Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of booking a last minute ski week in the Alps for one of the first two weeks in April - the Easter school holidays. We have 2 young girls 8 & 5 who have only had one week ski experience.

We have never been so late in the season before, and I'm worried about reports of no snow, bad snow, slushy snow etc st that time of year. It's a lot of money to spend if conditions are not good!

Can anyone offer any advice/reassurance? Remember our kids are novices so we can't go to the higher steeper slopes - blues and greens are their level.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been April skiing once or more before, with good or bad experiences! If the best thing is to save our money until next season, please be honest, maybe we will!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're that concerned I'd hold off until next winter can't really offer reassurance other than if you book don't waste your time worrying about what the weather may or may not be like. Higher slopes aren't necessailry steeper-actually glacier areas can be pretty flat. Skiing a bit smarter helps too choosing which aspect of the mountain to ski and what time of the day.

Things have plenty of time to change but worst case you will probably have hard to icy pistes in the am then chopped up slush in the afternoon, may be patchy on lower runs. I've skied several times in April and in low altitude resorts and had a great time (I do love slush though) It's a great time to be in the mountains, I've been in Pila when it's been in the high 20's skiing in a T-shirt and having BBQ = snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simonskis, If you went somewhere like Les Arcs, based on the snow they have had this year, I think you will be fine. It is high, but there are still plenty of easy runs for your kids.

Put it like this, I'm having similar thoughts and we have been there at Easter for the last 3 years and had plenty of skiing. Even last year when conditions were dire.

But it's weather, you can't guarantee that there won't be a freak heat wave in the next few weeks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pick a high resort! The Snowheads EoSB goes to Val Thorens the last week in April every year and always find decent skiing, even if it does get a bit slushy at village level by mid afternoon. Plenty of choice of blues and greens and at their age a week of decent ski school will have them skiing pretty much anything! Me and the kids are off Les Deux Alpes the second week of the Easter hols, has had decent snow that week most years and if the worst comes to the worst there is still the glacier. Am hoping for some spring weather at some point in the week so I can prove to the girls I am not telling fibs when I say I've been skiing in the mountains in just a tshirt on my top half.
If the thought of icy slopes worries your kids and you are anywhere in the Midlands head off to Tamworth fridge for a session or two, two years ago on the EoSB my second week in the mountains after learning at Tamworth, first run of first lesson, 'follow me down to the lifts and we will split you into groups' said the instructor so off we set, well off 4 of us set, me thinking it WOW this is just like a huge freshly groomed Tamworth, the other dozen or so low hours learners declared it a icy death trap and refused to go near it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I shared the slopes with Boris, in Les Arcs last year (although didn't know it!), it was hot and relatively speaking there'd not been much snow last year - we still had great fun and skied 9am- 4pm most days. I think you'll be fine to go, whilst the snow is unlikely to be perfect all week you might get some surprises and it's probably nicer for the kids to go when it's not so cold (and there's longer days).

As Grizwald says a lot of resorts with very high glacier access often have easier slopes near the top. Les Deux Alpes is a perfect example, it's very gentle up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Simonskis,
Have been skiing every April with my kids since they were younger than yours.
I actually think that for young children who are beginning April is an excellent time, they are not bothered by the slush as the day progresses and there is not a problem about being cold.
Last year was the worst April I can remember and you needed a bit of height at least in the Western alps but we still had some reasonable skiing, although not the best but there was plenty of gentle stuff for young children. Most years I have had really good skiing and not had to go particularly high to get it, though I do like to go to resorts that are predominantly north facing at this time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the help everyone! T Bar - why North facing, is that something to do with the sun? And how do I find out which way the resort faces? Considering three valleys, les arcs at the moment - any other recommendations?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, +1, taken my kids over Easter for the past 11 years, they'd hate half term blizzards and cold temps!!

Simonskis, 3 valleys would be a good choice, most of the Courchevel slopes face north, try this company, took my young uns with them for years http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes is safest for late snow and will Val d' opens more choice of runs and spring snow slopes. Take plenty of sunscreen!! particularly in the solaise area as it's name suggests, I was badly burnt there some years ago and had to ski in a mask in April! The sun late bounces up off the big snow crystals burning up facing contours like nose, underchin and particularly ears. But what conditions there will be this year for late skiing fantastic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic, apart from last Easter where the snow was tons better in the "low Austrian resorts" like St Anton...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simonskis wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone! T Bar - why North facing, is that something to do with the sun? And how do I find out which way the resort faces? Considering three valleys, les arcs at the moment - any other recommendations?

North facing is to do with the sun , when the sun hits the snow as the season progresses it tends to melt it and the snow softens and may get slushy. Overnight it will often refreeze and become icy. This melt freeze cycle can actually create great conditins off piste at the rihgt time of day , but on piste although a bit of gloop is fine it is also good to ski that is not too affected by the sun.
Good queston about how to find north facing slopes , some reviews will tell you and otherwise just ask on snowHead 's I don't know a reliable source.

FWIW in the three valleys Courchevel and Val Thorens have a lot of north facing slopes, Meribel is predominantly East/West. Les Arcs from memory has quite a few North facing slopes. Both areas should be reliable in April if a little pricey.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simonskis, check out resorts on http://www.igluski.com/ in the resort summary it lists which direction the slopes face.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
April is usually really excellent. Unless there is some record breaking heatwave, then this year should be no exception. Altitude and north facing slopes are usually needed. Some places I would recommend are:

Espace Killy (Tignes and VDI) - France
Zillertal (Hintertux) - Austria
Paradiski ( La Plagne and Les Arcs) - France
Banff (Lake Louise and Sunshine Village)- Canada

Tignes and Hintertux are as snow sure as it gets in Europe.

I hope this helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't say I'd travel as far as Canada to get some spring skiing in? Lot's of travel for no or little marginal reward.

Europe spring skiing at least as good and easier to get to.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Can anyone offer any advice/reassurance? Remember our kids are novices so we can't go to the higher steeper slopes - blues and greens are their level.
Hmm.....That old chestnut rolling eyes A common misconception but it doesn't necessarily follow that the higher you go the steeper it must get. Most of the European ski area glaciers have some very moderate (if not almost nursery-esque) terrain - as well as the guarantee of excellent snow into May/June.

In terms of non-glaciers, Val d'Isere has some very gentle (and very long) blue/green runs at altitude - so that would fit the bill perfectly.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, decided to leave it seriously late to make a decision, then try and do a cheeky fly drive, probably to Geneva, perhaps 3/4 days. I figure if the major TO's are still selling these weeks in the brochure, then the snow record must be pretty good.

In terms of weather/snow reports, where's the best place to look, and what exactly am I looking for? - Temperature / altitude/Snow depth etc? Not sure what numbers I need to be looking at!
ski holidays
Simonskis, Try Val Thorens. If you can do Self catering and book your own flights and car hire:-

http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/apartments-residence-le-machu-pichu_VTM-H_fp?hc=VTM25&duree=7&dated=2012-04-07

The acommodation is based at 2,200m and from these apartments you walk out on to the slopes. It's an apartment only price of €1088.
snow report
Simonskis, Couple of things one is that fly drive is not a bad idea but you won't usually get better flight prices by booking late in my experience, so I would look for flights now.
I would assume nothing from where the tour operators are selling their holidays, if they have places contracted in a resort and there is a strip of snow they will sell the holiday.
For all its faults the SCGB website is a pretty good aggregator of snow conditions as supplied by the resorts. In general ignore what the SCGB reps say, if conditions are poor they will lie about them.
It is hard to say exactly what numbers tollok at as it is an interplay between them. Personally in early April I am not that bothered by resort height itself but I do like plenty of skiing over 2000m and a fair bit around 2300-2600m on north facing slopes depending a bit on location. Snow depths are notoriously variable but I would look for over 120cm on the upper slopes.
The actual numbers will vary and some years I would be very happy at lower altitudes wheras last year in the Western alps you needed higher ones.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would look for flights now.

Definitely. We did a last minute long weekend at Easter some years ago, and had to pay handsomely for the privelege (for the flights; got a very cheap apartment in Courchevel 1650).

Unless you only have 3 - 4 days you'll get far better value going for a week. If your budget is tight you should find an apartment for considerably less than 1000 euros - it's not school holidays in France.

However, wherever you go in early April, you do need to be ready to deal with big variation in snow conditions - often within the space of an hour, or in changing the aspect of the pistes you are using.

Your kids won't mind in the slightest - they just don't seem to bother about slush, and it's so much nicer when they're not freezing.

Find them a really good ski school for the week - that's the key. There's just nothing like sitting in the sun with a cold beer, looking at snowy mountains. snowHead
snow report
You will find accommodation for the holiday weekend expensive because you'll be straddling two normal weeks.
snow report
JayDub wrote:
April is usually really excellent. Unless there is some record breaking heatwave, then this year should be no exception. Altitude and north facing slopes are usually needed. Some places I would recommend are:

Espace Killy (Tignes and VDI) - France
Zillertal (Hintertux) - Austria
Paradiski ( La Plagne and Les Arcs) - France
Banff (Lake Louise and Sunshine Village)- Canada

Tignes and Hintertux are as snow sure as it gets in Europe.

I hope this helps.

Also saas fee, should be good considering altitude and snow this year. St anton should be good. Whistler looks to be a great bet for snow if you can afford canada.
snow report
TBar sadly for me you were right about booking flights late - Geneva is where I wanted to go but sadly the prices are going up day by day not down, and are now more than I'm prepared to pay. I have found some much cheaper flights to Zurich though which will give us 5 days on the slopes Very Happy

Only problem now is that means either a 5 hour drive to 3V or Paradiski, places I'm familiar with - or I take the gamble and go somewhere unknown to me in Switzerland, or western Austria. I'll start a new thread for recommendations!

Thanks for all the help so far everyone Smile
ski holidays
Simonskis, drive Cool Kids that age is easier to take all their stuff. Unlikely to have weather issues now.

Where you driving from?
ski holidays
Boris

I'm flying to Zurich then renting a car.

The kids are good travellers, I have even considered 'the long drive' but 16 hrs from East Yorkshire is a no go I'm afraid ( until they are older wink )
snow conditions
Simonskis, Ok understand. Early training is the key, ours have been doing the drive since 6 months old, of course taking 2 days is the key!
latest report
Simonskis, I have driven from leeds for the past 3 years with my 2 kids who are now 12 & 8, they say they prefer it to flying!

We leave leeds about 530am, overnight stop near Waldorf this year, then a relatively short drive to resort the next day.
snow conditions
Boris - I agree training is the key - I warmed them up last year with a drive to EuroDisney, which was fine with an overnight stop in Ashford Smile

Give me another 2 years I reckon we'll attempt it - might even do the overnight Ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge and drive from there!
snow conditions
Simonskis, Harry Potter Audio CDs - ideal to pass the time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris, do you download the Harry Potter Audio CDs from itunes or buy them?
snow conditions
Quote:

But it's weather, you can't guarantee that there won't be a freak heat wave in the next few weeks

Or even a bliaard which caught us out driving from Zermatt late April one year.
latest report
if you can go 07/08 April you'll pick a full package catered chalet up including flights and transfers for around £350-500 pp - bargain. www.snowfinders.co.uk are featuring some on their home page.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone! For the record we ended up in Val Thorens from 9th to 13th April. Snow conditions were FANTASTIC. Glorious sunshine for 2 days then 3 days of almost solid snowfall - a real mix of weather!

I'm now a convert to April skiing, kids loved it, we'll definitely look at doing the same next year! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
kitenski, Another option is an inverter that converts a cigarette lighter socket into a 3 pin plug, then you can give kids laptop in the back and they watch movies to their hearts content. Done Les Arcs and Summer holidays into France now loads of times and it works. We always try and do an overnight. We figure that between UK, eurotunnel and France driving max we will do in a day in 11-12 hours.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy