Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossi Zenith Z9 vs K2 Apache Recon vs.. ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Arno, I know this is an extreme exaggeration but if you nailed the shovel and tail of your skis down and leaned the boot in the binding sideways in one direction, the ski would be twisted with little longitudinal flex. The edged edge would definitely go a bit into reverse camber but the other edge might just be neutral or even maintain some positive camber.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, I see what you mean re the ski just being on it's tip & tail. But the running edge at the tip & tail aren't in line & parallel which would make the ski go straight as you say. Instead they're angled outwards as per the sidecut shape of the ski, forming arcs in the snow. Therefore the ski will self steer/turn following the arc even if the middle of the ski wasn't in contact with the ground.

Some would say I've a large backside Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, yeeeees... but it would take quite a lot of force to do that i would have thought
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, I'm not sure speed is the key but maybe not rushing initiation of the turn, but waiting for the turn to develope, and then wind it up tighter and tighter.
I used to rush my turns and would happily whack my B2's onto edge at low speed only for them to slide straight on their sides and me end up on my bum. Now I wait for the turn to initiate and then drop my hip into the turn gradually to wind it up. Speed not required for this, just patience, though speed does help.

rjs, I was going to do last Monday but my boots were killing me after my previous 2 hours. I could not face another session Sad See you next Monday all being well Smile

spyderjon, I'm not convinced about the beer solution NehNeh I'm thinking fitness like beanie1 mentioned is probably the key, combined with improved techhique. I'm currently doing 7 mile bike ride nearly every day up to the moors and back so reckon its technhique not fitness I need. At the end of the season don't be surprised if I don't come home with a pair of B5's under my belt Laughing
Quote:
Observers could easily think watching good skiers like them making great turns that the ski flex was ideally suited to them whereas in fact the ski is too stiff for them for all day all round skiing. That's not to say they couldn't flex them, as the ability to do so is as more about technique than weight, but the amount of effort required would make it just too hard work.

Spot on mate. If I can find someone to lend me a pair for a week this season i'll see if I can put this to the test.

beanie1, No need to be sorry. I just have a bad habit of saying the wrong thing sometimes so was just checking Laughing
What you say makes sense about the rebound being more pronounced with lighter skiers. I certainly felt the rebound was very poweful for the small amount of flex I could induce in the B5's. I just worry that this power could very easily turn you into a rag doll on rough terrain. The idea of losing it in a mogul field puts a shiver down my back, especially after spyderjon being thrown about a while back launching him a few feet in the air! Shocked

rob@rar.org.uk, From my experience when skis get too stiff for me I tend to end up going back to skidding/skarving them everywhere. Certainly not much fun when you could be laying down railroad traks even in tight radius turns. Perhaps its just me (won't be the first time Laughing ) but I always feel very sensitive to a ski being too stiff, whereas a heavier skier can get away with it due to being able to compress the ski more and absorb the power of the ski better.

Glide+Slide are having an Atomic Demo day sometime in November at XScape Castleford. I'll badger them to bring some different sizes in the B5 instead of the standard issue 162.
This B5 and lightweight skier thing needs some more testing Toofy Grin

MrTheMike, Sorry for taking your thread off topic Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rockyrobin Re the Glide+Slide Atomic Demo day sometime in November at XScape Castleford.

Keep me in the loop re this one.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, No worries mate, will do.
I noticed they had a few pairs of Volant skis kicking round the other day. They had stainless steel top sheets, very bling bling Laughing Price of them I think is just short of a grand! I hope they're demoing them as I want a picture of them attached to my boots Cool

I wonder if snowheads could get in on the act with them like they did with EB?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, Will you try it on your new skis and let me know, please? Laughing No, seriously, it's a mild form of that that happens when you stand a ski on its edge - the wide bit at the shovel and tail flattens a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey wow cool, thanks for all the answers. Razz

I've been doing some research and thinking that maybe the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuels might be a great choice too, any nice reviews or feedback on these?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MrTheMike, WTFH loves them, but they were not released in the european market last year - only US apparently. Which means less people have tried them over here, and no cheap deals for last year's model. Boooo! Distributer in UK is TKC Sales (nordica@tkcsales.co.uk).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah ok, i was wondering why there was a lack of reviews for those skis on the boards.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah yes, I missed the "Location : NJ" bit !! snowHead is still predominantly UK (for now!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy