Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now I'm worried

Poster: A snowHead
I know I have already made a posting about this but i am now getting a bit more concerned. I'm off to Pila at the end of the month (fly out on 26th) - there is only 100cm on upper slopes and 50cm on lower slopes and it doesnt look like it is going to snow before I go. It looks like it is very spring like soft conditions. Should I really be worried? One of the reasons I picked Pila because the slopes are north facing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, there's not really a great deal you can do about the weather. It does appear that spring has sprung a bit early this year so unless the wigglies are very wrong you will probably get spring conditions in Pila at the end of the month. The snow might be patchy and very slushy in the afternoon but I'm sure there will still be plenty of skiing, you won't have to worry about thermals and you may get a nice tan! Let's face it, would you rather spend the week at work? I thought not... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, I tend to ski on the top 1 or 2cm of the piste when on piste

also spring or corn snow can be the best snow to ski on... (after powder) if you are on or off piste Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
II wrote:
jb1970, I tend to ski on the top 1 or 2cm of the piste when on piste

Quite right, but you are not an Internet worry ar$e.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It could soon look like this wink

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, The PSB looked like that Laughing AND we still had a good time.... so panic ye not jb1970 wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ffs

rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970 wrote:
there is only 100cm on upper slopes and 50cm on lower slopes .

Confused I'm sorry, I really don't understand. This is stacks of snow! I skied in Kitzbuhel in Jan a few years back when there was only 10cm on the upper slopes, seriously, and we still had a great time. If you book somewhere at the end of March, you know it's going to be spring skiing but the resort will do all they can to keep the skiing going on the pistes and it looks like there's a great base there at the moment.

Now stop worrying and just enjoy your holiday Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, are you prepared to cancel your booking because you are worried about a lack of snow?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cancel now, before it's too late!

Actually, just transfer your booking into my name please.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
enjoy what there is, ski during middle of day when everyone else lunching, finish early and drink.

Pretty much what we did last Easter when most of Les Arcs looked like the photo above and we had a fab time
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm much more worried about you than the snow conditions. Have you talked to a doctor about this? It might be worth contacting your GP, they can prescribe something to calm you down a bit.

Get out a tape measure. Look at where 50cm is on the wall. It is not 50mm. It is 50cm. That is a simply vast amount of snow. It is more snow than they have in most of the fridges in the UK, and they tend to have snow 365 days of the year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am off for an Easter trip on the 7th to St Sorlin, looking at the webcams and the reports, it does seem that things are warm there, and there is not any new snow forecast, but there does seem to be a good base there also.

I was in Valmeinier over New Year, and the storm that hit us there, dumped so much snow, that there has got to be a reasonable base, what with what Hurricane Andrea brought, and the heavy snow that came in the few weeks after that.

They were closing top runs there because of too much snow at New Year, cant see that melting or disappearing that much before late March/Easter.

I may be wrong, but the Alps got hit by huge snow early this year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium: In fairness to the original poster, I suspect the 50 cm refers to the unpacked snow depth that has fallen, and that once a piste basher has been over it it will be a lot closer to 10 cm than 50 cm on the piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kieranm, nope - http://www.igluski.com/italy/pila-snow-report_2577 220cm of snow. This'll be the bashed down compacted stuff, which'll take some time to go away.

If anyone watches Pro cycling they had to change one of the stages of Tirreno-Adriatico this week due to too much snow at only a height of 1,450m above sea level - it's a long, long way South of Pila. You'll also be used to stages of the Giro (raced over 3 weeks in May) where they regularly go over mountain pass and there's snow a good couple of foot high either side of the road. Most mountain passes don't open until May/June. Given this I wouldn't worry too much. It'll be fine.
snow conditions
http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forski.aspx?resort=Pila+San+Vigilio&country=Italy

Warm right now but looking like a lot of snow coming next week across most of the alps.. easter powder perhaps?
latest report
jb1970, Dinnae fash yersel! Toofy Grin
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
jb1970, Dinnae fash yersel! Toofy Grin

Ah'm trying no tae!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
jb1970, are you prepared to cancel your booking because you are worried about a lack of snow?

Not at all!
ski holidays
Look at this:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx?resort=Pila
snow report
jb1970 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Not at all!

In which case you are worrying about something you can do nothing about, and have no intention of doing anything about. What do you want us to do? Magic up some snow? I save my Weather Monkey powers for my own trips thank you very much, and so far my powers have been nailing it for 4 years straight.
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
jb1970 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Not at all!

In which case you are worrying about something you can do nothing about, and have no intention of doing anything about. What do you want us to do? Magic up some snow? I save my Weather Monkey powers for my own trips thank you very much, and so far my powers have been nailing it for 4 years straight.

ok ok ok! I am going to stop worrying cos it looks as if there might be snow coming in the next 9 days or so according to the reports.
snow report
jb1970 wrote:
Monium wrote:
jb1970 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Not at all!

ok ok ok! I am going to stop worrying cos it looks as if there might be snow coming in the next 9 days or so according to the reports.
jb1970, hmm!? As long as it doesn't snow too much! Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
jb1970 wrote:

It wouldn't make a lot of difference if there was no snow coming until the day you are due to come back. You still can't do anything about it. So chill out, regardless of what the forecasts tell you.
snow conditions
For the love of God, stop going on about how worried you are!!

(at least) Two threads, dozens of replies and still you fret. And you know what? You'll come back and say it was fine.
snow report
I wish there were an "ignore poster" button.
snow conditions
James the Last, Puzzled There is.
snow conditions
Carole at Pilaski just posted some pics on Facebook and it's looks pretty fine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, There is, its in your use facilities.
snow report
Having a great time in Pila. Pick your slopes carefully and there is great skiing to be had. Hard first thing, slush later. But I say again, great skiing to be had. Very very quiet on.the none beginner slopes.
snow report
23 degrees c in Aosta at 5pm last night!!!!!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Glad you're having a good time there big guy. Pila is one of my favourite resorts. Been down Couis yet? Toofy Grin
latest report
Is that the black.off the high 2 man chair and up.the greenhouse tunnel,, if so then it was magnificent this morning.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, your new Mojo must be working well then. Very Happy
ski holidays
Yeah, can see why you're worried. There will certainly be snow on the pistes but the QUALITY of it (and of the off-piste) may well be very dubious. It's T-shirt weather in Chamonix this week and forecast to hit 20 degrees tomorrow. Not really skiing weather! However, your departure date is over a week away so you never know what may happen between now and then.....

My advice to you would be: Next time don't book your destination in advance. By all means fix your holiday dates but wait until the last minute to see where has the snow. For example, this week you wouldn't want to be anywhere in Europe (unless you are going on a tanning holiday not a skiing holiday). On the other hand, look at the snow forecast for Whistler: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/mid . If I had vacation time booked this week I would be hopping on a plane right now and scooping up a last minute deal on accommodation over there.
ski holidays
snowprincess wrote:
Yeah, can see why you're worried. There will certainly be snow on the pistes but the QUALITY of it (and of the off-piste) may well be very dubious. It's T-shirt weather in Chamonix this week and forecast to hit 20 degrees tomorrow. Not really skiing weather! However, your departure date is over a week away so you never know what may happen between now and then.....

My advice to you would be: Next time don't book your destination in advance. By all means fix your holiday dates but wait until the last minute to see where has the snow. For example, this week you wouldn't want to be anywhere in Europe (unless you are going on a tanning holiday not a skiing holiday). On the other hand, look at the snow forecast for Whistler: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/mid . If I had vacation time booked this week I would be hopping on a plane right now and scooping up a last minute deal on accommodation over there.

I usually dont book in advance unless its snowsure. However, I had to really take what was left when I booked this holiday (very difficult to find a one person holiday at the last minute). I was booked to go to Courmayeur but had to cancel as my Gran died.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Having a great time in Pila. Pick your slopes carefully and there is great skiing to be had. Hard first thing, slush later. But I say again, great skiing to be had. Very very quiet on.the none beginner slopes.

Shame I'm not there just now - would be nice to meet up with you Frosty!
ski holidays
Indeed JB. It really is a lovely resort with some cracking carving pistes. A couple if the best pistes have been closed all week for ski racing.
snow report
To be fair to the OP, a Glasgow based skier may well question the ascertion that 50cm or 100cm is a huge amount of snow, when you've watched 2m of depth wiped from the Main Basin at Glencoe since mid February!! Shocked

The long wave weather patterns have been horrific for quite a lot of ski areas in the Northern Hemisphere this winter, but after a snowless 2 months, Kirkwood is forecast around 100inches in the Californian Serrias over the next week. So I'll cling to the hope of spectacular 1998 style lambing storms here in Scotland. If not I might have to explore this EoSB thingy! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Another great day in Pila, pistes as good as yesterday. Rock hard early doors but a great day Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy