Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why design a ski with the narrowest point not in the middle??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can someone give an informed and clear answer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any examples of this? or is it a general question?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you name one that does the narrowest point exactly half way down/up the ski?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's exactly my point - I have recently measured a couple of skis and have found that the middle of the running surface (the bit that actually touches the snow) is not where the waist (narrowest point) of the ski is.

So, assuming your boot/binding is mounted in the centre of the running surface (which is a big assumption I know but let's go with it for the moment) what in your view would be the effect of the waist being forward or backward of this point...

Personally I can't think through the physics of it but I'm hoping someone can shed some light...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you would think that the waist being nearer the toe would give you a shorter radius if you have your weight forward. No idea why that would be better than a more neutral shorter radius ski. You would get a longer radius on you heels, and fall down more Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or would it be the other way round?? Is there a geometry guru out there?

Even if you didn't move your weight forward or backward (which is clearly completely unrealistic) what would be the effect - just so we understand the effect of the waist being off centre?

Can anyone help?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Generally, the waist is under the centre of the foot and on most traditional skis, this is a little aft of the middle of the ski. In fact, the toe of the boot has traditionally been at the middle of the ski.
Currently there are many skis out there where the waist is further forward and, consequentially, so is the centre of the boot. This does usually make a shorter radius turn.

I'm not really sure what having the boot centre not over the waist would do. I've not tried it but would think that the ski would feel very odd.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Philbo says... most race / piste skis are designed with the narrowest part, the waist being under the boot centre line and the Centre of Running Surface (if you put the ski on a flat surface the mid point between the points that touch the floor) about at the ball of the foot 4 or 5 cm forward of the so that when you pressure the ski it bends at the waist point through the centre of your boot and and the ball of your foot helps directing the ski and to give some tip up float when off piste

Size of foot makes a difference to where you end up on a ski, most bindings are mounted assuming a standard size foot and the toe piece is fixed... SO... if your boot is larger than average you have to move the heel part of the binding back and you end up too far back on the ski.... If you have very long or short feet tyr to get your bindings positioned so the centre of the boot is over the waist...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:

Size of foot makes a difference to where you end up on a ski, most bindings are mounted assuming a standard size foot and the toe piece is fixed... SO... if your boot is larger than average you have to move the heel part of the binding back and you end up too far back on the ski.... .

Shirley this is only true if you are on some rental skis. If you've your own skis then you've only got yourself to blame if you didn't supply the boot or BSl when getting them mounted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, true if you are buying skis but if renting depends on the type of binding... Also the manufacturers "mid point " doesnt always line up with the waist of the ski. Lots of manufacturers put the mark aft so the skis are "easier" to ski on.. ie so you can skid easier. i tend to put all my bindings fore at least 1cm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More float for less hook in powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy