Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski trip - End of March 2013 - Obertauern or St Christoph?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone!

It's time to start planning next year's ski trip! I have read through loads of reviews on here, other websites and TO brochures, and have short-listed to 2 resorts (3 hotels). I would very much appreciate some first hand experience or advise on these resorts/hotels. Many thanks.

We are a family of 3:
Me - Lower Intermediate - prefer cruising Blues and easy Reds.
Son - Intermediate - happy to do Blues and Reds, and can do Blacks when conditions are right.
OH - Upper Intermediate - happy to do any runs as long as he gets to go skiing.

Other requirements - short transfers, ski-in/ski-out and snowsure, and hence the 2 resorts shortlisted which I believe fit our criterias.

Obertauern
This seems to be a very popular resort amongst Snowheads. Looking at the piste map, it seems like there are a good variety of runs that all 3 of us can enjoy. However, I am slightly confused as to how easy/difficult it is to get from one end of the resort to the other end. It appears that there are chairlifts at either ends of the resort. Which is a "better" end in the sense that the ski run back to the hotel at the end of the day is an easier one?

Hotel Schneider - sounds very nice and it appears to be at the right side of the resort, near the Gamsleiten 6-chairlift. However, will need to do DIY as not on any TO brochure. Any comments on hotel and location would be appreciated.

Hotel Steiner - the easier option as can book through Inghams. Is this on the other side (left) of the resort? I also read a few comments that if you book through Inghams you get the lower floor noisey rooms near the pool. Any comments on hotel or location will again be appreciated.

Ski schools - there seem to be about 4/5 ski schools to choose from. Any recommendations re best for children? I presume the location of hotel will affect my choice? or vice versa.

St Christoph
If we go to St Christoph, we will book through Inghams as they have a new Chalet hotel this year called St Christoph. Has anyone stayed there?

It appears that this is a very small village. Is it true ski-in/ski-out as the brochure says it has the Maiensee T-bar but where does that lead to? Can you get to a main chairlift easily from the Chalet Hotel? How easy is it to get to Lech, St Anton? I am slightly concerned that St Anton might be a bit too challenging for me but Lech sounds lovely.

Ski School - there is only one. Is this good for children and do they speak good English?

Many thanks in advance for all your help. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi. Can't comment on St. Christopher as we've not been, but thoughts on Obertauern

We stayed near the Gamsleiten end of town on the Gamsleiten side. The other side of the road would be better, more runs and apres. The other end where the Grünwaldkopfbahn is has a higher concentration of lifts but it's mainly a collection of hotels out past the end of the resort. Any hotel in the town proper either is a very short walk or ski to/from a pste/lift. Nice easy blue run down from the Edelweissbahn means you can end the day in the Lürzeralm apres bar, bit more than just a bar and not to be missed.

DIY is easy with Salzburg an hour away. Obertauern was also in the Crystal brochure this year.

The runs are short and the only trees are on Monte Flu a small area with easy blues and a great mountain hut the Almrausch. When the wind blows you know it. Early one january we needed goggles and a good lean into the wind just to walk about.

We liked being able to ski the circuit around the the resort in either direction. There are plenty of blues and easy reds with some harder challenges along th way. Really good apres and somevreally nice hotels.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the comments, HutToHut. Very useful comments re the different chairlifts. I found the piste map quite confusing. Will investigate hotels near Edelweissbahn as really want an easy run back at the end of the day when we all get a bit tired. And Luraeralm sounds like a must visit!

Just a quick question, if we do stay on the Gamsleiten end of town, how easy is the run back to the hotels? And in the morning, I presume one can take the Gamsleiten chairlift up and then ski across to the other side to the Plattenkarbahn? Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowy123, we stayed in the Schneider a few years ago - lovely hotel, right next to the Gamsleitn list and it's genuine ski in-out .
We also stayed in the Hotel Zehnerker/Obertauern (2 separate building joined by underground link) which while not quite as "convenient" , we actually preferred. It's a bit smaller and slight more informal (and the swimming pool as warmer )
And there also are a few trees if you take the schaidbergbahn lift Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowy123, there's a long blue that traverses across down from Zehnerkar, easy but longish. The route from the other end takes the Achenrainbahn up over the road and then a short little steeper blue down. Mornings there's a ski bridge across the road then down to the Edelweißbahn or the Plattenkar. No need to go up the Gamsleitenbahn unless you want to traverse over to Sonnenlift/Grünwaldkopfbahn. If the Lürzeralm is full there's the Latschenalm nextdoor another dancing in ski boots place:-)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, Hamish, for the hotel comments. Hotel Zehnerker has newly refurbished rooms which makes it quite tempting. Also, prices seem more reasonable than Schnedier as I just realised the week we are planning is Easter week and it's looking very expensive! I originally thought we were going the week before Easter and thought it might be cheaper! Just a quick question on location of the Zehnerker hotel, is the closest lift the Gamsleitnbahn? And is it an uphill walk? How long does it take? Many thanks.

HutToHut, thanks for the explanations on the runs. It's now making a lot more sense. I am just so useless at reading piste maps!

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowy123, The nearest lift would be the Gamsleiten - from what I can remember there are 2 ski rooms - if you use the one in the building at the back then you can walk up a short ridge (a couple of metres) and then pole gently across to the Gamsleiten a 100 metres or so - I think it's slightly down hill so not too much effort
You can see how close with google maps...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.247324,13.558992&hl=en&ll=47.247324,13.558996&spn=0.007472,0.016201&sll=47.246771,13.559489&sspn=0.007473,0.016201&oq=hotel+obertauern,austria&doflg=ptk&t=h&z=16

The Gamsleiten lift is about 6 building to the South East.

It's also convenient if you're dropping kids off at ski school as it back on to the nursery area where they meet initially (but all the schools do a minibus pick from the hotels anyway I think) You can do some poling down to the lower end of the resort and meet up with the Zehnerkar lift, but it's a bit more effort than the Gamsleiten.

Agree about the price - it was particularly good for me as they did a kids under 6 for free package - useful when you have 2 of them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowy123, I've stayed in Stuben (next village to St Chrisoph), from what I've seen of St Christoph it's a very compact village with easy access to Stuben and St Anton. You'd need to get the free public bus/post bus to Lech/Zurs, where the skiing is lovely.

Having said that I've taken beginners over from Stuben to Rendl via St Anton and back on skis, there are good wide slopes for intermediates in the area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Hamish. Always useful to get info direct from someone who has stayed at the hotel.

kitenski, thanks for the comment on the area. We want to ski in Lech but it seems a lot cheaper to stay in St Christoph!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone stayed at Chalet Hotel St Christoph?

Any other hotel recommendations for Obertauern?

Thanks! Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy123, I've stayed at the Schneider. Absolutely gorgeous hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. You can ski to and from the back door of the hotel. The food was to die for, especially the buffets!

I loved Obertauern and would love to go back again.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Ray Zorro. Good to hear that Schnedier has food to die for. Hubby and I love our food!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy