Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

24th november, which resort is open?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for a long weekend or 1 week from Sat 24th Novemebr. Only plave I can find open is 3 valleys. Is there any other resort I have overlooked? thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Thorens only in the 3Vs, and full opening not guaranteed. The other two valleys will be shut.

Tignes might be open. Hintertux glacier is 365 I believe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes opens on 29 Sep for the season, by 24 Nov you can normally ski the whole of the Grand Motte down to Val Claret. More will be available if the snow gods smile on us snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check Ischgl, though it may be a few days after that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WASHOUT,
Hintertux and stay in Madziet
or
Stubai stay in Neustift
Fly to Munchen
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh Yes .. if Ischgl is open go there ... just a bit further to drive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl opens on 23rd which is spot on. Easier to get to Innsbruck from Aberdeen than to get to Geneva so big bonus point. Priority is best chance of good skiing.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 11-09-12 22:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt if it is a weekend. More accommodation choices.

Tignes if it is a week. Better early skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
Tignes opens on 29 Sep for the season, by 24 Nov you can normally ski the whole of the Grand Motte down to Val Claret.
Apart from last year... Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saas-Fee opens on 1 Nov.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The glacier at Solden opened on 7th September. The rest of the ski area opens on 17th November.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WASHOUT wrote:
Ischgl opens on 23rd which is spot on. Easier to get to Innsbruck from Aberdeen than to get to Geneva so big bonus point. Priority is best chance of good skiing.

When I was flying form Aberdeen into Austria (did it regularly as was a student there the last three years, and my gf lives in Innsbruck) I'd often find KLM Aberdeen-Amsterdam-Munich to be the cheapest/least hassle flight. Other plus is that if you give them 24 hours notice there is no size restriction on luggage size, so get the most enormous ski bag you can find, and put all your skis/equipment/clothes in it, and you only need the one bag for the trip. Munich to Innsbruck/Ischgl/Stubai/etc is also a very easy journey (I used the train most of the time).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With a bit of luck Hintertux could be open all the way to base station, not just the glacier.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all the excellent replys. At the moment its between solden and ischgl, I cant see past austrian hospitality.

clarky999 lufthansa is also flying this route now through frunkfurt. approx £175 (if you book early enough) and excellent connection times Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WASHOUT, I doubt very much if any of the resorts will be fully open by then unless we have a mega start to the season. I was in Sölden in the second week of December in 2009 and only the Giggijoch lifts were open along with the glacier lifts.

To be honest in Austria at least, it is not the amount of snow that dictates how much of a resort is open, more the chances of selling enough lift tickets to make it worthwhile to have the whole infrastructure up and running. Why not get a flight to Innsbruck and then base yourself in and around there. There are easy and relatively quick links to all the skiing areas in that central location, plus two excellent glaciers to fall back on should there be a bit of a snow drought. I would think it would be relatively easy to get a hotel room as at that time of year it is primarily a "business" destination, i.e. Monday to Thursday accommodation only. So the hotels offer good deals for weekenders or full weeks. You could also then rent a car locally (not at the airport) for a better price and drive to any of the places open that take your fancy. Evenings you can participate in any number of activities from good eating to discos or whatever. I think that week may also be the first week of the Christmas Markets which add an extra activity for you to indulge in! Gemütlichkeit overload so to speak! wink wink
snow conditions
samerberg sue. good option. will investigate further.
latest report
Tignes is open 24th Nov! http://www.skicollection.co.uk/Tignes/

Val d'Isere is too, and there are a few in the Pyrenees open on 24th Nov: Cauterets, Saint Lary, Peyragudes, Font Romeu, Les Angles.
ski holidays
dodgy time...no guarantees AT ALL...can you look at other dates...
snow report
Chris Brookes. Dec/Jan are out so it's worth a gamble. better sitting there crying in a bar over a bottle of jager that there is no/poor snow than kicking myself watching snowforecast.com Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Bollocks! The glaciers are your friends anywhere in Europe at that time and there is a great variety of choice from Innsbruck if it is a poor start to the season.

Early response because I'm off to the Hintertux glacier for the day where we have half metre of freshies! snowHead
snow conditions
Ischgl is a good option. Obviously it depends on the snowfall but at least three of the last five years have seen about 75% of the lifts and pistes open at that time of year. They have invested very heavily in snow making.

I'd say Ischgl or Hintertux if the snow conditions are less good.
snow conditions
How is Innsbruck easy to get to from Aberdeen? Not being cheeky, interested if there is a flight option I am missing.
latest report
Quote:
Chris Brookes -Bo11ock$!
That's 100% spot on Samerberg Sue - We've skied decent snow on the glacier at Tignes in early November in an early season drought year (2006) and had powder last November at Stubai when everywhere other than the glaciers was very brown and snowless.

Other than that we've had substantial cover and fantastic November skiing every year for about the past 12 years. The glaciers are indeed our friends wink.

Frankly, it's amazing that some people think there's only 'guaranteed' snow in the Alps from January to March (yawn...).
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
How is Innsbruck easy to get to from Aberdeen? Not being cheeky, interested if there is a flight option I am missing.

Roughly 50% of my flights (whilst studying in Aberdeen) were to Innsbruck airport, the rest to Munich - which airport was determined by price. Plenty of options, though usually via somewhere (I don't know why some people consider that a problem, usually doesn't add much to the journey time). A website like skyscanner should show some options, think my Ibk flights were normally with BA or Lufthansa.
snow report
Ghost Dog. lufthansa is offering good flight options from aberdeen to innsbruck and geneva through frankfurt. they even have a flight out of innsbruck half 6 in the eveining arriving aberdeen late same evening this may give you an extra day of slope or day in innsbruck. I've flown to innsbruck with them twice and both times cost well under £200 return and take in consideration there ski baggage allowance i think this is very good value.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy