Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

right tell me about Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We went for the first time this year and ended up on a gastronomic tour of the area trying something different most days. Everything was fine, but I didn't like the Germknödel, I liked best the kaizerschmarm (chopped up pancake with icing sugar and don't forget the fruit compote - one plate def. enough for 2-3) and the tirolergrostel.

On the first Sunday of the half term holiday we queued for about 20 mins at the main Achterjet gondola in Flachau, but didn't have any other huge problems with lift queues.

We didn't sauna!

You could afford to lunch on the mountain every day Very Happy

We are going back next year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kay wrote:
All very interesting stuff - have also been researching Austria and have come up with the Ski Welt area - Maybe staying at Westendorff or Soll - but not completely convinced about the snow sure thing as it looks to be a tad low - has anyone had a bad year here ? Also looking at the Saalbach area but not sure if is too low and people have said this and its neighbour Hinter... have a walk to get on the lifts from wherever you are staying. And finallly we usually go to France DIY has anyone rented an appartment - Many thanks if you can help. Laughing
You won't be making any mistakes by going to the Ski Welt. All of the villages are good, though personally I would not go for Brixen or Hopfgarten cos they are on the sunny side and you sometimes can't ride down to the valley. As far as snow is concerned you just can't compare Austria with France. The slopes in Austria are not based on a rock strewn moonscape, so you only need a very few cm's to be able to ski. Also, you are a lot further east in Austria than you are in France so even though the resorts are not as high the snow lasts much longer to a lower level. I have skied Kitzbühel ( just a couple of Km down the road from Ski Welt ) in April, no problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kay wrote:
but not completely convinced about the snow sure thing as it looks to be a tad low -.... And finallly we usually go to France DIY

The second is the reason why you think the first.

As a generalisation, you need about 300m less altitude in Austria to get similar skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must admit I find this add 300m to Austrain heights to get equivalent in France interesting because add 300m to the heights of a lot of ski areas in Austria (I'm not really bothered by base height) and I would still find the height a little low by many resorts standards elsewhere.
Not trying to slag of Austrian skiing by the way I have been pretty much every year for the past nine or ten years and really enjoy it but I do remember reports from friends of some seriously poor conditions from some of the lower resorts quite frequenly in the late 80's early 90's.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I do remember reports from friends of some seriously poor conditions from some of the lower resorts quite frequenly in the late 80's early 90's.

yes, but there are seriously poor conditions in France too, from time to time. I have had VERY bad snow in Chamonix in mid January one year, for example. I have driven through La Clusaz and Megeve at various points in various seasons with little snow to be seen from the road and with resort runs closed. There may well be snow higher up - a great many French resorts, despite the typical "rock strewn moonscape" comments, include a lot of pistes which are on grassy pastures, and not necessarily high altitude. Only a small handful of the hundreds of French resorts have much, or indeed any,"moonscape" skiing. And welcome though they are, in the middle of a warm April, or before Christmas, they are the exception, not the rule.

If you only go to the highest and most snowsure resorts (Tignes, Obertauern etc) you are denying yourself many more attractive and characterful destinations which, most of the time, will have plenty of skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our French area tops out at 2000m and until last year, when it closed early because of the very poor snow conditions and HOT weather, we have skied till the end of the season, around 26 April, every year since 2003. I wouldn't, generally recommend it for an April holiday though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kay, just come back from a place called Kirchberg next to Kitzbuhel and would highly recommend it. Great bars and restaurants, reasonably priced, yes it is on the low side but if you get the all star pass which is about 17 euros more you can ski over to Westendorff and all the ski welt. We met up with a fellow snow head called Steve Neish, I don't know h ow many people are going on your hols but he has a fantastic apartment which sleep 6 - 8, 5 mins walk to the centre, two mins walk to one of the local apres ski bars called the Boomerang which has beer for 1 euro between 5 and 6oclock, has a massive balcony facing the night ski mountain and has fabulous views, it also boasts it's own bar!!! We came home on Saturday and are already looking to go back there. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, it is a well-known climatological phenomena called continentality! The 300m is an approximate figure so that the numpties that think that height is the be all and end all of things have something to work on. It keeps the hamsters in their tiny brains working and happy! Laughing wink

Here's a link to a Wiki page trying to explain it in layman's terms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continentality
This is a better explanation but more about continental climate zones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_climate

There are actually many factors involved especially in high alpine regions where microclimates can produce huge differences between neighbouring valleys let alone different provinces! I've sat on a chair in one area of the Ski Amadé for example and watched it snow heavily all around, while I had weakish sunshine and fairly good visibility. The Paß Lueg tunnels south of Salzburg always have me guessing as well enter on the north side in drizzle and poor vis, come out the other side into bright sunshine. It never ceases to amaze me how different the weather can be in such small areas.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy