Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skia Sweetspot Trainer

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, It's all to do with their head mass vs body mass apparently!
kitenski, asMegamum, says the 12 year old will start to be challenged by their ever changing shape/size.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus, thanks a lot, I tried a few fun drills with my kids, inc twirly birds and doing as many jumps, but they do stay in the back seat, and my eldest has long straight legs which makes it look worse!!

I was only wanting a quick go on the trainer for a bit of fun and personal interest on my side....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In a similar vein, you might want to investigate "MBT" shoes that can be worn all the time:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&q=mbt+shoes

http://uk.mbt.com/

Not cheap mind!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Angus, every chance of lost in translation - it was a long while ago that I was told about it, and then it was is in broken English. Many thanks for a better interpretation and necessary correction - it's useful info. for the forum to contain for future reference.

There seems a lot of reluctance to address the needs of children's equipment and technique on SH's which IMO is disappointing as there are many SH's with kids who must have questions just as I do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum: I'm always happy to voice my opinion, if I think it will help. Apart from your question about the crossover between children's and adult's skis (I don't know anything about it I'm afraid) are there any other specific questions or threads you're thinking of?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I don't see it as a reluctance, more that nobody is asking questions......so I just kicked one off here Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2029268#2029268
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kieranm, I think that was the issue actually - I've asked that on two occasions now - one on the slant of differences/transistions between adult and child gear in terms of stiffness and the other night when Spyderjon mentioned about the tab size on the boots re: binding spaces on childs skis. There have been no responses I think to either, though I will check the binding issue as I didn't go back and look.

Not even 'you are reading it all wrong and no issue exists in this area'.

I can't believe, a) that no difference exists and b) that there is no-one on SH's that knows anything in these areas. Surely all the parents of the kids that race on dry slopes must have some experience. Puzzled

kitenski, I did see that and did think 'good for you' I am now watching it with interest to see how long it takes to 'go dry'.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take it all back - my thread now has replies Very Happy - it all seems to have kicked off whilst I was away LOL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, ref boots I learnt this the expensive way last year when the boots we hired wouldn't fit the skis we bought, Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitenski Then I'm glad the question has been asked and we are getting some info. as until tonight I hadn't been aware that a difference existed. This cross post addresses the binding issue if any needs it for future reference http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87713#2028958

I believe this may even be a novel discussion area as I haven't read anything on these issue before the last week or two. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a Sweetspot skia, and used it before my holiday. Husband laughed at my purchase, but when I put it on, he proclaimed that I looked good (to ski!)during my practice.
I used it prior to the holiday. Husband (and Me) noticed a big difference in my skiing, I had really got faster (because I felt in control, which I was). Then he took me down a serious black. The steepest in the resort!. My legs were jelly by the end and I knew I was again skiing on the back of my skiis. It was hard work. And scarey.
I put on the sweetspot skias before skiing again, and readjusted. It worked. The next day was good. as was the rest of the week, even with more blacks.
Husband now says he will use them through the summer, given my progress, as for me my ski boots will not be put in the loft, I am in training for next winter. Very Happy
They work for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
margaret, good on you, you'll be on the black blocks before your next trip! They are working wonders for me also & worth every penny IMV, sure I get strange looks from the family wobbling around on them like I'm nuts- but I am nuts so all good! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BUMP. As a Snowheads bigmouth I got a free set of these trainers months ago, but my boots were in France, and only now united with the trainers.

Just tried them out. Unfortunately a courier knocked at the front door (which is downstairs) the moment I got them on! Did get the trainers off, but had to clump down in ski boots (good practice for those mountain restaurant toilets which seem inevitably to be down lots of steps). The lad was rather surprised to be greeted by an elderly lady in ski boots (and other stuff, not just the ski boots...)

Anyway, been wobbling around on the green blocks. Seems like a good idea - especially perhaps for pivoting. I recall going up a long and tedious draglift behind an ESF instructor who was constantly pivoting his skis through 180 degrees. I find that, and related exercises, difficult, and I think the blocks will help. But I'd be interested to know how many people have persisted with using them, and how nimble they now are on the black blocks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Once the product is attached to the boot and the relevant block added, do you then stand on a special surface or is it an on the carpet job?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, carpet is OK for everything except pivoting, according to the instructions - because it might not do the carpet any good. I have a sealed cork floor, which is fine for pivoting (and everything else, actually) and I suspect you get slightly better feedback from a firm floor, than a carpet. A rough/abrasive floor obviously wouldn't do the plastic blocks any good.
snow report
Anyone got any long term reviews of these or were they more of a novelty purchase that went into the attic next to the kaytell record cleaner?
snow conditions
Despite my earlier feeling that they were expensive for what they are I did end up buying a set and I use them once a week or so. I should really use them more often but keep forgetting.

I think they are helpful in building the sensation and muscle-memory (for want of a better term) of being balanced correctly. It is challenging to balance in them on the harder blocks (I've not yet tried the tiny black ones - red are sufficiently challenging for me) and so I'm not bored of using them.

I tend to put something on the TV and balance in them for half an hour or so in an evening, so it doesn't really take any time. Reaching down to the coffee table to pick up the bottle of beer, flex up to drink it, reach down to the coffee table to replace the bottle of beer, is an exercise I use to make it more enjoyable.

A hard floor would definitely be preferable to soft carpet I think (but I've not got any carpets, so don't have any direct experience).
ski holidays
Quote:

Reaching down to the coffee table to pick up the bottle of beer, flex up to drink it, reach down to the coffee table to replace the bottle of beer, is an exercise I use to make it more enjoyable.

What a good idea! I only tried them for the first time yesterday, but also thought that the ideal way would be to watch TV whilst balancing. I think I will try the blue blocks next time - I think I could manage the beer drinking exercise on the green ones. wink I did try one leg, but that was definitely a lot harder; need a large bottle of beer for that one.
ski holidays
Many thanks pam w and kieranm.

Time to get the card out I think.

Will report back if and when I get them.
snow conditions
pam w: what ever you do don't substitute a cup of tea or similar for the beer. It has to be beer. The tea hurts when you lose your balance. I speak from experience.
latest report
Quote:

It has to be beer

and in a bottle, I reckon.
snow conditions
The reference somewhere to Kaytel record cleaners reminded me that a Kosy Boot allows increase in performance when Skiaing.
ski holidays
BUMP x2

Seriously considering lashing out on a pair of these and so - a month or so on from the last post on the thread - have sH's kept up their training programme on them and if so, how does it all feel now?
snow report
I've just bought some of these, just waiting for delivery now. What have people found to be the best exersizes to do on them?
snow report
For those of you that got your sweat spot earlier this year, any more feedback regarding the product? Sorry...just noticed page 2 & 3...thanks to those that posted. Anyone else?
snow conditions
Quote:

have sH's kept up their training programme on them

No. Embarassed And it's not just that I'm bone idle - I just got home from an aerobics class. I saw them today and felt guilty. maybe in the next three weeks.....

Such a faff to get into the ski boots 'n all....
snow report
I bought some a little while ago, and haven't got round to using them yet Embarassed I tried once, but it was so fiddly trying to get the index marks lined up while wearing the ski boots I lost patience and decided to try another time, and haven't yet...

(should say this is probably because I'm an idiot rather than a flaw of the product!)
ski holidays
finestgreen wrote:
(should say this is probably because I'm an idiot rather than a flaw of the product!)

Sorry, but +1

Set them up without the boot on your foot. Set the back bit up first and then only open/close the front bit...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We got one this Christmas. Will use them over the next few months and give a better review.

First impressions
    >The booklet & instructions are not very good and could be improved greatly. The illustrations are not particularity helpful.
    > lots of faff to get them on but gets much easier the second time.
    > I am using new boots that have had maybe 7-10 days skiing and TBH it is pretty tough on the feet after a few minutes of use. But these balance things possibly might be a good way to break in new boots (ie more effective than just wearing them around the house).
    > If your boots aren't a good fit then it will make it a lot harder. Having said that if your boots are well fitted then it is still hard. If you find it easy then try some of the harder blocks or try it with your eyes closed!

If I am honest I do really like them. Good fun.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 3-01-13 14:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I got mine out of the cupboard yesterday and was going to try and have a concerted go prior to Half-term's holiday.
ski holidays
Elston wrote:

First impressions
>The booklet & instructions are not very good and could be improved greatly. The illustrations are not particularity helpful.
> lots of faff to get them on but gets much easier the second time.

For info, we've produced a new and improved edition of the booklet, which is available online: http://skia.com/downloads/manual_english.pdf

The fitting instructions in particular should be much clearer than before - which we hope will reduce the faff factor first time round!

Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
I don't suppose any of you that now keep yours only to help add clutter to your cupboards want it takling off your hands do you?

Little Angel
ski holidays
I had a bash on mine again tonight. It's most weird that once I am standing back flat on my solid flat boots that if I close my eyes it still feels like I am back on the blocks. I also experimented with holding a ski pole horizontally out in front of me it seemed to stop my arms wavering about as much.
latest report
I had another go on them tonight - I am totally astonished at how much easier I balanced on them after just last night's session. I can only conclude that my sense of balance has already learned something. It is making the muscles on the top of my thighs protest, but perhaps they will get used to it.
latest report
Megamum: I find that it can be quite variable - some days much easier than others, but then other days harder again. Double check that you're using them properly. If you have them set up with one slightly in front of the other, or you stand with one foot slightly in front of the other, it makes balancing much easier. If I find it surprisingly easy, this is the first thing I check.
snow conditions
kieranm, that is an interesting observation and one which I will look out for tonight. Thanks.
snow report
The black blocks with eyes closed gets very tiring!
snow report
Mosha Marc, I could be tempted to part with mine. After Insanity, I can barely stand at all, no matter about on blocks!
ski holidays
I've been on them again tonight. I'm sure my stance was OK - about hip width feet and both square with each other. Probably as good as last nights go. I'm on the red blocks - I can do the blues and greens easily. So theoretically, if I were to continue on the red blocks and master them in time for my ski holiday in 6 weeks time, I should be a better skier for it - yes?
snow conditions
Definitely!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy