Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap merino base layers/breathable gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

Now that the sales are starting, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap merino base layer. I'd like to get two so I can alternate day-to-day.

I've got warm waterproof gloves, but my hands sweat like a ... in them, was after a decent glove that was more breathable. Any recomemndations?

I'm not fussed at all about the brand.

Thanks
R
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A month or two ago, Mrs MA & I bought long sleeve Merino base layers for a bargain £19.99 each at TK Maxx. We road tested them ski touring a couple of weeks ago and they were great.

Some of the TK Maxx stuff is available online - failing that, I see Amazon is also knocking them out at £19.99 Smile :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merino-Mens-Base-Layer-Top/dp/B004SL8EYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331641231&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rossyl wrote:
Hello!

Now that the sales are starting, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap merino base layer. I'd like to get two so I can alternate day-to-day.

I've got warm waterproof gloves, but my hands sweat like a ... in them, was after a decent glove that was more breathable. Any recomemndations?

Thanks
R

Decathlon seem to have some very good value merino base layers, always in one shade of mid-blue but our sons have worn them for three ski trips this year (so the baselayers hold up to big sweaty lads and regular washing). Otherwise the mail order firm Chocolate Fish do good quality and good value. As to gloves, skied all season so far in some aging leather gloves and never seem to get sweaty, although did have an interesting incident with taking hestra glove balm in my hand luggage out of Liverpool, guy seemed to find the concept of 'glove balm' quite hard, but the chemical scanner showed up nothing that could be explosive - phew Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trekmates own site often offer bogoff on merino tops Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rossyl wrote:
Hello!

Thanks
R

Try TK Max for gloves, I bought my B-In-Law a pair of Phoenix Gore Tex for £20!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a look at TK Maxx's regular knitwear rail, I've been buying their thinner marino wool jumpers for years, when they get tatty Hey presto relegation to baselayer! If youre not a cheapskate like me use them like that from new. Stuff dosn't have to have technobollox baselayer wicking etc etc written on it, its just a wooly vest like grandma told you to wear
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for TK Maxx, only problem is they tend to get stuff in at the start of the season and it sells pretty quick I find, could be different for larger stores than the one I go to.

For gloves I have some Outdoor Research Alti Gloves, had them years now and still waterproof annd breathable, they have a removable primaloft linerwhich you can take out on warmer days if you like. Bit pricey mind Embarassed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look in Aldi, there are still odds and ends of ski gear kicking about, picked up a ladies small merino short sleeve top for middle daughter for £9.99 in my local one at the weekend
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a look in TK Maxx in central London they had no ski stuff. Sad

Don't have a nearby Aldi.

Deacathlon new cost £25 not sure if they are worth that or if there's better for the price?

Thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get an icebreaker one for £40 ish in the sale. You only need one. sorted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mountain Warehouse had merino tops for abour £12 last time I was in there, and they've probably got to the BOGOF bit of their sale by now...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy