Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
miranda, fixed the thread title for you Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
miranda wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., yes, I know, my contributions to your ACL thread have involved discussions about the merits of achieving skinny thighs without arduous dieting/exercise, advice on skimpy underwear v Bridget Jones pants, and now questions about shoes Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed To be fair it was genepi who started talking about short skirts! wink But I have also discovered that leaning forward with your legs straight and flexing your foot whilst painting your toenails is a really good way of stretching out your hamstrings and working on the extension of your dodgy leg...

I will leave your thread alone now, I promise! Laughing

I will check AndAnotherThing..'s toes next time we climb... anything other than black polish and he just ain't manly enough Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa, It's my 'Goth' influence coming out wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, RachelQ, Another vote for wedge shoes - although even now, I can only tolerate them for short spells of time Sad I've got a wedding, 2 'big' birthday parties & a reunion coming up in the next month & the shoe 'thing' is becoming a nuisance Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
genepi, what about something like these which are almost flat (but high)? Could be worn with a maxi dress for a wedding too. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
miranda, fixed the thread title for you Little Angel

Laughing thank you! And I expect Scarpa to keep provide some photographic evidence of your goth toenails.

RachelQ you are the Gok Wan of ACL rehab - next trip to Annecy I'm trying on maxi dresses. Never tried one before because I've thought they might swamp me, but definitely a good idea for a wedding. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
miranda, Climbing shoes in the wrong size can create black toenails very easily Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, to answer my original question it looks like mixing and matching is not an option for physio on the NHS.

When I mentioned to the NHS physio during my initial session that I had an appointment already booked with a private physio she said that she would be unable to continue to treat me if I had a second physio. Speaking to a friend who's qualified it would appear to be NHS policy rather than some sort of professional conduct issue.

Other than that, I've been walking 2 to 3 miles on the flat per day plus repeating all the exercises that I've been given as often as I can. I made it out on the push bike this morning for a short ride & can see how it's going to help on the rehab.

I've also been putting together some DIY physio equipment ready for the post op after reading some knee-guru articles, so various diameter pipe and a 'step' (an old UPS!). I'm surprised how expensive balance boards are. £22 for a circle of plywood with a 'nobble' on the bottom or £100 for a fancy skate style job !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndAnotherThing.., just say nothing - that's what I did all the time in the UK when they were rebuilding my right knee. The private physio knew what I was doing with the NHS ones and we worked a way around the problem. I had a superb relationship with my NHS physios and the appointments they gave me initially we the best. The private physio became more important as the NHS reduced my appointments once over the worst part. I had hydrotherapy with the NHS and appointments 3x a week for about 6 weeks then it started to tail off. That's when the private physio started to cover the missing treatment. I used this system every time they operated on the knee to great success in the end.

Have you got the trekking poles sorted out? Once I had my sprung ones I was more adventurous in terms of my walking. As for the push bike, good that you are able to use it now but an exercise bike is of more use post-op because you can raise the seat to allow you to start earlier. You need a minimum of 110° flex to be successful with a road bike, whereas a stationary one can be used very early on, just rocking the pedals and getting a full rotation with maybe 85/90° (by raising the saddle to accommodate the lack of bend). I got a cheap one second-hand and a rowing machine as well (a very rudimentary one which I wore out by the time I was finished).

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, Cheers Happy

No walking poles as yet, but I was going to use my ski poles until I sort some. I've a exercise bike sorted (hopefully) for the post op. It was the motor bike on Friday which really highlighted the restriction in knee flextion, and just how much you use the legs for steering and control. That said, I'm working on getting more flexion and can almost sit on my heals now to light the fire !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., I am finding that it is when you forget about it and are not quite so careful that it can catch you out. Might try the wii again for some balance exercises. Good luck to all nursing sore knees (still waiting for MR myself). snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ianmacd wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., I am finding that it is when you forget about it and are not quite so careful that it can catch you out.

Me too - just little rotatary movements when I'm not thinking about it Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ianmacd, Keep us up to date ? Hope the MRI comes through nice and quick.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., I found those inflatable balance cushions to be quite good. About £14 so a bit cheaper than the boards. Saying that, I got a plastic board with adjustable height for about hte same price when I had my ankle sprain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, They put me on one of those today & seemed pretty good.
latest report
I managed to acquire a copy of the re-hab program developed by the surgeon doing my op, prior to my Pre-Op appointment.

I'm quite excited that it's suggesting a possible return to sport at the 4 month mark depending on how it goes, although it suggests that a further 3-4 months of playing will be required before feeling back to pre injury levels.

It doesn't mention skiing or climbing specifically so I'm a unconvinced at the moment. We'll see......
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., when I was feeling confident I would use an old skate deck and a 2L bottle of fizzy juice in place of a balance board. If you have a shot try not to break a wrist too Laughing
ski holidays
Alans deep bath, I just tried to balance on a mostly deflated gym ball. Lethal Shocked
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., maybe steer clear of the old coke bottle Laughing
ski holidays
A physio I climb with judges her return from injury complete when she can do exercises one legged on a balance board with her eyes closed. That is really difficult Shocked
ski holidays
Scarpa, can't remember what thread it was in, but someone posted about standing on one leg, eyes shut etc and I commented that "it's all about the receptors" etc I did spend a fair amount of time on a BOSU ball (balance ball) and even with my eyes open it was tough initially.

Then today I was at Bikram and Ric today's instructor who I had not seen for a fair while asked me how I was getting on. Ric is a serious Yogi, hardly anything of him, and has won various championships and the like, so I asked him to stand on one leg eyes shut........... he managed about four seconds, which I though was not bad, then failed miserably on numerous attempts afterwards. And this is a guy that can balance on one leg superbly in all the normal and more advanced Bikram postures!

As for me, have done three Bikram sessions on consecutive days and feel pretty wasted - should be alright next week when my body is more adjusted to it but always the first few after a lay off kill me. I'm not doing a couple of postures where I feel real pressure under the knee cap, but all the standing balance ones are good, not that at I can do any of them well, I'm probably in the worst 5% of the class, but I can only get better, though that's what I've been saying for nigh on the last two years Sad
ski holidays
I had my MR scan today and am seeing the surgeon next Tuesday. My mobility is gradually improving and I have had what seems like good physio. Still struggling to hyperextend my knee and have had one episode of slight giving way while trying to kind of walk sideways. Hope everyone else similarly afflicted is making progress.
snow report
ianmacd, good to hear you're getting better.
snow conditions
ianmacd, Good to hear you got the scan sorted, keep going with the physio exercises. My physio was really keen that I get full extension, but typically that was the exercise that really hurts !

Let us know how you get on?
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., is it tomorrow?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., and, if so, GOOD LUCK!
snow report
genepi, Pedantica, Yes it's tomorrow. I've been relaxing this evening by building flat pack furniture rolling eyes

I'm in for 7.30 so an early start. Not sure if I'll be in overnight, we'll see.

I've been working hard on the 'pre-hab' so fingers crossed for a speedy recovery Toofy Grin
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., will be thinking of you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., hope things go smoothly tomorrow.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., Hope it all goes well Very Happy
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., hope it's going well Very Happy
latest report
Good luck!
latest report
Thanks again every one.

I'm back at home now lying on the sofa with a bag of peas on my knee, having gone into surgery at about 11am. When I woke up I *think* it was 1.30ish. Initially there was not much discomfort but as the afternoon has wore on it's become more painful, along with increasing swelling and reducing mobility. Extension seems good, it's the flex. Still everyone seems pleased with the way it had gone and my questions about the rehab and tell me they expect a good outcome Fingers crossed !!

Interestingly the pain is at the 'harvest' sites rather than the knee.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., Good to see you are home. Remember to set that alarm clock to stay ahead of the pain. Talk to you over the weekend.

Take it easy, and only ice for about 20 minutes max once an hour. If you cannot feel the effect thought the bandages, just work on the elevation. And try the ankle pumps as soon as you can to counter the swelling. Remember it will initially get worse before it gets better. The first 3 days are the worst to be honest, then it all starts easing off usually as you get more mobile.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Ta, thanks as ever for all your help.

No bandages, just waterproof sticking plasters wink
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., Lucky you! Not even the sexy TED stockings either? wink keep on icing and pumping them Very Happy
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., really good to hear you are back home already. I have been told I will definitely be in overnight but I might question them on the necessity of that when I meet the anesthetist next week. My op has been put back by 4 days but not long now before I hope to be in the same boat as you - at home, starting the recovery process and with everyone being pleased and expecting a good outcome!
snow conditions
I wonder how RachelQ is getting on.
snow conditions
miranda, Good luck with yours. It's hard to know about the overnight but I'd probably say that if it's a nice place and they give you an option then may be worth going for it.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., Sounds like it's just the mending to do now then fella. I recommend shouting "More M nurse!!!" at 10 minute intervals. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy