Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how warm is spring skiing

Poster: A snowHead
just been looking at the upcoming weather for the ski welt as we fly out this weekend and I see its going to be kecking warm!! 17/18 degrees on sat sunday and between 5-9 for the rest of the week..

now i know that there is 80-220cm of snow on the hill so it should survive while were there but at what point do you consider it sping skiiing temps...double figures? and at what point do you begin to worry??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant, t-shirt & shades skiing. We had temps in the teens in the Dolomites last Feb. This year it was in the minus teens. Best thing to do is look out of the window in the morning. I usually start to worry on the way home, with work the next day. It'll be fine, enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

at what point do you begin to worry??

when the grass shows through.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If there's still snow don't worry.

It's really quite nice skiing in a t-shirt when it's warm. OK the snow will be less than perfect, making it harder work but it's quite fun dealing with all the mounds of sugary stuff that have been pushed up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rock hard icy pistes or nice forgiving snow if you time your aspect right

solid or lovely slushy moguls?

spring corn or breakable crust?

I know what I prefer Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hit 15c in Sella Ronda when I was there 10 days ago, no problem apart from feeling like I was skiing in an oven.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

at what point do you begin to worry??

when the grass shows through.

It's when the grass turns to mud you need to worry. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It hit 15º when I was in Cervina almost 2 weeks ago. Advantages are that you only need a light t-shirt under your ski jacket, no thermals, no hat and you're still way too hot. Visibility is fantastic and you can't help feeling good when the sun is shining. This disadvantage is the effect it has on the snow. Even somewhere high like Cervinia was big piles of sugary slush by the afternoon. The mornings were icy and hard packed and much much better. So plan to do the bulk of the skiing in the morning, have a nice long lunch and be prepared for the horrible wet stuff in the afternoon. Oh and remember the factor 50!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And let's not forget it is also possible to have a change in the weather - I've skied in some stupidly cold and snowy weather late easter before
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
was bloody roasting on my final day in Mayrhofen two days ago and that was only 10 degrees... forecast higher temps
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
be prepared for the horrible wet stuff in the afternoon. Oh and remember the factor 50!

Don't you mean lovely wet stuff to blast through Smile

I think I'll start a "love slush" campaign Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, +1

Slush is great fun, you get to wash your face while you ski Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, in fairness it didn't freak me out so much this season. I'm generally a bit fitter and skiing better. But I still don't like slush, it's too slow and and I'm so heavy I just always seem to sink, there's no 'blasting through' it's more a case of 'digging myself out'. Give me icy hardpack any day... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I am all worried about going to Pila at the end of the month - looks as if the weather is just going to get warmer and warmer and no snow for when I go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, you already have a thread of people telling you to stop worrying. STOP WORRYING! There WILL be snow. At Pila you can't ski back to the town anyway, and the snow will be fine up the mountain.

Late March skiing is wonderful! Hard-packed in the morning, slushy by late afternoon - which means early to the bar for beers on the terrace in the warm sunshine.

No layers needed, just plenty of suncream. Far more plesant than December/January skiing when it's fricking freezing.
latest report
Anyone going skiing in the Alps in the next month should take their swimming gear, hiking boots and sun protectors.
snow report
I've skied with 22C on the displays Cool

And skied in swim shorts Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone going skiing in the Alps in the next month should take their swimming gear, hiking boots and sun protectors

Puzzled there is still plenty of snow in most places (162cm at village level in Les Saisies which is a lot more than there was at the top at any time last year) and over 2m at 2000m. All pistes open. And I'm sure the same will be true of loads of places. Certainly it's "spring conditions" but spring conditions can be very pleasant.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Anyone going skiing in the Alps in the next month should take their swimming gear, hiking boots and sun protectors.

Utter garbage as usual.
snow conditions
Hold on!

What's going on?

It's spring...and...we have... Springlike conditions!

How totally...

Normal.

Move on folks, nothing of interest here...
ski holidays
Looks like I'm off to Val T 7th April.........don't care what the snow conditions will be like. I know we are going to have fun Happy
snow report
Quote:

It's spring...and...we have... Springlike conditions!

I must admit that I think of mid-March as optimum ski time - usually plenty of snow, the school hols are over, days longer but not too warm. The only reason I'm not in the Alps enjoying this wonderful sunshine is because I have to stick around and be a granny.
However, temperatures have been well above average for a while now (as they are here in England - I haven't had my central heating on for days and days and the place is full of people in shorts).
Fortunately, however, in much of the northern and eastern Alps, this warmer-and-drier-than-usual Spring followed a snowier-and-colder-than-normal early Winter. So everything's fine. Statistics being what they are, this will probably go down in the records as a very average sort of season, despite having been nothing of the sort, really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy