Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix or Courmayeur

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We have flights booked to Geneva for a weekends skiing on the 23rd March, but unsure whether to go to Chamonix or Courmayeur (or anywhere alse within 90 mins drive).

We are all 30-40 something intermediate skiers and will only be skiing Blues/Reds not Black or off piste.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi 897sma, welcome to snowHeads

I would personally go with Courmayeur (but then, I do love the place). It's almost entirely blues and reds (stiffer end of the blue scale though), and is a lovely place to visit. If you're the sort of group that likes to stop for the occasional drink or a bite to eat then you will find nowhere better.

Another thought might be somewhere like Samoens or Flaine in the Grand Massif area, lots of brilliant intermediate terrain there (and there only around an hour from Geneva).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Gets is also about an hour from Geneva
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at La Clusaz. Less busy than either of the two you mention but plenty of nice cruising.

Have to agree about the mountain restaurants in Courmayeur though. Brilliant choice and loads of them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
897sma, If you end up in Courmayeur, don't miss either Chiecco's or the Petit Mont Blanc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For your group Courmayeur all the way. Plenty to go at for a week.

Have a look here for rough transfer times for more ideas http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for your replies. Booked a hotel in courmayeur. Just two (long slow) weeks to wait now!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courmayeur is beautiful. The village is so pretty and almost every bar brings you plates of delicious appetisers with your drink order - amazing after a day on the slopes!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
897 pack your walking boots!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
897sma, you'll have a wicked time but feel as though you've been given a bit of bad advice from the usually great snowheads. I'd have defo gone for Chamonix on snow conditions!

Here's Courmayeur today:

897sma, as said you will have a good time and many resorts are starting to look a little like that. Don't worry most pistes will be open (thats about as low as you get in Courmayeur)...but next time do your own research!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb wrote:
897sma, you'll have a wicked time but feel as though you've been given a bit of bad advice from the usually great snowheads. I'd have defo gone for Chamonix on snow conditions!

if only i'd seen this thread earlier i would have been able to help out. We last skiied over at Courmayeur atleast 3 weeks ago, the season was done then.

and i see why a lot of the armchair pundits on here were recomending Courmayeur over Cham for beginner/intermediates. Living here with a girlfriend who is a beginner snowboarder. Its tough for her here.

But like someone mentioned, there are other resorts fairly close to Geneva that offer a varied ski-piste area. just now, you need to go as high as possible! Aig d'midi anyone?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb wrote:
I'd have defo gone for Chamonix on snow conditions!
It's all well and good suggesting where would be better with the benefit of hindsight. No-one can guarantee snow conditions weeks in advance, and Courmayeur has a remarkably good snow record. Unlucky more than anything (as people are pretty much anywhere they're going after the last month's Saharan weather). Also worth noting that it appears that Chamonix has even less snow in some places (and at resort level has a woeful historical record)!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skisimon, Why on earth would you want to ski at resort level in Chamonix? Have you ever been there?

There are, if I recall from paying no attention at all, two strictly beginners' areas in Chamoniy at town level. 90% of the usual skiing is above 1,900m.

So I am struggling to understand your point?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb, Well, you know, if you are only after on piste, smooth conditions, I think 897sma, Will be just fine.
Haven't skied Courmayeur for a couple of weeks but the on piste was absolutely fine and generally better than what you'd expect at this time of year (in my relatively small experience that close to the mouth of the tunnel on that side).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon wrote:
Also worth noting that it appears that Chamonix has even less snow in some places (and at resort level has a woeful historical record)!

Lolwot. Misinformation much?

Are there even any pistes going down to "resort level" (i.e., Chamonix town at 1035m)?
snow report
skisimon wrote:
manicpb wrote:
I'd have defo gone for Chamonix on snow conditions!

It's all well and good suggesting where would be better with the benefit of hindsight.

Ha ha, hindsight of 4 days! I can assure you that webcam looked like that on Saturday and if anything they got a sprinkle of snow over the weekend!

Anyhow..

897sma, if I've paniced you don't worry the pistes above that webcam are fine and you should have good piste conditions, although looking at similar altitude webcams of Chamonix the snow does look better but the terrain may not of suited you from what you said. I'm not in either resort! As I said a few resorts are looking like that at the base stations and God knows what could come in the next couple of weeks, have a good trip, it's a nice place!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
skisimon, Why on earth would you want to ski at resort level in Chamonix?
Same can be said of Courmayeur. With the exception of the Dolonne run pretty much everything in Courmayeur is above 1900m too, with the exception of the very bottom part of the runs into Zerotta and Checrouit.
ski holidays
skisimon, Now you're really confusing me.

So what is your point exactly?

Are you suggesting one avoids trying to ski at mean sea level in tropical latitudes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy