Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbags

Poster: A snowHead
In preparation for sale season (some hope) I did some trying on of airbags yesterday. My conclusions

Snowpulse Freerider- Back not long enough, sits too high, shoulder straps feel unnatural
BCA Float - Back not long enough, sits too high
ABS Vario - Felt most like a trad sack with a longer back.

Based on this the ABS looks like the only game in town for me. Anything coming in the pipeline for next year that means I should hold fire and wait for someone who makes a longer back system without the irritating price gouges of £60 a pop for extra bits of zip on nylon costing pennies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, Very Happy

I am guessing that you tried the large version of the Snowpulse and the ABS Vario, BCA are single size packs.

Heads up for next year ABS will have two styles of Vario Base a standard version and also a protector version where you can attach a spine protector rather than the normal foam back, base price is essentially the same additional Komperdell spine protector will be extra £89.

Snowpulse will have two new models the 22L Heli Pack and a 35 L super light pack which will be lightest on the market, others stay the same.

BCA are changing to a 22 Float and a 32 Float I really liked the 22 float for fit and weight however it may not suit you. (some very good prices on this seasons packs)

The other big expansion is in the RAS systems, there will be over 10 different packs to the range plus colour options, the however is that its a one size backpack system.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, Apparently Scott are doing one next year to. With a removable airbag systme so you can use it either as a normal pack or as an ABS
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I glad my airbag doesn't have an explosive trigger. In airports which might be a bit sketchy about allowing airbags on to flights (eg all 3 Japanese airports I flown through) I think declaring an explosive trigger might have freaked them out just a bit too much. It was one of the factors in deciding to go for a Snowpulse system.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
I glad my airbag doesn't have an explosive trigger. In airports which might be a bit sketchy about allowing airbags on to flights (eg all 3 Japanese airports I flown through) I think declaring an explosive trigger might have freaked them out just a bit too much. It was one of the factors in deciding to go for a Snowpulse system.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference if you show them the IATA guidelines, they were written basically for the specs of the ABS system and allow for a small pyro charge. In fact I work with a guy who does competition shooting and seems to travel no problems even to the states and back with guns and ammo in the hold providing his paperwork is in order.

Edit having said this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57766 does suggest taking ABS into the states still isn't that easy but more because they want to look into the canister then a problem with the activation handle.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
betterinblack wrote:
I'm not sure it makes that much difference if you show them the IATA guidelines, they were written basically for the specs of the ABS system and allow for a small pyro charge.
In theory that's right, but in practice the decision to allow it or not might well be taken by an airport employee who has responsibility for luggage who might not have a working knowledge of the relevant bits of the IATA regs and no idea what an airbag is. All he sees is something suspicious on his x-ray. When we were flying back from Japan last month the airport official insisted that kitenski's cylinder was connected to his airbag (despite the IATA regs specifying this should not happen) because he thought that it was necessary to have a pressure relief valve in the system. I suspect that if it had been necessary to mention an explosive charge that might have been too much for the security guard to process and he would have denied carriage. I have nothing to prove this suggestion, of course, just a fear that it might have been the case.

Te one thing which is frustrating is that it all seems completely random, depending on who you get to speak to either in advance when you notify the carrier or at the airport when you have to get past security. For example, when kitenski was spending ages answering questions to get his luggage checked in to fly home from Japan the security guard who examined my bag immediately knew what it was and waved me through within 30 seconds and laughingly asked what the Japanese snow
was like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, have you seen the Scott bag yet?

I was out skiing with a mate who had one of this year's (ordinary) Scott backpacks and was really impressed with it as a pack. The pack looks a nice size in Warren's video report...

youtube.com/v/lXTtuDqzZQU
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
In theory that's right, but in practice the decision to allow it or not might well be taken by an airport employee who has responsibility for luggage who might not have a working knowledge of the relevant bits of the IATA regs and no idea what an airbag is. All he sees is something suspicious on his x-ray.

Agreed that's why you need a couple of copies of the IATA guidelines with you, accepted you would need someone in Japan who can read English well.

rob@rar wrote:
When we were flying back from Japan last month the airport official insisted that kitenski's cylinder was connected to his airbag (despite the IATA regs specifying this should not happen) because he thought that it was necessary to have a pressure relief valve in the system.

To be honest this isn't that odd a misunderstanding since the IATA guidlines are a bit confusing stating that "With the approval of the airline, an avalanche rescue backpack can be transported if it is equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of Div. 1.4S and less than 250 mL of compressed gas in Div. 2.2. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves.
So whilst we know that means the airbags and connecting the canister makes accidential activation more likely, perhaps your average security official doesn't.
Edit I see kitenski made this exact point on the main ABS thread in Feb

I also note ABS now recommend keeping airbag cylinder and activation handle in the same piece of hold luggage, so no more me using the backpack as my carry on with canister/handle in the hold.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 7-03-12 21:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
betterinblack wrote:
Agreed that's why you need a couple of copies of the IATA guidelines with you, accepted you would need someone in Japan who can read English well.
I do, one copy I keep with me, one copy I wrap around the canister. Even pointed to the relevant regulations written in the handbook the check-in agent had (fortunately I recognise the numbers as the text was in Japanese). They were still extremely cautious, and the IATA regs really didn't seem to carry much weight with them.

betterinblack wrote:
The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves.
The agent checking in kitenski clearly didn't understand that, hence asking him to connect the canister, even though my guy just waved me through. Some airports seem to have a bit of catching up to do with regard to the IATA regs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
betterinblack, I use the ABS vario as carry on luggage, no probs the other week,

Oh.. the vario does come in two back lengths. I am almost 5'10" but found the small to be a perfect fit. The long was way too... errr... long Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

ABS Vario, BCA are single size packs.

Nope, ABS comes in two sizes for sure, I use the Large and the missus is a Small!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ABS packs asthe_doc, says come in 2 sizes S and L. I ski Large, and my OH small. Apparently the lengths are the same, its the length of the waist straps thats the difference.

Never tried anything but ABS so cant comment on others but I ski the 5L freeride which is totally lift friendly and is well big enough for a day pack. Used to have a 15L and sold it because it was just to big for on/ off lift access without being crushed or falling off forwards! I honestly dont know why anyone needs >5L freeride unless you're carrying harness/ ropes etc, I think the new ABS zip-off systems look excellent and could be tempted in future but happy as I am. All I need is skins, water-bottle, spare goggles, sunnys, camera, bivvy blanket, compass, chocolate/ snacks and spare layers and it all goes in there with careful packing. Shovel, handle and probe on the outside.

Paco-the-packhorse aint me.com!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS We take ABS on airlines (EJ, Jet2, Swiss, Lufthansa) as hand luggage, trigger and carbon canister in hold in ski bag, no issues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, No not played with the Scott backpack yet, its a Snowpulse/Mammut RAS system there are going to be loads of options on the RAS backpack going forwards from lots of different brands all using the RAS system.

the_doc, yep thats what I said LOL
Quote:

I am guessing that you tried the large version of the Snowpulse and the ABS Vario,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the_doc, yep thats what I said LOL

DOH! (imaginary face slap) that'll teach me to skim read forums Embarassed
latest report
Quote:

All I need is skins, water-bottle, spare goggles, sunnys, camera, bivvy blanket, compass, chocolate/ snacks and spare layers and it all goes in there with careful packing. Shovel, handle and probe on the outside

Blimey! You fit all that into a 5L pack! I've got the 25L one and carry about the same!
latest report
the_doc, Just threw the airbags out and now plenty of room!!

Just good packing!
snow report
Impressive....most impressive....

EDIT: that was my best Darth Vader BTW!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-03-12 11:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've got the 18lt ultra light and can fit in quite a bit, full avi gear, small duvet jacket, insulated bladder, food, camera etc.

I got the large length ABS at first but sent it back, the small did seem to be a shorter back length by approx 2 inches, on the large the shoulder straps had empty space above my shoulders Shocked
snow report
Markymark29, got a pic of how you get all that in a 5l bag? as the_doc says I get that in a 15L with enough space for a small snack/sandwich....
ski holidays
kitenski, Not sure how to post pics but will try upload one on Sunday
ski holidays
Markymark29, cheers!

If you get stuck PM me or email the pic to me...
snow report
Just thought i'd mention that sportspursuit.co.uk have the BCA float airbags on sale for 12 more hours, the 18L is only £369 and 30L £399.
ski holidays
Saw the Scott / Snowpulse - looked a neat concept - though still like my ABS setup with two bags, ultralight 18 (I think) for day tour stuff and 35lt for longer stuff.
ski holidays
goozy, welcome to snowHeads, and thanks for the info.

What is sportspursuit.co.uk??
latest report
Mosha Marc,

See thread called "BCA Float 30?" also in this section where livetoski supplies the answer
snow report
Big Paua, ta.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

I've bought a bit of gear of sports pursuit and been highly delighted.

The only problem is delivery - they don't ship until after the sale has ended and as most of it comes straight from the manufacturer you can wait 3-4 weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

I've bought a bit of gear of sports pursuit and been highly delighted.

The only problem is delivery - they don't ship until after the sale has ended and as most of it comes straight from the manufacturer you can wait 3-4 weeks.
Hi Mosha Marc, sorry could not reply sooner. the above explains about sportspursuit. they do have lots if ski related sales, even seen movement ski also in last couple of weeks. def a site to keep an eye on.
ski holidays
Sportspursuit.co.uk? Who said that! Damn you! I'm now a few hundred quid lighter and it's all YOUR fault! Smile
latest report
feef wrote:
Sportspursuit.co.uk? Who said that! Damn you! I'm now a few hundred quid lighter and it's all YOUR fault! Smile
Yeah, sorry about that but i look at it that i've saved £200 for some other kit. for anyone else out there, seems the have extended the sale untill later today.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
kitenski, Not sure how to post pics but will try upload one on Sunday

cough cough
ski holidays
kitenski, Don't know how to put photos on here, gave up in the end, decided i'm going to go for a 15L new model ABS over the summer because I can't get my DSLR camera in the Freeride 5L sack comfortably, also need some crampons and a harness for bigger routes planned for next year. So i'm going to sell my Freeride.....It's got a carbon canister, and it's for sale for decent offers, but not selling for less than £500 (£700 new and it's only 2 years old). I'm only 15 miles from Leeds, can meet if you want to view it??

Did you use the guide I mentioned, how was St Anton? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Markymark29, yes, used him for 2 days, 1st day video and pics are up here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88642

It wasn't to buy, it was to understand how you got so much in a 5L sack!!
snow conditions
kitenski, No problem, will watch your You-tube tomorrow at work, line speed too slow at home.

He's a great guide, 2 days .....great stuff, trust you enjoyed I then!
snow report
Markymark29, yes had a good week, it's our 3rd year in a row out there! I only went the 1st day as my wife was keen to go, so I skied with my eldest on the 2nd day while she went off and did the North face of Valluga, around Zurs and the back of Rendl!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy