Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the food like in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Our group have been skiing in Italy for the past 5 years and thinking of trying Austria next year, none of us have been to Austria before and are wondering what to expect with the food? We love the Italian people, food and wine but fancy a change..... What's the general type of food you get in austria? One of our group is under the impression it will be all sausages and strudel?!
Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cbowls30 wrote:
One of our group is under the impression it will be all sausages and strudel?!
Thanks!

You get Dumplings too. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lol bonus!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87572#2006743
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not good for veggies really
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic, I'm veggie and I actually like the food in Austria. Käsespätzle (cheese pasta dish) and spinach strudel in particular. Plus if all else fails I can always have a yummy pudding instead... Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cbowls30, Yep, exactly in the same way all you get in the UK is fish 'n chips! rolling eyes

The food is as good or as bad as you put up with FFS. Of course you could similarly generalise that you only get pizza and spaghetti Bol in Italy or cordon bleu 5 course banquets in France. Tell them to close down the prejudices and open up the mouth to try loads of different taste experiences. There are several gourmet restaurants that I have eaten in in Austria and some real dives in Italy and France. I would not base my opinion of any country just on such a small selection though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wasnt basing my opinion on just that, none
Of us have where been there and just
Wondered what the cuisine is like!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cbowls30, based on randomly stumbling into several restaurants on and off the mountain in both Austria and Italy, I would say my experiences have been far better/tastier in Italy.

So, in my experience, average Italian food is much better than average Austrian food.

That's not to say Austrian food isn't enjoyable. FWIW I love sausages and strudel Very Happy

Also, Austria doesn't have a smoking ban in place, so you sometimes get to enjoy your sausages with a face full of second hand smoke.

I'm not down on Austria though. Back there for my next trip in 4 weeks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like Samerberg Sue, says it really depends where you go...

Like anywhere there areplenty of pizza and self service places. There are plenty of cheap, cheerful, gemütlich mountain huts serving good food. Some outstanding restaurants in some places if you want restaurant food.

But this link gives you some of the obvious options.

http://www.austria.info/uk/austrian-cuisine/favourite-austrian-recipes-1560889.html

Although the wine regions are all in the east it's well worth hunting out some good wine if that's your thing.

http://www.austria.info/uk/austrian-cuisine/austria-s-wine-country-1300908.html

And the beer is good too...

http://www.austria.info/uk/austrian-cuisine/austrian-beer-culture-1559400.html

Here's some ideas from Tirol.com

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1027981/_id/1577822/index.html

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1181251/index.html

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1027985/index.html

And Styria

http://www.steiermark.com/en/holiday/culinary-delights/epicurian-regions

And Salzburgerland

http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/kulinarik/specialties-and-recipes/traditional-favorites.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 12-03-12 21:06; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Germknödel nuff said. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still want to try one of them!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Better than France, and usually cheaper.

Less spaghetti bol etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piccadilly wrote:
I still want to try one of them!

Do it! It was pretty much all I ate as a kid on holiday. Still no food better but I've not been back through Austria in a while.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cbowls30 wrote:
One of our group is under the impression it will be all sausages and strudel?!
Thanks!

What's wrong with that?!?! Laughing

In all seriousness, the food in austria is good. Harder to tell what you're getting than in Italy but plenty of it and very yummy I thought.
ski holidays
cbowls30, Are you going skiing or eating? The food is fine, most main courses are very British - meat potatoes and veg. The traditional things are fantastic and I've never been disappointed with a meal there.

Don't listen to stereotypes. Some people on here would have you believe that in Austria you can only eat sauerkraut and sausage, have to wear lederhosen and join the nazi party. That and the fact that it's all below sea level and never has snow. Shocked rolling eyes
snow conditions

think pig
ski holidays
Quote:

Great Very Happy and like Italy the traditional stuff is some of the best.
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Better than France, and usually cheaper.

I agree, my experience (Ischgl and St Anton) was that the food was a lot better and almost half the price
ski holidays
meh wrote:

Do it! It was pretty much all I ate as a kid on holiday. Still no food better but I've not been back through Austria in a while.

I wish they did a kid's version, they look so huge!
snow report
meh wrote:
Germknödel nuff said. Cool

I hadn't had one since my last visit to Austria in 1989, until January this year and they are still just as good. Only with vanilla sauce though. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
geepee, Germknödel
There has also been a disturbing trend in recent years of using blueberry jam in these instead of the more usual and better Powidl. The non-blueberry ones with custard and fag ash are still really good Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Are they dessert or not? Definitely going to try them this week
latest report
It´s all stodge, don´t go there wink
snow conditions
Very light and slimming. The range and diversity of mountain restaurant food will make you giddy.
ski holidays
Dr John, rayC, you obviously never venture far from the tourist fodder on offer in the mountain huts, there are many varied and non-stodgy meals available if you bothered to just educate yourself a little
ski holidays
kooky, I see the sense of humour by-pass operation was a complete success. Just a quick pomposity enhancement and you're good to go.
latest report
Quote:

you obviously never venture far from the tourist fodder on offer

ditto the "spag bol" comments about France. The people who run the mountain restaurants aren't daft. If the tourists want spag bol and chips, or pig and dumplings, that's what they'll provide.

Questions like "what's the food like in Austria?" are a bit daft, really. How would I answer someone who asked "what's the food like in England?". Much of it is grim, because grim is what many people want, but nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat it.

And not all the food in Italy is wonderful - that's just another stereotype (though it's true of their coffee).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
kooky, I see the sense of humour by-pass operation was a complete success. Just a quick pomposity enhancement and you're good to go.

I shouldn't laugh.......
snow conditions
I thought the de facto snowHeads lunch arrangement was to nick all the bread rolls, meat and cheese from the breakfast buffet and sneak them out in your underwear.

Anyway, Austrian mountain fodder is great and usually served by happy, charming, efficient frauleins.
snow conditions
Dr John, well , I see your sarcasm implant was more sucessful than your brain one, but probably not as big as your tool one
snow report
kooky, I will definitely laugh "15 all"
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, it´s always nice to find a guy that can hold his own in a bit of banter with me wink
snow conditions
kooky, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

pam w, exactly, but at least you do not have to take out a second mortgage to eat spag bol in Austrian mountain restaurants! wink
ski holidays
kooky, game set and match I would say! Laughing
snow report
robboj, meh.........I am sure the good Doc will be back with a suitably waspish retort to put me back in my place........too bad I will be too busy skiing to read it

she said in a pompous, humourless manner
snow conditions
Italian food is the best in the world, but I found Austrian food to be very good indeed.
nozawaonsen's post is excellent. I'm a big fan of Austrian wine. I like all the unusual specialities. I have taken Italians to an Austrian cake shop and they were blown away by how delicious the cakes were.
You'll be fine, give Austria a go!
snow report
Quote:

I have taken Italians to an Austrian cake shop and they were blown away by how delicious the cakes were.

I've been pretty disappointed with Italian pastries - and their bread, too, is nothing like as good as French bread (haven't had Austrian bread for some years so can't compare). They do, however, make delicious ice cream!
snow report
Some Austrian bread links!

http://www.austria.info/uk/passion-for-tradition/breadmaking-in-lesachtal-1608512.html

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1027984/_id/1124004/index.html

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1027984/_id/833606/index.html

http://www.tyrol.com/xxl/en/1027984/_id/833710/index.html

wink
ski holidays
Meat for breakfast.

Meat for brunch.

Meat for lunch.

Meat for snack.

Meat for dinner.

Meat for supper.

And a bit of apple.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 14-03-12 1:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy