Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dates - got in 7 days 11/3/12 to 17/3/12

Transport - Eurostar to Paris, TGV to BSM, back overnight by Eurostar. I liked it but wifey not so sure, especially the overnight return. We did not book in time to get the best trains - there is a direct train from St Pancras at 09:38 arriving BSM 18:51 and returning 09:48 to 16:11 which seem to me to be the best timings - both fully booked by the time we looked.

Accommodation - rabbit hutch in Les Glieres - tiny, shabby but cheap - booked through Locasun for less than £200. 5 mins fast walk to Funicular, and 4 mins to LIDL. Local agent CIS were very good, allowing to leave our bags in their office on the Saturday whilst we skiied.

Weather - Hot hot hot - 15C! Freeze/thaw/slush slush slush (you get the idea) with lots of hardpack on upper runs. To be frank - not great but we enjoyed sitting in the many sun-drenched terraces. I would love to go back in better snow conditions - some of the lower runs were slushy by lunchtime, and I never did get to Vilaroger.

Skiing - brilliant. If you have not been here it is absolutely superb for intermediates (like most of us) with many of the reds more like blues. The interconnectedness is amazing - no part of the resort is more than 2 lifts away from any other, meaning that you can move very easily around this vast area. We did not bother with a La Plagne extension despite skiing for 7 days. Keen skiers may want to, but everyone I spoke to thought that Les Arcs was better than La Plagne (but it may be different if you speak to people in La Plagne). Not a resort I would take an absolute beginner to - there are better places to learn and some of the blues would be very off-putting to newbies.

Bourg St Maurice. A real working town, connected by the Funicular with Arc 1600. Runs every 20 mins and takes about 10 to go up 800 metres verically - I thought it excellent. Town is not that touristy - best restaurants are probably on Le Grande Rue out of the ones we tried La Ruelle seemed good value and La Savoyarde a little bit pricier but with more authentic food. All the ones near the station are probably best avoided, as you would expect.

Ski Hire - we used Precision in Arc 1600, about 50 metres from the top Funicular station. I cannot recommend them highly enough - very friendly and efficent. We hired budget skis at 45 euros online - and these were much better than we were... We also hired a locker there at 40 euros for the week, which will take at least 4 sets of skis and boots. Meant that we could chill out in 1600 without having to schlepp around in boots carrying skis - also meant we did not have to take them on the funicular.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbotbeentaken, Thanks for that - its always good to hear how people have got on after they've asked advice Very Happy You certainly chose a hot week - its several degrees colder now & snowing again snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy