Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help snowboarding advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I am new to this forum but I have worked in the ski industry for a while even though I have boarded over three years ago in China of all places I really want to learn and get out to resort more. Me and my mate Ben where chatting last night and we feel we should aim to hit a dry slope and get some lessons and practice time.

Are dry slopes a good idea before hitting the slopes, are lessons a good idea and how many lessons do you think a person needs before he can just practice on his own

Any advice would really help cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KSNOWZ, Where do you live?
I can not comment on dry slopes but any UK indoor snowdome will be good for some lesson or practice during the summer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I avoid dry slopes like the plague, they really are horrible on a board. You could look at doing a 'learn to board in a day' course in one of the fridges, they're about £100 for the day and get most people to a level where they can ride the slope on their own. HTH
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick reply

Cool I live in Woking surrey and my mate lives in Chessington . I think there is a snowdome pretty close do they have fridges?

The learn to board in a day seems perfect, can you rent the equipment from them?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Learn to board in a day includes rental of boots, board n bindings and lunch (in Tamworth anyway).

Oh and snowdome = fridge Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool will check it out today great tips will let you both know how we get on. do you need any special clothing someone advised me to get padded crash pants!

Thank you both
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Echo what others have said - try a snowdome rather than a dry slope. I learnt at a dry slope many years ago and when I first got on snow it was a revelation!

I think you can rent snowboard trousers and a jacket at the snowdomes. You need to wear something reasonably waterproof and warm as you will spend a lot of time falling over and sitting on the snow.

For beginners, impact shorts ('padded crash pants') are a good idea, as are knee pads and wrist guards. However make sure you buy snowboard specific wrist guards as the ones for other sports e.g. skateboarding and in-line skating are designed for a different kind of impact and are not at all suitable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Kat

That is super advice will let you know how we get along
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey All

Thank you for all the advice spoke to my mate Ben and we are going to hit Hemel Hemstead SnowDome . I signed up for the newsletter so hopefully we will get some offers.

I will let you know how it goes but thank you all
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

However make sure you buy snowboard specific wrist guards as the ones for other sports e.g. skateboarding and in-line skating are designed for a different kind of impact and are not at all suitable

Really? I never knew that. I would have assumed the impact types would have been identical.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kat.ryb, was it someone in a ski shop selling wristguards who told you that perchance? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KSNOWZ, if you're thinking about wrist protectors - have a look at Level Fly gloves, they've wrist protectors built in and they are way more comfortable and convenient than the separate glove/protector combo. They do cost a bit though.

As far as the rest goes (knee pads, shorts etc etc) it's not really necessary, just remember pain is a great teacher.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
monkey, nope the impact isn't quite the same although very similar in certain circumstances. A fall on a flat bit of slope where all your speed is converted to downward force and an abrupt stop is very like an in line skate or skateboard fall. However more common snowboard falls are at an angle and some of you speed is washed off as you slide downhill. Also the in line skate ones have a rigid insert which is designed to help you slide along the concrete which isn't needed for snowboarding.

bobmcstuff, nope I don't wear them. Had a good think about it after my boyfriend broke his wrist at Christmas but for me the benefit v hassle trade off isn't worth it.

Admittedly this website is linked through to selling wrist guards - but there is some quite useful information on here about medical research papers which have been published.

Quote:
Some guards currently on the market have been seen to lead to unusual fractures directly under the guard itself. This has been most recently reported by the Medicins de Montagne group of doctors in the French Alps. At the ISSS meeting in 2005, they reported on a series of cases where boarders wearing very short and rigid guards (designed originally for in-line skaters) had sustained wrist fractures directly under the guard. The take home message is that not every guard is as good as you might hope it will be in every situation, although I would say that I personally think wearing one of these guards is better than wearing no guard at all.

http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/wrist_guards

Quote:

A recent study from the French Alps has provided some evidence to support what l have been suggesting for a couple of years now - namely, that to provide maximum protection a standalone snowboard wrist guard should:

Have a degree of flexibility in the guard material - rigid inserts may be more likely to cause the sort of fracture shown in the pictures above

Have protection situated along the back of the wrist (the most important spot), with or without protection on the palm side and

Extend some distance up the forearm and not be of the short stubby type used by inline skaters (this type of guard is designed to slide along concrete/tarmac surfaces. Quite different to a fall on snow)

http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/wrist_guards
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy