Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest taxi ride after a wrong turn at the end of the day

Poster: A snowHead
After a bit of banter at the off-piste bash with those who will remain nameless getting lost again and having to get a taxi back, I was wondering what's the worst place to take a wrong turn at the end of a day skiing when the lifts are shut? Let's keep it to lift-served, on-piste or at least within a ski area, and assume you can downlift or ski down to a road where a taxi can pick you up, plus reckon on the usual summer-only cols (Galibier, l'Iseran, Petit St Bernard etc) being shut to traffic.

Top of the Cime Caron, turning down to Orelle instead of Val Thorens, was the initial thought. Got to be a couple of hours in a taxi and nearly 140km.

Off-piste-wise, I'm not sure if it's possible to end up the wrong side of the Col de l'Iseran from Val D'Isere/Tignes without a hike/skin, but that'd be a long trip back too.

Any other suggestions? Anyone got any expensive taxi bills?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ending up in the wrong one out of La Ros and La Thuile would be a bad cock up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Possibly, but you've got a 250m hike in your boots to make that wrong turn in the first place!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia/Zermatt also.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, Not looked at the map but getting from Zermatt back to Cervinia must be pricey - trains and taxi.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nearly missed last lift up from Les Crosets back over to Avoriaz/Ardent. Taxi from there to Les Gets would not be very cheap. My Passport was still in Les Gets too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are staying in Chatel and end up taking the run to Torgon at the top of Barbossine it would be 40km plus by taxi. Perhaps not the longest but in a Swiss taxi it would do damage tot he budget. Skiable in 20 minutes - 10 minutes on lift, 10 minute ski down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Off-piste-wise, I'm not sure if it's possible to end up the wrong side of the Col de l'Iseran from Val D'Isere/Tignes without a hike/skin, but that'd be a long trip back too.

... if you go over the top from the top of Pissallais glacier in Val (its only a 20 min walk) and ski down to Bonneval... if the heli can't pick you up cause of bad light or whatever then it is about a 4-5 hour taxi ride back to Val d'Isere... almost made the call to go down there on Saturday but spoke with the chopper pilot and he was not 100% sure he would be able to pick us up therefore we pulled the plug on the whole trip (as it turned out we would have been OK as the weather came good - but it was not looking good at 10am!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, yep. Friend of mine was quoted €450 Zermatt-Cervinia. He missed the last cable, and it was our last day so staying the night not an option. He managed to cadge a lift of a pisteur on a snow mobile up to the top and came down in near darkness. Luckily for us he arrived in the bar just in time for his round.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were given the advice to stay over in Cervinia/Zermatt if ever stranded the other side as that would be far, far cheaper than a taxi.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not quite answering your question, but hey it's an internet forum... In St Anton, just after New Year, we got on the bus at the Nasserein to go to the main part of town. Unfortunately we caught the clockwise bus, not the anticlockwise bus. It was snowing, and had been snowing solidly for nearly two weeks. The main road was closed following an avalanche. It took the driver nearly an hour to reach St Jacob along the back road. He then turned round to go the other way. Twenty minutes later, we met another bus going in the opposite direction so had to back all the way back to the main road at St Jacob. At this point, he terminated the bus and told us there would be no more buses and left us to walk back. It's only 2-3 miles' walk, somewhat irritating in ski boots, with skis, in the dark in a blizzard. No taxis, nobody at all. And then we met a snowplough who told us the road was closed to pedestrians owing to the avalanche risk, but if we go quickly we'll be OK...

Oh yes, and as we were walking back, the bus came past us, driving us off the road, and drove back to town. Thanks!!

We did find a cab to take us half the way for a couple of euros each.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must confess that from about 2pm onwards I start getting a bit paranoid about where we are on each day, for fear of not getting back to where we need to be before the lifts shut.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Missing the Alagna-Gressoney connection while trying to get back to Champoluc must rank up there on single country taxi problems...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Day-trip to Saint Lary in the Pyrenees a few years ago (when I lived in the area).

The town is down in the valley and you get a cable car up/down to/from the slopes. They have a system where you book your time slot for your return trip in advance. This we did not know.

Missed last bus from Saint Lary to Tarbes. 2-hour taxi ride later...
snow report
Had to get a taxi back from Les Menuires to VT twice - it's become almost a holiday tradition, but at only 25euros not too bad at all. Galling this year that it was only becuase we stopped for a beer on my mate's insistence we only had to get one more lift, despite my protestations it was two.

Few years ago when my little brother dislocated his shoulder over towards Champagny the blood wagon took him to the medical centre there rather than La Plagne where we were staying as it was closer. My other brother who was out there doing a season then had to make the round trip by road in his car to collect him. Not sure exactly how far it is by the time you go down the mountain, round it and back up, but maybe something like 80-90km each way? He was nearly as annoyed as the brother who'd dislocated his shoulder on the first morning of his first ever snowboarding holiday. Laughing
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
paulio, yep. Friend of mine was quoted €450 Zermatt-Cervinia. He missed the last cable, and it was our last day so staying the night not an option. He managed to cadge a lift of a pisteur on a snow mobile up to the top and came down in near darkness. Luckily for us he arrived in the bar just in time for his round.

It must have been a hell of a round too. Not only could he blow €400 on it and still save money, he must have wanted you all to be very drunk in order to forget it had ever happened (in which he clearly failed) Laughing
latest report
paulio wrote:
Ending up in the wrong one out of La Ros and La Thuile would be a bad cock up.

Yeah......I've definitely never done this..... Confused

Friend had to drive round to pick us up though. He was NOT impressed.
latest report
St.Anton : Take first cable car to Valluga. Exit cable car and ski in the direction of Mattun. Take a wrong turn to the left and ski and ski and ski and ski until finally you end up here. Hope that you find somebody ( anybody ) willing to take you back to somewhere that has a Taxi. Then take a Taxi as far as Reutte -> Fernpass -> Imst -> Landeck -> St.Anton. Doesn't have to be a Taxi all the way, depends how rich you are feeling
Sad

It wasn't me btw, but my good friend Barry and his friend the Bergführer ( who was in St.A for the first time )
snow report
Tiger2, he still refuses to say what he had to do to convince the pisteur to give him a lift up the hill.....
ski holidays
Wrong valley in 3V meant a pricy trip once
snow report
This season, I heard of a friend of a friend who lost the rest of his group while skiing in the Meribel Valley. late one afternoon.....They were at the top of Saulire at the time.

He wanted to get back to a chalet at La Tania but is apparently a bit of a nervous skier. In blind panic mode he lost the ability to read a piste map (as well as control of his bowels Toofy Grin !!), skied to Meribel then got a taxi to La Tania! Shocked Ouch! (Although I don't know the fare.....)
snow report
Yeah, Cervinia / Zermatt is a bad one. I nearly messed up badly last week as the pass on the top was shut on Saturday, but it is still technically possible to get over the top via the chairlift. I mistook one T-Bar for the other and ended up down by the Klein Matterhorn gondola station, which was running. Just not for skiers. Took a while to figure that out, and I nearly didn't make it back up the T-Bars in time to bet back into Italy. Our flight was the next morning, early, so it could have been a pretty bad situation! It's pretty lonely in a white out on top of a mountain, too.
snow report
I recently made the tortin-chassoure bubble above Siviez in the 4 valleys by just 7 minutes whilst skiing with and leading a group, mainly owing to a bolshy waiter at a restaurant above Veysonnaz not getting his act together and having to be asked several times to sort the bill out. I would not have been popular there as a taxi ride from Siviez to Verbier would have been an expensive one! Laughing
ski holidays
Got to be Cervinia / Zermatt I'd have thought...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy