Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shovel Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

Just looking for some shovel recommendations as I need to get a new one. Requirements are metal, light, strong, reliable.

Any thoughts?

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/voileminiteleprot6shovel-p-7226.html
Yer only man.

http://www.avalanche.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=5c956bbb-c147-4aed-a002-6b5c1fb66a0e&MediaID=86e068df-da99-4cc0-b686-c7364959c174&Filename=Manuel+Genswein+shovel+review.pdf
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No specific recommendations but a few tips:

1) Make sure whatever you get will fit in your rucksack, strapping to the outside is a pain and sooner or later it'll fall off.
2) Don't go too light, when you want it to work you really do not want it to break.
3) Beware of shovels with probes in the handle - I have one and getting the probe out is a pain, so I keep them separate now, so I may as well have bought he separately in the first place.
4) Don't go too big (even if (1) allows you to). A big blade sounds like its what you need but research has shown that a smaller blade is more effective in real life (apparently - I'll see if I can find a reference for this claim).
5) Don't bother with extended handles, when you are digging for a victim (or digging a pit to get all snow geeky) then a short handle is actually better in most scenarios.

Having read the links from jimmjimm I think I'll get the Voile before next season... very handy links, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the smaller blade or handlle, very interesting. jimmjimm, thanks for the article and the recommendation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=112

Thats the kiddy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually, the Canadian article does seem to warn against going too short... the advice to me on a short handle came from an AIARE instructor, and makes sense to me but I guess the research shows you can go too short. The point about D-handles is worth bearing in mind, they do seem more comfortable in use.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just an aside query, whats wrong with using, for example, an army surplus entrenching tool?
They're collapsable, small, light, metal bladed, and cheap as chips. Ok small blade width, but they're not going to fall apart on you, and you can dig fast with them, and seems to me thats what you want in an emergency...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways, are you sure they're light? I thought they weighed a fair bit!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weight for a tri-fold all metal is about 3 pounds... might want to take the sharp edge off a bit if you're digging for a victim though...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That would make it the heaviest available on that list, and there aren't many bigger than the Chugach anywhere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Just an aside query, whats wrong with using, for example, an army surplus entrenching tool?
They're collapsable, small, light, metal bladed, and cheap as chips. Ok small blade width, but they're not going to fall apart on you, and you can dig fast with them, and seems to me thats what you want in an emergency...

Hopefully apart from doing practice searches, most of us for real will only use our snow shovels for digging out cars and clearing driveways, so I would say that a shovel is the more practical option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richjp wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Hopefully apart from doing practice searches, most of us for real will only use our snow shovels for digging out cars and clearing driveways, so I would say that a shovel is the more practical option.

I cleared my drive with a alu bladed shovel. Bad idea. Scrapping on tarmac wrecked the blade:(
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, suppose thats the difference between alu construction and steel. About a third of the price though...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy