired the base version, and i think that is what he purchased, i know there was a bit of "should i buy the next one up as its not much more" as he asked me about it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz,

Lovely, what sort of level skier is he
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He is a reasonable intermediate, likes groomed reds alot and bits of shallow fluff off the side of pistes, bumps are a bit of an issue..........as is making up his mind!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz,

You must be skiing with me, its amazing Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Smile Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timbobaggins, they are very good, all round skis. A friend who is a BASI Trainer skis the Outland Pros and reckons the base model would be fine for most people. (I was discussing as I want to get some "guest" skis to save people who visit us hiring.)

Be careful with the Telemark Pyrennes offer as (I'm 95% sure that) the XT model is the "flat" (i.e. doesn't come with a binding) version of the base model.

try to get to a Decathlon as they reduced them recently to £149. A friend actually saw the last pair in Canada Water Decathlon for £89, but by the time I got there they had gone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xt is a different model to the base or pro

http://www.dynastar.com/IV/FR/dynastar-skis-men-all-mountain.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for help and advice, i am now the proud owner of my first ever pair of ski's, having been skiing since 1999 Shocked

Bit the bullet and went to Decathlon and got the Outland 80's. Pity they were not £89 or £149. I paid 249.99, but that was still cheaper than anywhere else i looked.

Only thing is i am not due to go skiing now till January 2013 Sad , so the only chance to try them will be the snowdome at Hemel.

I will now spend all of spring summer and autumn plopping my pants wondering if i bought the right skis Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timbobaggins wrote:
Anyone skiid these and what do you think of them, reviews and recommendations of them seem to be good. Thinking of buying a pair

Anyone

Early April this year i was in VT. There was lots of fresh snow and so on the the Wednesday morning I went back to the hire shop and asked for a pair of fatter skis. They gave me a pair of Outlands. I just wish I knew which model they were. They were fantastic. Am now constantly trawling the net to try and find some that I can afford. As they were hire skis ,were they likely to have been the base model? I wish that I had written down their details.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New skis arrived today, brand new Dynastar Outlands. Bargain. Thanks so much Legue,a fellow Snowhead. Top chap. Shame I have to wait so long to use them Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have just had some Outland 80XT skis back in as Dynastar found some stock, I love this ski, got a pair myself, outstanding in slush through to crud. Don't have many pairs but price is a steel for a ski that is unchanged next year, AND the Snowheads discount code is currently working on sale items to end of month so you can save a bit more Shock)

Sorry for the shameless plug, but us UK ski shops need customers right now, and have some great deals so you don't need to buy from abroad Very Happy

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/151397/products/dynastar_outland_80_xt_2012_skis_and_bindings.aspx

My summary on the 3 models, based on the ski test, and then taking some out again on a separate test as I liked them so much:

80 Standard - We decided not to stock. Dont get me wrong, nice ski, but see below for why. It is a GOOD ski though!
80 XT - It has the added Basalt in the wood construction. Really dampens the ski down but keeps it very much alive, a noticeable difference over the standard model for not much more money. And is Fall Line All Mountain Ski Of The Year. Suit progressing intermediates right through to expert we feel
80 Pro - Also has the Basalt, slightly stiffer construction, with a couple of extra layers in the construction, bit more aggressive, and we feel a little bit more geared to all piste conditions as a result, and more advanced. Makes it just a little less versatile but not by much.

So the 80 Pro for the point and shoot speed demons, mainly on the piste, the 80 XT for those wanting a do-it-all model that can still carve beautifully. Stable, predictable, fast. (My notes from the ski test!) I have some on-ski video from Val D'Isere last season (before the camera fell off the ski!) and I was absolutely flying. The 80 Standard is good, but smart buyers seemed to go for the XT to get the extra pop and damping from the ski, for not much more money.

Dynastar really do make some cracking skis, and keep an eye out for the CHAM models next season, simply stunning skis, and our favourites on test for freeride skiing.

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scottydog,

How do they compare to the Sultan 85 ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
scottydog,

How do they compare to the Sultan 85 ?

In terms of build quality and edge to edge control, identical.

In terms of application, chalk n cheese wink The Outland for all of us here who tested, is an 80% Piste ski, capable in short bursts in the powder in all conditions, so ideal for most UK skiers and those skiing in mixed groups, mainly on the piste. It does deal with pretty much ALL piste conditions from fluffy stuff to grass and rocks though. I know, I tried, it was the day of the Royal Wedding in Vlad D'Isere and I was willing to ski down anything to avoid having to sit through that on the TV! Wasn't much snow in Val D May last year!

The Sultan 85 is wider, has a different response and feel due to the construction, flex and binding mounting (Screw in rather than integrated rail) and possible overall as a result is lighter, the basalt on the Outland does add a little weight. Therefore we feel making the Sultan more of a 60/40 all mountain ski. It is replaced next season by the CHAM skis, which are amazing, the CHAM 94 in particular was a standout ski as was the CHAM 104.

There IS an Outland 87 next season, looks stunning in the green/black/white, but at that point, we think at 85mm+ you would be better off going down the CHAM 85/94 route as at that width the skier will be looking for more float and verstaility in the soft stuff, rather than raw carving power.

Hope that helps.

Scottydog Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Scottydog

Would the Outland 80 or 80 XT be appropriate for an advanced begginer, early intermediate? Or maybe the 75 XT? I found them online for cracking prices! Is there much difference between the 75 XT and the 80 and 80XT? I will ski mostly on groomers, but would like to flow better through afternoon crud and slide between the bumbs on the steeper parts.

Also, my shortlist includes Fischer Motive 76, Rossi Experience 78 x, Rossi Avenger (Alias) 74 Carbon (if i can find it for a better price than Experience 78 x), and the K2 Shockwave (which seems a bit too advanced/heavy).

Which would you choose for a level 5, 5 1/2 skier? 6'1 190 lbs.

Cheers,

Tudor Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy