Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Look Pivot/Rossi FKS bindings and tree wells...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Normally to release the bindings by poking the heel piece with the pole you have to get it in between the sticky-up heel bit and your boot because the top has only a big slotted adjuster screw which is a bit of a pain - so much so it is often easier to stand on them. I found doing this upside-down, covered in snow, dangling in a tree-well is really quite tricky! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How did you get out of the tree well?

And how did you get into it in the first place?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Walter-Spitty wrote:
How did you get out of the tree well?

Eventually with enough poking around and the help of the guy I was skiing with, got the skis off, much easier to get out without skis on. Smile

Walter-Spitty wrote:
And how did you get into it in the first place?

Skied round a corner in some tight trees to find aforementioned friend waiting there, tried to go round him, ran out of snow...
It was more of a tree ledge than a well in this case (sort of like half a tree well, since the other half was off the edge of a bit of a drop, and hence a bit less worrying, but getting in/out of it ws much the same as being upsdide down in a standard tree well.

Really quite like the Pivot/FKS bindings, but this is certainly a bit of an issue for me. In this case it was relatively easy to be calm since it wasn't really a complete tree well, and there was someone to help right there, so I could take the time to think about getting the bindings popped, but I've been in worse spots...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely a lever between the ski and boot (presumably in the gap in the centre) would generate enough force to be able to pop you out of the binding? You were hanging upside down by your skis and they didn't release? What DIN setting are you running? Sounds pretty unpleasant.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium wrote:
Surely a lever between the ski and boot (presumably in the gap in the centre) would generate enough force to be able to pop you out of the binding? You were hanging upside down by your skis and they didn't release? What DIN setting are you running? Sounds pretty unpleasant.

Yes, it does eventually pop them, but is pretty awkward to do - even when the right way up.
My other rossi axial bindings, markers , and sollies, all have an indentation directly on top you can just push down on directly - fks/pivot has it on what is effectively the side so much harder to get to.
My DIN is high enough not to fall out easily (ironically a big advantage of these bindings is that actually you can run a lower din becasue they are super elastic). Even with a lower DIN you probably wouldn't want to try and pull/twist youself out of the bindings as big movements risk you going in the well further and burying yourselft more.

In this case, I wasn't really hanging from my skis, just I was in a bit of a hole, and they were kind of at the top in a branch.
I've done a bit of "practice" falling in tree wells and this one wasn't really too much of a problem or too worrying - though it does highlight the advantages/importance of sticking close to your tree skiing buddies (possibly too close in this case which caused the issue in the first place! snowHead )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy