Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

iPad 3...

Poster: A snowHead
just getting announced now

source:
http://www.macrumors.com/

New iPad. "We’ve taken it to a whole new level, and we are redefining the category that Apple created with the original iPad."
- It has a home button. And Retina Display. "Until you see it you can’t understand how amazing it is."
- "This presents a problem for us in presenting it to you. For the first time, an iPad has a higher resolution than this entire display behind you... that's a fun challenge."
- "Photos are just going to look amazing on that gorgeous high-resolution display."
- 2048 x 1536 resolution. Higher than a 1080p display. 3.1 million pixels, 264 pixels per inch, "enough to call it a retina display". iPhone 4 was held at 10 inches, iPad held at 15".
- 44% greater color saturation.
- A5X Processor, quad-core graphics.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, Will it accept an SD Card & have a USB port?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, A home button eh? Amazing. I expect to see Apple claiming to have invented the idea of a home button soon. Lawsuits will follow ( It's thin, has a display and a home button ).
Does it have a standard (thin) USB charger? If not then it doesn't even begin to get a consideration from this corner.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

"Photos are just going to look amazing on that gorgeous high-resolution display."

Does it have built in SD/microSD slot, and standard microUSB?
if not, I can wait till the ipad4
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easy to view photos on iPad, we do it all the time and it's probably our favourite way of viewing them. They are either synchronised each time the iPad is connected to the computer, or if I want to do it straight from my camera I can use the SD card reader adapter. For those using iCloud I think it will also work over the air without any user intervention. Seems to work well enough, and the new iPhoto looks like it will allow you to tweak your images away from home if you don't want to wait until you return to your main computer.

I suspect the new screen will make a big difference. It was a huge step up from the iPhone3 to the iPhone4 just on the quality of the display, and on a larger device like a tablet I guess the difference will be even more marked.

For those who are desperate to have SD and/or USB built in do any of the other tablets have this?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, yep, the vast majority of non-iOS tablets have built in SD of some kind, even the older ones. Most of the most recent ones probably? use microUSB connector as the standard connection for chargers, to PC etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_tablet_computers

I know it's possible with adapters, but it'd be nice just to be able to pop out card and stick it in a device with a larger screen for "social" viewing of photos whilst away, and not have to worry about extra loose items. At home, I don't care, since I'd use a real desktop, and real post-processing, anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy wrote:
I know it's possible with adapters, but it'd be nice just to be able to pop out card and stick it in a device with a larger screen for "social" viewing of photos whilst away, and not have to worry about extra loose items. At home, I don't care, since I'd use a real desktop, and real post-processing, anyway.
Carrying one small adapter is not enough of a reason for me to wait to see if Apple add an SD slot to their tablets (which I doubt they will). I carry a range of small accessories, such as spare SD cards, a couple of cables, USB power pack, etc, so sticking one extra adapter in is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.

Not really been following the progress with Android tablets (or Win 8 mobile or whatever it is), so what is the current state of play with regards to applications for managing photos and video? I was impressed that kitenski edited some of his helmetcam footage using his iPad, and then uploaded it to YouTube. It's getting to the point where tablets will do all I want when on holiday, so taking a laptop might not be necessary.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, The processors in an iPad or any other tablet only have a small fraction of the compute power of any of the current generation of x86 processors from Intel or AMD. Doing large scale video editing might end up being a bit painful.
Not quite there yet I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The USB point is an important one. I have a large collection of phones that I use for testing stuff. I refuse (almost) to buy anything that doesn't have a standard USB charger for the simple reason that having 20 different chargers lying around the place drives me nuts! I really can't understand ( well actually I can ) why Apple insist on forcing their own special brand of connector / charger on us.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang wrote:
rob@rar, The processors in an iPad or any other tablet only have a small fraction of the compute power of any of the current generation of x86 processors from Intel or AMD. Doing large scale video editing might end up being a bit painful.
For anything more than simple straight cuts, maybe a dissolve and adding a music track I'm sure you're right. I use Final Cut Pro so the current iOS version of iMovie obviously isn't going to match that, but for a quick posting of a holiday video to YouTube I was impressed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang, is the Apple charger different to other USB chargers? Obviously you'll need a USB-AppleDock cable that you can't use for non-Apple devices, but won't any USB charger work? I use the Apple charger for other devices without any problems.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How is this ski relevant when "Why don't black people ski" isn't?

Isn't it just another Apple fanboi luv-in? Could we just establish a separate forum for that?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It's getting to the point where tablets will do all I want when on holiday, so taking a laptop might not be necessary.

It's getting no where near the point where taking a laptop or any other "tech" on holiday will be remotely necessary. Spend 8-10 hours a day staring at the bleeding thing at work without having it on holiday as well!!

However, I was contemplating being frivolous and buying a tablet soon - for fun, not work. I'm a bit clueless on these things and had gone off the ipad idea because of the SD/USB issue but then 75% of tablet users have an ipad so it can't be that big a deal - can it??

After doing a bit of research I'd set my sights on waiting for the Acer A700 to come out but maybe the ipad3 and a few cables will still be better?? Gawd knows...!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FWIW as Rob says I took "just" an iPad to Japan, and managed to do some basic video and picture editing and upload pics to Facebook, videos to youtube etc.

I took the iPad camera connection kit and a charger, the lack of a USB slot isn't really an issue for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Tyke wrote:
It's getting no where near the point where taking a laptop or any other "tech" on holiday will be remotely necessary. Spend 8-10 hours a day staring at the bleeding thing at work without having it on holiday as well!!
Fair point Happy Although for me being away skiing often is work, and having the ability to stay in touch with home via Skype, keep on top of work emails, look at video are pretty much essential. When there's an app which can step forwards and backwards through video without having to upload it to the tablet is the point at which the laptop is no longer necessary.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
For those who are desperate to have SD and/or USB built in do any of the other tablets have this?

My cheap Archos tablet has a full size and micro size USB port, a micro SD port and an HDMi port to view pics/videos on the TV if I feel the need.
As per other this is for me a non-starter if the tablet hasn't got this.

Yesterday I pooled all the video and pictures my mates and I took in Morzine with a couple of Android phones(used as mass storage) and Video cameras by just connecting said devices in the USB ports (or the memory card). No need to make sure both of us have the same software, or compatible OS or whatever..

While there's no doubt that Apple's screen is extremely good, the high resolution screen on my tablet is more than adequate for casual photo browsing or watching a film while travelling.

As Facetime is what has worked best for me (full marks to Apple there!) to talk to my parents with the wife's Iphone, I was interested in seeing what specs the Ipad 3 would have..
In that sense Ipad 3 is a disappointing non-event..... You'd think that at least Siri would have made it ...
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/h57yh2AarNw
snow report
the siri bit, fuuuuuuunny.
snow report
paulio, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I LOLd at 'longfacebook'.
snow conditions
Well I just ordered one.
Quite strange really because I'm not a great Apple fan, and on principle am much happier with Android/Google (got an Asus tablet and a Galaxy S2, which are both fine).
However it does have 2 things that I wanted
- the screen (this was why I never bought an IPad2)
- Apple app store. Good as Android is becoming it's not quite there yet and is a bit "wild west". Also I still can't get global iPlayer on it.

Steilhang wrote:

WRT to computing power; my opinion (slightly educated one) is that Apple are bang on about the post-PC thing. Look at the trend as to where your data is ending up (on the "cloud"), it would not then be an unreasonable step to assume tha you compute resource will end up there too (imho that needs to be a bit more distributed than the current server farm model), hence you don't need a whacking great quad core i7 of your very own, all you need is the communication bandwidth (geting there), and a processor/GPU that can keep up with the comms, (de)compression, and rendering.
This does not seem far beyond the performance of even an existing ARM CPU/GPU combo.

In the meantime I do have a quad i-7 machine that I can happily vnc to. The thing that is becoming redundant fast is the laptop.

Again with increased communications bandwidth, wireless connectivity, and cloud storage; not having an SD card is becoming a bit less of an issue, though I'd rather have one than not.
ski holidays
I'm tempted into buying a Tablet to replace my Netbook, but I use the Netbook on trips to view my photos from my SD card, also to charge my phone too. I hate the idea of having to take multiple power supplies, adaptors and cables. At present it's just the Netbook power supply with SD slot, one USB to Micro USB lead to charge, both my HTC and Kitty's Blackberry and another USB to Sony lead to charge MP3 player. Very easy, only one wall plug required.

I'd be tempted by the Apple if they weren't so anti every other system in the World. Considering most cameras use SD cards and other devices usually get charged by USB, it's stupid not to include them.
snow report
Spyderman, you could use the iPad charger to charge your phone, and use the SD adapter to view your photos on the iPad. Problem sorted! wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, At present I plug my Netbook in and just plug everything else into that so it charges it all at the same time from one plug socket, no adapters just simple leads.

I suppose the SD adapter is an extra?

Don't get me wrong I love the look of it and the way it works, it's just it's incompatibility with anything else that isn't Apple.
snow conditions
Spyderman, yes, it cost about £20 I think. For what you say you'd like to do with it I wouldn't say it's incompatible, but you will need to carry a small SD card adapter and an extra cable compared to what you normally carry. For me that's not a big deal, but if it doesn't work for you then I guess some of the Android tablets will also do what you want in terms of replacing your netbook, so problem sorted! wink
snow conditions
HTC charger is a plain, bog standard, vanilla USB cable Smile just with a mains to USB chargery bit on one end. Just need to remember to take the charger of course Wink
snow conditions
Let me know when I can copy what I want onto the iPad without using iFreakingPieceOfTotalCrapTunes. In fact, let me know when ITunes runs on Linux.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/mFzJxGwqpOU
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Kruisler"]
rob@rar wrote:
Yesterday I pooled all the video and pictures ..... with a couple of Android phones(used as mass storage) and Video cameras by just connecting said devices in the USB ports (or the memory card). ...

Exactly what rob@rar and I did in Japan, iPhone, iPad, Macbook and Android phone as mass storage....
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
At present it's just the Netbook power supply with SD slot, one USB to Micro USB lead to charge, both my HTC and Kitty's Blackberry and another USB to Sony lead to charge MP3 player.

The iPad battery would last 3x that of the netbook, you would need to carry.

1. Apple iPad power supply
2. One apple ipad charging cable to plug into 1)
3. the same Micro USB lead you already have to plug into 1)
4. The Camera connection kit (which does cost)
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

The iPad battery would last 3x that of the netbook, you would need to carry.

Is the iPad battery really that good? I regularly get better than 8 hours use out of my Samsung N150 Plus.

Every other device I have charges from the Netbook's powered USB port.
snow conditions
Spyderman,

I have been browsing for about 3 hours, battery is on 79% from full. The battery is amazing, can't understand why they cannot sort the iPhone battery out, I have a speaking new 4s and I struggle to get a day out of it, if I don't use my car charger.

As for Siri on the iPad they really do need to ditch Siri completely, it doesn't work.
snow conditions
The iPad is so clever it even corrects spanking to speaking and you don't even know it. snowHead
latest report
Kel, Laughing Laughing

Spyderman, Yep, it really is that good. I haven't charged mine up for nearly a week - use it as a kindle, browsing, email, watching iplayer stuff... god only knows how many hours it's done but it's still going strong. Bound to die on me in the middle of a program when I'm tucked up all comfy in bed shortly though I bet... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Their may be a very good reason why the best marketing company in the world have not included an SD slot and that is you don't need one. Well not if all you want to do is view pictures from your camera, its quite simple all you have to do is upgrade to an iPhone 4s. If all you want is point and shoot the camera on this is every bit as good as a compact. Then as soon as you have wifi they upload automatically over iCloud.

Very clever these Apple guys they make things that work seamlessly with each other and all you have to do is pay for it, you dont need to be a computer geek it just works. Then of course the iPhone5 will come out, then the iPad4 which will have something on you need and so it goes on & on & on & on & on & on and if people keep on buying, Apple will keep on releasing the next new product. And you know that when you are parting with your hard earned cash they have kept the next big thing back for the next release in 6 months time.
snow report
Interesting if this is true:

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/13/apple_ipad_3_tablet_benchmarked/
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?page=1&q=iPad2%2C2

iPad 3 slightly slower than iPad 2. It kind of makes sense. The increased horsepower is compensated by the increased pixel density, leading to an overall performance of 'pretty much the same'.

Why the hell isn't this thread in Apres, by the way? Last time I checked, you couldn't ski on an iPad.

I did once have the idea of submitting a 'check your weight' app to the app store, to see if I could trick iPad owners into standing on their iPads and breaking them. Also: iPhone rectal thermometer app.
ski holidays
Spyderman, My ipad (1 - old now I know Embarassed ) easily lasts a week or two between charges. I use it an hour or two most days. It just seems to last 'ages', not as good as a kindle, but in a different league to a laptop, netbook or iPhone.
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
....if all you want to do is view pictures from your camera, its quite simple all you have to do is upgrade to an iPhone 4s. ...

That's indeed the key...force you to buy more of their products...

Credit to them, by many accounts even just here that strategy works like a dream...

Where it falls through is when you want to interact with the outside world.. well, it doesn't fall through as such, you're just forced to buy adapters...Oh....there we go...that same strategy again! wink
latest report
paulio wrote:
Last time I checked, you couldn't ski on an iPad

There's probably an app for that.
latest report
Kruisler, Yes, 18 months ago I would never have considered a Mac on price alone, but now I use an iPad and iPhone I will definitely stump up for a Mac when the home computer needs upgrading.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy