Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

finger injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have an injury I did in late Oct to my right ring finger . I got it caught in a food mixer; it went round and round. Went to ER they X rayed and said it wasn't broken and it was soft tissue and would get better in 2 weeks. It got rapidly better over the first 10 days and since then it hasn't improved much (maybe pain has reduced) , after around 3 weeks I started physio and then did that for around 4 weeks and then he told me it would just take time and it would get better I was leading a normal life and to go home. It hasn't got better; its occasionally painful, I occasionally stub it. The big joint is still swollen and the finger permanently bent forward. It can flex forward about 60% but even wnen pushed does not straighten. I suspect I maybe dislocated it multiple times and then it went back in?

Anyway, will be in UK next week and wondered about getting a private MRI; the wait list here is very long and private ones are exceedingly expensive. The wait for the hand clinic to refer me for MRI would be around 6-7 months for first consultation.

So:
Is it worth getting an MRI to confirm diagnosis/what is going on?
Can I refer myself and get report myself?
Can anyone recommend one in SE england?
I saw these may be 200GBP or so?
If I don't live in UK is this an issue (I suspect not as I am paying)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gryphea, you would need to be referred for an MRI by an orthopaedic surgeon on their advice. First port of call is a consultation. Have you been back to your doctor? Each decent sized hospital in the SE will have an orthopaedic surgeon with a special interest or sole role in hand surgery so investigate the hospitals close to where you are staying.
An MRI wait of 6-7 months is a very long one these days Confused

Hope you get sorted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditto, however, you can see an ortho surgeon privately. If you are planning on having a private MRI, then consider this, especially if your time in the UK is limited. The wait for an appointment with a hand surgeon can also be frustratingly long on the NHS but not of the 6-7 month variety ( more likely weeks).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Skool, sorry I did mean to say private. Presumed would have to be as gryphea is not a UK resident and also has time constraints.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea, I don't think you need an MRI as a first port of call, you need to see a good consultant surgeon and a good sports physio. You know what kind of forces the finger was subjected to, and so they can have a very good idea of the nature and extent of injury. The mobility restrictions will be diagnostic. Try Stanmore.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2, everybody wants MRIs these days, thankfully they are not self referral wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lou wrote:
valais2, everybody wants MRIs these days, thankfully they are not self referral wink

Lou, there are some places you can self refer!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gryphea, good luck with it. I think you can find places where you can self refer (I know one but it is in the North West). They will want a named doctor to be able to send the report to but can't see why they wouldn't send this to your doc in Canada.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, Shocked what is the world coming to? Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The wait for an appointment with a hand surgeon can also be frustratingly long on the NHS but not of the 6-7 month variety .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys. The tricky thing is that in Calgary we no longer have a family doctor or GP. Ours moved and new doctors arriving at our surgery have full lists. Its a bizzare system and I think around 20% of Calgarian population don't have a family doctor cos they can't get one. I can get an appointment at my local surgery but they won't refer people who aren't their patients. So I need to go to a walk-in; this takes a lot of time.

Am in UK; but have now run out of time............
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy