Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which are the outstanding European ski mountains?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One interesting aspect of the Alps is that most of the highest or most famous mountains remain unmechanised. The Grossglockner, highest mountain in Austria, has a small ski area which isn't used much. The Mont Blanc, Eiger and Matterhorn are essentially for climbers only - skiers merely play in the 'stalls' of the latter, skirting across the glaciers or mellow runs below the main bulk of the mountain.

The highest mountain in Germany - the Zugspitze - is probably the most mechanised of the national summits, though its skiing is a bit disjointed because the overall terrain doesn't really lend itself to the sport.

The Monte Rosa group (multiple peaks) that form the highest points of Switzerland and Italy have magnificent skiing, but it's only accessible by skin or helicopter.

In my book the greatest lift-accessed ski mountain in Europe is the Aiguille Rouge above Les Arcs. It has the distinction of providing the fastest run in the world - the Flying Kilometre track down to Arc 2000 - and a steep mogul field to the side of it. Primarily it has the quite magnificent black run down to Villaroger. But I've never skied any off-piste from the Aiguille Rouge. Can anyone fill us in on that?

Which European mountains do you consider outstanding for skiing? Or which ski runs have given you the greatest pleasure of all?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-09-05 10:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith,

The Grand Montet has to be up there. I really like Titlis, Crest d' Arp is nice. Punta Indren is v good as well but I don't know what will happen to that when the old cable car goes. But the Aquille du Midi serves some fabulous routes amongst spectacular scenery so I would vote for that.

All those hills have given me immense pleasure which is why I keep going back to them. Still on the lookout for others tho'.

So from this good thread I might get some more ideas
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the foot of the Eiger is the run "Oh God", definitely deserves a mention - great views and an interesting run.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, I'd hate to try and ski the nothern sides of the Eiger, specifically the north wall, you could ski above what's technically it's sothern face though you'd be skiing on hundreds of meters of solid ice as it's the Aletsch glacier. However its North Western face adjoining the Monch has been skied before on several occasions, insanity and a very good guide are reccomended for such a route
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only had a look - as the lifts were closed - at the Bellecote, That is supposed to serve some pretty good routes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm - so what counts as a ski mountain? I suppose most of the great mountains gained their reputation as mountaineering objectives. Anything that any number of people can ski down, isn't going to be too hard to climb up.

Also altitude brings with it objective dangers such as more extreme cold, windspeeds; and greater likelihood of glaciation. So, I am told that much of the normal route up Mont Blanc isn't too hard to ski but it is subject to rockfall, icefall and crevasses. It also seems right that famous mountains shouldn't be mechanised. It's a different scale, but who isn't disappointed when, having climbed up Snowdon, they find a cafe and a railway track?

Having said all this, La Meije certainly counts as a great mountain, and can probably be classes as a ski mountain thanks to the La Grave lifts (although strictly the top of the lift system is the Dome de Lauze and you have to ski under the Rateau before you get to the slopes of La Meije).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I reckon you're right. La Meije is probably the greatest mountain in Europe in terms of off-piste potential.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, I have skied down through the nature reserve off to one side of the Aguille Rouge. You climb the ridge from the side of the black, just off the glacier,and finish up in Le Pre. I was with an ESF Guide. Beautiful scenery, but against the law to be there if I understood him correctly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny wrote:
but against the law to be there if I understood him correctly.

You need to be with a guide to ski into (it's a nature reserve), or I think it's OK if you have a particular permit/licence obtained by taking some kind of test/course offered by one of the local authorities. Other than that, it is off limits to other skiers/boarders.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, I vividly remember the "Don't fall and hurt yourself, because rescue will not come here" lecture Shocked . Positive outlook or what!! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, I vividly remember the "Don't fall and hurt yourself, because rescue will not come here" lecture Shocked . Positive outlook or what!! Laughing

Bet it kept you on your toes though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, Sadly not, it unsettled me, and I had a big fall on breakable crust. This resulted in me not venturing off piste for about 4 winters due to loss of confidence. Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Andorra is the most underated. The new linked ski area is fantastic - now that they have sorted out the 100 year old feud !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a softs spot for the Peclet above Val Thorens. Not the scariest looking mountain but its great dome has been described as Himalyan in the 3V off-piste book. And I can see what they are getting at. It surrounds the resort and defines the riding with its brooding bulk [yes a cliche but show me a happy smiley mountain]

Lifts run up both sides provide some good on-piste runs. The Peclet Funitel's reds and the short but always sweet Col red. but the central West Face is not encroached on. It has to accessed by a trek from the top of the Col lift. By going round the back and up to the crest. It remains an ambition to ride the West Face, I've either been in VT too early or too late in the season.

The view of the back of the hill from the top of Col lift is also splendid. a glacial plateau, a mini mer d'glace. I do wish I'd been around in the 70s when they did have a few tows on it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy