Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne

bloxy
bloxy
What a dump!

Last edited by bloxy on Sun 18-03-12 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bloxy, Are you serious!? Twisted Evil

I spent a great couple of days in La Plagne last weekend, skiing from 9 to 5 both days and worse queue encountered was about 20 people.

As in most large resorts you can follow the crowds and suffer bad queues but these can also be easily avoided if you know where to go
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
Deleted

Last edited by bloxy on Sun 18-03-12 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bloxy , Did you go 25th Feb to 4th March like I did . . It was an unusualy late French ski hol week that week , , hence unusually big crowds . . Normally , I have had great hols in La Plagne . . Nick G . .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to the 3 Vallies, Tignes/Val D'Isere, Les Arcs, The Dolomites and La Plagne, and some others
La Plagne is not my favourite but I would go again.
Its a great place.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from a w/s 5 march. Stayed in Belle Plagne which was lovely and would go back. Alot of queues on the sunny 6th, but aside from that day, never had to wait more than 5 minutes, and alot of the time the key chairlifts and gondala's were very quiet. The slopes likewise, apart from the key pinchpoints. Appreciate the architecture isnt great.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bloxy wrote:
What a dump! Truly horrendous resort centre. Poor lift system (big chairs don't make it good).
Overcrowded pistes full of people with no ability to change speed or direction.
Huge queues at unavoidable bottlenecks. Queues nearly every where else. Good if you like standing in a line of smokers for half an hour!
Only good point was the cable car to get to Les Arcs which is less crowded has a more coherent lift system and the snow was better. Just a huge pain in the neck to get to it from the other end of La Plagne because of the lift queues.
There is a whole world out there, go somewhere else it's bound to be better.

Which part of the resort did you stay in and when?

Since they are still building in 1800 they really could do with upgrading a few more of the slow chairs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I liked it. Only been twice once was Jan 2011 and there hadn't been any snow for a while. We stayed in 1800 not allot going on and pretty much all chalets and looks a bit nicer than some of the other centres (the newer ones are nicer generally). Typiclaly mainstream France expensive food and drink on the mountain but all in all I really rated it, huge area, we experienced very little in the way of qeues. Despite the lack of fresh snow we found teriffic off piste. Although it isn't particualry celebrated for it's off piste there was loads.

Sounds like you hit a French holiday week-better planning required next time?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We own a place in Les Arcs but our preference is to ski La Plagne. We love it there. If the Vanoise wasn't in place we would not have bought in Les Arcs. Each to their own. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bloxy, I actually agree. Scene of the only ski holiday I have ever had where I actually wanted to come home. Admittedly it was a very long time ago but I didn't feel like it was a resort, just a few small non-connected apartment complexes, no village atmosphere, nothing to see or do. The one where I was based had literally nothing, no shops, just one hideously expensive restaurant. The apartment was rubbish, cramped, dirty, no facilities. The snow when I went was rubbish, so we had to get a crowded bus and about five lifts to actually get to some skiing which was extremely busy due to the lack of snow elsewhere (I realize the resort is not at fault for lack of snow). Didn't find any nice mountain huts, just a few self-service 'factories', very unfriendly people, no atmosphere or charm.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can very easily get trapped in a soup of boring, crowded blue runs and the corresponding busy lifts if you hang around Plagne Centre and esp Belle Plagne (sic). Outside that left hand side of the LP bowl there is some good skiing on that side of the Paradiski area if the snow goes down to Monty, Les Coches & Champagny.

But generally, I agree, the place is a ugly. They really ought to knock Aime(sic)-l-P down and leave it down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
But generally, I agree, the place is a ugly. They really ought to knock Aime(sic)-l-P down and leave it down.

It's the french equivalent of a 'listed building' apparently...

There's also a lot of work been done over the last few years on prettyfying the exteriors of a good numbers of the blocks in centre, it's not 1/2 as bad as it used to be.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

just a few small non-connected apartment complexes, no village atmosphere, nothing to see or do.

well it is still very disjointed village wise, but, im there for the skiing
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
Deleted

Last edited by bloxy on Sun 18-03-12 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not overly fussy, but I like La Plagne. It offers a vast variety of skiing, and good just about everything else. Only been there a couple of times - Plagne Belcotte I think, but suitltably impressed.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
bloxy, miserable
ski holidays
bloxy, As you were there on a freebie anyway, why didn't you pay some cash & hire a guide who would have had you jumping any queues & found you quiet areas to ski Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to La Plagne four times, I think it's a great resort. I was there just before Christmas and it was the busiest I've ever seen it with quite big queues in places because the resort wasn't fully open. But the snow was up there with the best I've ever skied on, and you could ski right down to Champagny on a wonderful red. If you avoided Plagne Centre and Belle Plagne there were no queues.

As said, if you know where to go, you can easily avoid the queues. When you add it in with Les Arcs, there is a simply VAST amount of skiing to be had.

Yes Aime is ugly, and some of the areas lack charm, but you could say the same about many French mega-resorts.

There are a lot of blues around the central part of the resort, but if you look a little further afield there is plenty of variety and lots of vertical to be had.

I would certainly go again - although not for a while as the four trips have all been quite recently and I'm a bit "Plagned-out"!
snow conditions
Have been there twice in previous years, was there in January, and going back there again tomorrow. [Ulterior motive: broke ribs in Jan so don't feel as though I finished that holiday Sad ]

I would rate the whole ski area as inferior to Tignes/VdI but I prefer it to Three Valleys. Now that *is* always rammed whenever I've been there.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
bloxy, miserable

yes, he is isnt he? Laughing

Ive had a few hols in La plagne (Belle Plagne) and loved them all. bloxy seems so have suffered the crowds and the warm weather that week - it would be very narrow minded to judge a whole resort for a whole season based on one week (actually he has judged the whole Country!! Laughing )

bloxy - can you tell your friend/acquaintance that as you wont be making use of their chalet again that I am more than happy to do so?
snow conditions
Quote:

can you tell your friend/acquaintance that as you wont be making use of their chalet again that I am more than happy to do so?

Laughing but preferably not at peak French holiday time. A bit like writing off Cornwall after a wet August bank holiday. wink
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, well exactly...

I'm something of an aeaesthete myself (although my spelling is poor) but even I wouldn't let my architectural distaste ruin what otherwise sounds like a decent holiday.

One wonders whether there is more to this than meets the eye... Did Mrs bloxy become too matey with her ski instructor? Were the plates/meals/showers not hot enough? Did he fly Ryanair? all of the above?

Heigh ho, I'm off to Tignes today which by all accounts is the Susan Boyle of ski resorts - I'll try to keep my chin up... snowHead
latest report
Obviously I can forgive a resort for bad conditions. That can happen anywhere. And I don't doubt La Plagne/Les Arcs is a good ski area when more of it is open. But I want more. I want a pretty proper Alpine village atmosphere, nice mountain huts, a welcoming and comfortable hotel, a few shops and bars to browse, friendly people, stunning views, basically the whole Alpine experience. That's where La Plagne falls down for me and I won't be returning. I could also say the same for Tignes, Flaine and parts of 3V. Each to their own eh?
ski holidays
The more that hate La Plagne the better Toofy Grin

Personally if in a bad mood I only have to visualise myself at the top of Inversions, Les sources, Pierres Blanches or La Roche to put a big smile on my face. Better still in a weeks time I will be there.

As for the architectural beauty, its about as ugly as most inner city Britain? One should not throw stones in glass houses.
snow report
So we have ourselves a moaner.

Free accom should more then make up for any issues with the resort. The home runs in the main bowls are pedestrian, but there are good runs if you take the time to find them and plan your day to avoid belle plagne queues!
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
In view oh the personal insults I have removed all posts except my overall review of the resort.
snow report
Have to agree with the criticism of the lift system.........................
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy