Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the protocol for Austrian "twin" beds

Poster: A snowHead
Having not skied in Austria for a number of years I was thinking of going back this easter, but the thorny question of the double beds crops up. These masquerade as "twin" beds in Austria and I know a few people who do not really fancy sharing a bed with someone else. So what is the protocol? Can any old Austria hands please advise me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are usually 2 x 3' single beds, parked alongside each other but with seperate duvets - never seen it as a problem - just get on with it !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're not sharing a bed. Separate mattresses and bed clothes, I don't see a problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Separate mattresses and bed clothes, I don't see a problem

of course it's not a problem! Reminds me of a conversation I had with my OH when he was fairly newly arrived from the colonies. We were walking near Swansea and he commented on a large house overlooking the sea. I said it wasn't a large house, it was a couple of semi-detached houses. "Oh", he said "I don't like the idea of sharing a house!"

(his English relatives all lived in rather grand detached houses)

Spoilt brat. Soon learnt. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I know a few people who do not really fancy sharing a bed with someone else
Come on then, name and shame! Exactly which snowHead and spouses are you referring to?Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE, It works just fine but sometimes you do wake up cuddling someone you would have preferred not to. Some rooms have two single beds like your traditional twin.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK my son does not fancy sharing a bed with his mum.

I have put two friends sharing a bed before. Their solution was wine. Bode Swiller, Normal singles are not a problem. It was just arriving at a chalet and being told that two adult men would have to share a bed was a bit of a shock.

Didn't one Tory cabinet minister once lose his portfolio when he admitted taking a double bed with a young adviser in Paris? Future, as yet specified, careers could be jepodised by such youthful haste to enjoy the skiing.

Please tell me - do you dump one mattress on the floor, or sleep head to foot, put a bolster between the beds - or what?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-03-12 21:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't you just ease the two beds apart slightly if it bothers you?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Please tell me - do you dump one mattress on the floor, or sleep head to foot, put a bolster between the beds - or what?

or just go to sleep? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how old is the objecting son? Old enough to be invited to pay for a separate room for himself?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

how old is the objecting son? Old enough to be invited to pay for a separate room for himself?

18 and I am afraid none are available. Please just tell me the protocol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can usually slide them apart - some have a clip but suffcient ingenuity should see them seperated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Please just tell me the protocol

? If he's really so fussed, why not take a sleeping bag? Then it would be just like camping, but in a very roomy and comfortable tent. Why does it need a protocol?

Or he could indeed put the mattress on the floor, if the room is big enough, and he's willing to take the risk of his mother stepping on his head in the middle of the night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure he never spends a night in an alpine refuge, they have 12 in each bed, more if every one bunches up. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

You just sleep in them, as if they were two singles on opposite sides of the room. No biggie. Did that for four weeks a couple of years ago, with a guy I'd never met before. If your son is bothered by that he's gonna enjoy the saunas lol.
snow conditions
I always seem to end up in the space in between the two mattresses. Bizarre really as I have never rolled over and fallen out of a single bed. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

If your son is bothered by that he's gonna enjoy the saunas lol.

Laughing
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The "protocol" is whatever the two people involved decide it is.

In many cases, the two mattresses are in a single frame, so cannot be separated without putting one on the floor.

If he would feel happier sleeping head to toe, then do so.

There are unlikely to be bolsters available as well as pillows, so using a bolster for separation is not likely to be an option.
latest report
Sleep head to toe
latest report
Quote:

There are unlikely to be bolsters available as well as pillows, so using a bolster for separation is not likely to be an option.

Actually, I probably picked that up from an old film where the young girl has to share a bed with a man - or was it a sword between them.
Quote:

Make sure he never spends a night in an alpine refuge, they have 12 in each bed, more if every one bunches up. Very Happy

Few of them are now. Most have bunk beds - lots of them and the atmosphere gets pretty humid
snow report
Quote:

Sleep head to toe

Most people fling their lower limbs round in the night more than their top half - I certainly do. anyone sleeping head to toe with me would very likely get kicked in the teeth, though they would be a little further from the snoring. Embarassed

If there are two separate mattresses, held closely together in a single frame, you could weave a sort of hedge of skis and poles, wedged down between the mattresses. Or possibly pinch half a dozen breakfast trays from the dining room? They'd take up less room than a bolster. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Or possibly pinch half a dozen breakfast trays from the dining room? They'd take up less room than a bolster. wink

I like the idea. Then in the morning you can sledge on them Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
And after a restful night it's always good to grab an Austrian twin shower:

latest report
or drink more Stiegl, loudest snorer wakes the other up!
snow report
Tell both of them to change in the bathroom if they are shy! The beds are always in the same frame, so short of taking a mattress out and one of them sleeping on the floor, there is not much you can do about it!

Is it a rude question to ask why your wife is sharing with your son instead of you? Puzzled wink Laughing

I've turned up at group meetings in hotels before and ended up sharing a room and Austrian-style with a complete stranger before now. Unfortunately, none of my room-mates have turned out to be to my taste yet! Laughing But here's hoping I get George clooney or Brad Pitt one day Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

Is it a rude question to ask why your wife is sharing with your son instead of you?

yes, very, but I'm glad you asked it!
ski holidays
Quote:

Is it a rude question to ask why your wife is sharing with your son instead of you?

yes, very, but I'm glad you asked it!

Changed my mind - I am not going
snow report
johnE, Why not sleep head to toe: Move the pillow on one bed tot he other end and slide the duvet down 450mm or so rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Worst case scenario, if you can't seperate the beds, just put the mattress on the floor. Problem solved.
ski holidays
monkey wrote:
Worst case scenario, if you can't seperate the beds, just put the mattress on the floor. Problem solved.

That isn't the "worst case" scenario, because it assumes there will be sufficient space to put a mattress on the floor. Which is usually, but not always the case.
snow report
johnE, tell him to get over himself.

Til I saw that he was sharing with his mum I was going to say something fairly rude about 'taking it' and just what that meant. But it is so I haven't.
ski holidays
Quote:

tell him to get over himself.

Precisely. When you pay for your kids to go skiing, they don't get to dictate the terms. I recall one SH a couple of years ago, trying to sort out a DIY family trip on a tight budget, ruling out a cheap overnight hotel because his teenage daughter wouldn't put up with it. I'd have given her three options - stay behind, pay the difference from her allowance/Saturday job or get over herself.

If the lad is going to pay himself, I suspect he'd be taking his mates or a GF, not his Mum.
snow report
Quote:

1. Make sure he never spends a night in an alpine refuge, they have 12 in each bed, more if every one bunches up.
2. Few of them are now. Most have bunk beds.

A room for 10 - Heidelberger Hutte, nr. Ischgl, Feb 2012. You'll kip anywhere when you're tired....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy