Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes a good end of season slush ski?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests....what makes a good late season slushy conditions ski.

It was very noticeable, on a day when i was skiing in the rain at the end of jan, and conditions were very very heavy, my soft conditions / powder skis which is a fischer misfit twin, flapped like anything, in fact the guide asked if they were rockers...which they are not! They are very excellent in powder, and also strangely lots of edge grip on piste as they are torsionally stiff, but gloop did not suit them at all as have quite soft tips.

so what would be a good gloop ski....cope with all the slushy bumps, be reasonably light and not a railway sleeper as i am not very heavy. Long time ago my old missions were reasonably good from my dim memory, but that was a different time and nostalgia can be expensive (i have something for sale on here i purchased in a nostalgic moment!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got Dynastar Legend Sultan 85s that seem to cope with that kind of snow very well - charging through any slush, but also holding a decent edge if you can find harder packed piste. Not a sleeper, but perhaps a bit heavier than average.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, My worn out, not enough edge to sharpen rossi 9x fis seem to work bizarrely well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, I've skied a Rossi 9X oversize and found the same. My own Elan Magfire 78 Ti's also seem to cope very well, they seem to have the weight and stiffness to crash through the crud without getting deflected. Maybe any similar all mountain ski (mine are 80/20 on/off piste) with a titanium layer would also give good performance? - A bit of extra width to spread the load a bit so you don't sink in and the stiffness to crash through what they then hit. At least that's what I think happens with mine. But then, what do I know? I don't know anything about skis am not really qualified to comment on such matters so make of my comments what you will.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 11-03-12 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz,
Quote:

what makes a good late season slushy conditions ski.

a good late season slushy conditions skier ? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, I can ski slush ok, slushy bumps are brill fun, until my legs give out, just my misfits were very hard work in the gloop in January (however they still have the factory base structure which is very fine, and not good for wet snow) but they just flapped lots and got knocked about quite a bit, you had to be on top of them all the time. As its sales time thought i would look for something...........

The 3v's are coming out first thing in the morning....... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, Fresh and regular application of Zardoz Not Wax makes the skis better in slush Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitedot Preacher killed it last season in the slush, thought my Director's would be the best but strangely no....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the_doc wrote:
Whitedot Preacher killed it last season in the slush

is that good?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skier on top of them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
the_doc wrote:

is that good?

Apologies, my Preacher's were better than my Directors in the heavy April slush I experienced in Mayrhofen last April Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was very impressed with the Scott Neo semi twin tip skis in slush.

It was described to me by a rental shop guy as being stiff underfoot and a bit softer at the tips and tails. That was exactly how it felt to ski. Visibility was terrible higher up the mountain, but those skis let me ski almost blind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An adaptable skier Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
davidof wrote:
the_doc wrote:

is that good?

Apologies, my Preacher's were better than my Directors in the heavy April slush I experienced in Mayrhofen last April Very Happy

ah ok, what's the difference between them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Director is 107mm underfoot and twin rocker, I thought the rocker would rule the slush! Preacher is 112mm underfoot but doesn't have the rocker, the longer effective edge and shorter turn radius coupled with the width just destroyed the boot deep slush in March/April compared to the other guys I was skiing with on mid-fats.
snow report
go long and stiff, always works for mrs barry Cool

(but seriously, a stiff gully ski will blast through slush, after that it's up to actually bothering with some base prep)
snow report
2001 vintage Crossmax 10s.

But then that's all I've got so they must and can do everything from dendix to powder via moguls, ice and slush. And quite a lot of carparks this season.Laughing

Love them to bits.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Think Rob has hit the nail on the head....

Time and kids allowing I am hoping to take various skis from 65mm to 112mm underfoot out to Stuben over Easter and try and video the same run with different skis........
snow conditions
Last easter we were skiing in shorts and t-shirts at 2700m on Icelantic Shamans and Nomads (110) - fantastic fun and much less effort than narrow skis. The Shamans love slushy bumps.
snow conditions
Quote:

he 3v's are coming out first thing in the morning.......

Enjoy !
snow report
Stiff slalom with feet closer together, possibly 165 rather than 155, 3V LAB flatdeck or 3V LAB D2 for a little more allround. Also big width smearer straight down the fall line in narrow radius riding the crud for more relaxed day, Czar would do.
snow report
A snowboard Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I'm skiing first week of April, never been this late in the season so should I take:

A) storm blaze, skinny waisted (65 underfoot), heavy, stiff underfoot thanks to vist speed plates

Or

B) line celebrity mid fat (90 underfoot), light, flexible long (for me)

Or

C) both

Or

D) burton feather snowboard and finally master it?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
carroz, My worn out, not enough edge to sharpen rossi 9x fis seem to work bizarrely well.

Funnily enough my 9Ss do as well
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
rob@rar wrote:
Very Happy

Yep!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy