Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which mid-fat's ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i'm a 40 year old, 5'9" 205lb strong intermediate skier looking for a set of mid-fat (85-90mm) skis, to spend more time off piste without sacrificing frontside performance. My average season consists of 2-3 weeks in colorado (late jan-early feb) and a week in france (mid march), where i've recentley demoed the k2 aftershocks and had a blast. The atomic crimson's & salomon lords review very highly, while the now retired rossi s86's are still avaliable online reasonably priced. I would describe myself of more stylist than aggressive charger and any views would be warmly recieved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Mission would suite, good technical on piste, very good off, handles everything well. Mission is to go next year so perhaps need to buy this year. Having skied the popular mid fats, the Mission out skis them all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sirgarfield33, I love my White Dot Preacher 112 under foot but don’t be put off by that great on and off piste will put a smile on your face Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glen Charman wrote:
sirgarfield33, I love my White Dot Preacher 112 under foot but don’t be put off by that great on and off piste will put a smile on your face Very Happy

This ^^.

Do a search for Preacher reviews. They truly are an amazing ski. The only problems you might have is finding one this late in the season, and keeping the grim off your face.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sirgarfield33, go a bit fatter... Volkl Mantra territory.
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
Alans deep bath wrote:

+1 for the Vokl Mantra, carves like a GS race ski on the hard pack, blasts through crud and is perfect in powder a real all round single quiver ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skier from Argentina wrote:
Glen Charman wrote:

This ^^.

Do a search for Preacher reviews. They truly are an amazing ski. The only problems you might have is finding one this late in the season, and keeping the grim off your face.

Whitedot Ones are pretty good too... 89mm underfoot, good on and off piste...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alans deep bath wrote:

+1 also. We both typically ski on FIS race skis, GS and SL but this year have almost exclusively skied our Mantras.

They're just awesome. Cutting through slush this afternoon like it was not even there...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sirgarfield33, ^^^ Good advice. I have Missions, Mantras and Preachers (yeah, I'm a lucky guy!). My order of preference is:

1. Preacher
2. Mantra
3. Mission

.... but that's a personal thing - I don't know how you ski. Why not see if you can test them?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another +2 for the Mantras, love mine and Kate much prefers her Auras (female version) to her Legend Sultan 94s.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I won't comment on which ones but if you do decide to go for the Whitedot skis they are half price at the moment....

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/399/whitedot_freeride.aspx

(im trying to convince myself that I dont have enough money at the moment!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4frnt msps great allrounders
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm assuming the DPS cheerleaders are still at work (they'd have to be, to afford DPS skis) but I'm startled no-one has suggested a Wailer of some kind, yet Smile

I've been using some old K2 Backlashes which I've been reasonably happy with; I think the current model filling that role is the Sideshow. If you're mostly doing (or intending to do) directly lift-served off piste and not a whole lot of skinning then they're probably less interesting to you, though.

I seem to recall the last time I asked a similar question to you, the Movement Trust was suggested, but I've not tried those myself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh, Just for you , I'll weigh in with the new wailer 99 , but in the hybrid form , great resort performance with great float and off piste performance , also kastle mx 88 is a great all mountain ski .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
papasmurf, I'll second that - a fantastic ski. Got mine from Freeze Pro in Edinburgh - they do mail order and provide a very good service.
latest report
carbon_copy wrote:
Serriadh, Just for you , I'll weigh in with the new wailer 99 , but in the hybrid form , great resort performance with great float and off piste performance , also kastle mx 88 is a great all mountain ski .

What he said ^^

Shame that the DPS ends up so costly with import tax etc. Agree to go with the slightly damper hybrid unless you are touring much in which case the pure is unrivalled(save for the $£).

Perhaps the Kastle MX108 or the DPS 105 Wailer might be worth a perusal Confused
ski holidays
Movement Jam
136-85-117

Does it all, and does it with aplomb.
ski holidays
I have just done 5 weeks in France and Switzerland on a pair of Fisher Watea's that only cost €310 including bindings. I left my Movement Flames and Scott Missions in their bag. The Wateas coped well with 40cm of powder in Davos and the icy moguls of Argentiere, a real one ski quiver. I'm 5' 8" and 77kg and can be called an advanced skier, I though the 167cm length might have been too short, but they were just right. Another ski worth considering.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Movement Jam
136-85-117

Does it all, and does it with aplomb.

Only tried these in MK fridge, but even there was a very nice ski to be on. Quality build too, my wife has a pair of Movement Spicys which still look brand new after 3 months solid use.
snow conditions
Have a look at Storm skis, some cracking good deals on new last season stock on ebay usually.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So relieved that the white dots were only 169s left, was reaching for the card for a purchase I really can't afford!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy