Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smoking in 'Bubbles' - small gondolas

Poster: A snowHead
Bubbles - the little mini gondolas taking 6-8 people.

Busy lift - all bubbles full, I got separated and rode in a bubble with a clear group of 5 other guys - I guess in their 20's all together who were not speaking english. All the bubbles had no-smoking signs. Within 30 seconds and without exception every single lad had lit up a ciggie of some description or another.

I decided that descretion was the better part of valour and didn't say anything.

Assuming you were a non-smoker, as I am, what would you have done?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-03-12 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, one stern stare from you and they'd probably have soiled their pants.

Wouldn't have improved the smell though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman, Scarey? Moi? Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thought this was about Michael Jackson when he ran out of lube.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, You should have thrashed the dirty stinkers with your poles, its what they are for.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, A tricky one. My wife would have thrown them all out of the little window.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a smoker and that is a definate no-no. I would have asked them to put them out ......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gdbn, as you are a smoker I appreciate the thought! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gdbn, I agree with the no-no bit, but Megamum is a lone female in a confined environment with 5 blokes. It's not always a good idea to risk confronting them in those circumstances. Sad as that may be.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots, sadly that was at the back of my mind - it was a long gondola too, easily 10-15+ mins. Hence finally deciding not to act, but I was surprised that they did it in the first place. They knew I was a woman who clearly wasn't smoking - as gdbn, notes many smokers, particularly these days, are sensitive to those who don't smoke. Indeed they didn't even offer me a cigarette to test whether I smoked prior to lighting up which might have made things clearer to them. I just tend to think they were in a couldn't care less group and this wasn't good IMO.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Ugh, where was it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
where else am I supposed to crack out my bong? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was the Achterjet frunning up from Flachau - the prime lift in the area. It was just me and this group of lads that got on after me. The very first lift of the holiday actually, and I had on a brand new jacket for the first time that I didn't really want to end up smelling like an ashtray!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, I would have asked them to put them out (I spend half my life doing it at work rolling eyes ). I certainly would have opened the windows as far as they would go
snow report
Megamum, not good as a hope to be ex smoker soon Shocked its a real no no to smoke in bubbles, but its not the worst thing I have seen, I saw some guy take a leak out of the door once Shocked Shocked
snow report
holidayloverxx, poor lads, I would have felt sorry for them, each with the mark of Zorro accross their cheeks.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-03-12 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, one of them did open the little window for all the good it did - clearly the smoke build up got too much for them!. I wonder how many ciggies I smoked in that trip. I could have understood it had they been alone in their group since they all smoked, but to do it in a gondola with one other occupant who was not smoking was not on in my book, but there seemed little I could do about it. I wonder if they would have done it with a child in the gondola?
ski holidays
Megamum, I suspect the answer is 'yes'.
snow report
Megamum, by the sounds of it, Mother Teresa sporting an oxygen mask would not have bothered them. Selfish twunts.
latest report
Coughed loudly nonstop 'til they put them out. If it was bad enough that you ended up chundering over one of them, well...
latest report
Every time anyone has gone to light up, even on a chairlift, they've asked permission from the others on the chair. It doesn't bother me at all as an ex-smoker, and I know what it is like on a long chair where a smoke can be really enjoyable.

Surprised anyone would light up in a bubble, particularly without asking permission. 20-something blokes are often not very considerate, and if they are rude enough not to ask then they aren't going to listen if you tell them to stop.

Any time anyone has ever asked me not to smoke I put it out - even outside or in an open area, if it bothers them I can wait until they're not around.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I wonder if they would have done it with a child in the gondola?

Oh come on. It's a bit of a logical leap to go from 'smoking in an unauthorized area' to that!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I wonder if they would have done it with a child in the gondola?
I think they take a bit of lighting to be honest.
latest report
I would have done nothing at the time, but asked a bunch of people on the internet afterwards..... oh hang on... Happy

sorry it is Friday Smile Do what you want to do and be happy with your choices Happy
snow report
Megamum,

Shame you didn't have a curry the night before - then at least they would have opened the bubble!
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
gdbn, I agree with the no-no bit, but Megamum is a lone female in a confined environment with 5 blokes. It's not always a good idea to risk confronting them in those circumstances. Sad as that may be.

My thoughts too. If they had been French and they weren't too unapproachable I might have asked if they wouldn't mind stopping.

I had a situation on a chair with three smoking Dutch yobs a few years back. Not a problem as we weren't confined in a bubble. Until the prat next to me started gobbing onto people on the piste below, actually aiming at them. I waited until I was safely off before I went for him. Shared it on here IIRC Twisted Evil
latest report
They sound like a bunch of Charlie Hunts to me. Dirty smeg bags.

Of course, you did the British Gentlemanly thing which is admiral, but what they really needed was someone to toss them out the gondola to the rocks below to save Darwin from having to take it's natural cause with them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hahah admiral ?! Admirable even !
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Whenever I've been in a bubble in France with other people in that situation they have always asked me first if I minded... (which I don't even though I don't smoke) and then offered me a cigarette...

Maybe just lucky... or maybe I look scarier Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I must admit that I wish I had said something, but there were 5 of 'em and no guarantee that they would speak English or take my point of view and it could have led to problems. There is a huge bit of me that would have liked the guts to have reached out and grabbed the poison sticks out of their mouths and ground them into the floor in front of them then stuffed 'em back their jacket pockets. I now just wonder what I'd do if ever in a similar situation again. I'm esp. interested in the views of other women, would you as a single woman in that situation risk a confrontation?
snow report
The were a bunch of knobheads.
It very is very rare to get in a smokey smelling gondola. I have only been in 2 or 3 over the last 6 years where it was evident that people had been previously smoking.

Not being a lone lady on her own with a bunch of 5 knobheads, I certainly would have had something to say!
snow conditions
Just start coughing and coughing till you manage a projectile vomit over as much of their gear as possible
ski holidays
Megamum, well if you do that you may just find they get issed off. A polite please can you put it out and 99.99% would happily do so.
latest report
Megamum,
Quote:

would you as a single woman in that situation risk a confrontation?
No. But I might try to play the 'I'm really sorry, but I've got terrible asthma, so would be grateful if you could desist' card, or similar. Would probably only try this if I spoke their lingo, though there again, maybe I would preface that, if I had to, with 'Do you speak English?'
snow report
I wouldn't mind if they were sharing.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I'm esp. interested in the views of other women, would you as a single woman in that situation risk a confrontation?

I don't think it would be a good place to risk a confrontation - whether male or female, you were outnumbered and on your own. I certainly had a go when I got off the chairlift I was on. Quite an international incident and I would do it again.
latest report
A couple of years ago I was in a gondola with a French chap who was smoking a joint. To be fair he held it outside the door which was ajar and he did offer to share it with the rest of us.

Well it was in La Grave after all.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

Assuming you were a non-smoker, as I am, what would you have done?

Inhaled. I assume that these were the traditional alpine herbal cigarettes and the young gents were engaging in the practice known as hot-boxing, then a little bit of passive herbal air works wonders for relaxing your technique.
snow report
Quote:

I saw some guy take a leak out of the door once

Better than taking a leak inside the door, I guess.

Megamum, interesting question. I definitely wouldn't snatch one out of their mouths - that's just asking for trouble. Would try coughing first. Then if they didn't get the message, ask them not to smoke and point at the notice. I'd ask initially (assuming I had no idea what language they were speaking) in the language of the country I was in. Then English. Then I'd probably cough some more and sound like I might be about to vomit.... Then maybe fart a bit (the coughing would be causing that, no trouble). then hopefully we'd be at the top and I could stagger out, still coughing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy