Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alyeska Alaska

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This a fantastic little resort. An expert skiers paradise with loads of challenging terrain. Much of which is lift accessed but there are plenty lines to be had if you like a bit of a climb.
Yesterday was a bumper powder day with 70 cm of powder. For some time coming down at a rate of 10cm per hour! Today was epic as it snowed some more and combined with some wind covered all the tracks form yesterday.

The only problem is that it is spring break and relatively busy for the US.

I look forward to tomorrow...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Epic

Pics if you can please
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would if I knew how. Is there somewhere on the site that explains how to load pictures?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Downhill Sailor wrote:
I would if I knew how. Is there somewhere on the site that explains how to load pictures?

no where on the site to host pics but what I do is upload the pics to my facebook account... then go into your facebook account... right click the photo and 'open in a new window' then that individual photo comes up in its own window with the UNIQUE URL in the address bar at the top. Copy and paste that URL in here per picture in the form of [img][/img] with the bit between the two brackets being the pasted url of the picture and hey presto the photo should show up. Sounds long winded but its not really that hard and is pretty quick.

On a separate note we're thinking of going here for a few days on our honeymoon in April / May time 2014. Followed by a few days cat / heliskiing (a week to ten days hopefully) and then perhaps to Hawaii for some sun before coming home again. Thoughts / comments? Good time of the year? Consistant flyable weather? Reasonably priced accommodation? Fly to Ancourage and then internal from there is it? Any thoughts and comments from anyone would be very much appreciated.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Downhill Sailor wrote:

no where on the site to host pics but what I do is upload the pics to my facebook account... then go into your facebook account... right click the photo and 'open in a new window' then that individual photo comes up in its own window with the UNIQUE URL in the address bar at the top. Copy and paste that URL in here per picture in the form of [img][/img] with the bit between the two brackets being the pasted url of the picture and hey presto the photo should show up. Sounds long winded but its not really that hard and is pretty quick.

On a separate note we're thinking of going here for a few days on our honeymoon in April / May time 2014. Followed by a few days cat / heliskiing (a week to ten days hopefully) and then perhaps to Hawaii for some sun before coming home again. Thoughts / comments? Good time of the year? Consistant flyable weather? Reasonably priced accommodation? Fly to Ancourage and then internal from there is it? Any thoughts and comments from anyone would be very much appreciated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A guide to adding photos to posts

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601

This includes details of how to host your photos in the snowmediazone
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus,
I have just got back from Alaska where I skied Alyeska then went to ski with Alaska heli ski in Haines.
Girdwood in Alyeska is very small, there are a few b&b's, a supermarket and a bar. It is also a bit of an uphill walk to the ski slopes so not ideal. If you can afford it there is a very nice hotel at the base of the cable car in Alyeska.
I stayed in Anchorage which is only about 40 minutes away and the drive is very pleasent indeed. The resort only opens at 10 so the comute to get the first lift is easy, there is also night time skiing at the weekend.
Chugach powder guides are based in the Hotel in Alyeska, I would not bother with the cat skiing, it would be more benificial for you to take some touring kit as you can access amazing terrain from the lifts. I chose Alaska heli ski as they were considerably cheaper than CPG. I was not dissapointed as although the accommodation was extremely basic the guides were very proffessional, we had two per group! The second guide is an assistant and has to pay for his heli time so we were always getting great lines and there was no farming of lines like Point North do in Cordova who I had a very unpleasant experience with and will never use them again!
It is definately worth doing the resort time to get your ski legs before the heli as the heli skiing is unreal and you can be taken to some amazing lines that you really need a reasonable level of fitness.
I had great weather in March the snow was very good condition and there were many blue sky days with also 30" of snow which fell over 2 days. I may have been very lucky as the weather in Alaska is very unpredictable.
Have you thought of renting an RV or is that too rough for a honeymoon? you could use it in Girdwood then drive it to Haines which is also very small. This is what I am going to do next year as if I can get time off I will definately be going back to ski with Alaska heli ski! We also flew every day I was there which is rare.
Any other questions I hope I can help you with.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Downhill Sailor,

Can you give an idea of the costs involved?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Downhill Sailor, wow, a whole different world of skiing, which I will never experience. It must be truly wonderful.
Just to demonstrate my ignorance, I was wondering what "farming of lines" meant.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Top Place & http://seaba-heli.com/ are great,

Keep it quiet wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BOD,
It is impossible to give you an idea of cost as there are way too many variables, especially on flights and the type of accommodation you are accustomed to. You are the only one that can work out your own budget!
Alyeska ski resort is 60 dollars for a day pass if that helps.
I always try and keep costs down as much as possible when on holiday but when I return I do not want to know how much I spent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica,
Farming of lines is a heli ski company only taking their clients to the same mountains/ runs so that they can leave fresh lines for the next group on another mountain and so on...
That way if it does not snow the clients coming after a drought can get some fresh tracks, but the downfall is that you are skiing next to tracks that your group laid earlier.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Downhill Sailor, oh right. Thanks very much. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy