Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to mount bindings ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My new 170 GS skis when put up against my 164 Slalom skis :

From tip to front binding is exactly the same, which means all the extra length is on eth tail of the ski
However the waist of the ski (or narrowest point) is right in the middle of the bindings - which means the mid point of the ski is further back on eth GS ski than the slalom ski

Is this typical ? Is there a particualr location for the waist of any ski ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sev112 wrote:
My new 170 GS skis when put up against my 164 Slalom skis :

From tip to front binding is exactly the same, which means all the extra length is on eth tail of the ski
However the waist of the ski (or narrowest point) is right in the middle of the bindings - which means the mid point of the ski is further back on eth GS ski than the slalom ski

Is this typical ? Is there a particualr location for the waist of any ski ?

WTF you bought a 170 GS ski for? Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would probably help if you said how tall you are and what you race experience is. (Can't be bothered to search...)
I generally reckon on a differential between SL and GS skis of at least 20cm, so either your GS skis are too short, or you slalom skis are too long.. Puzzled Your call.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably because he/she wants them? Though I must confess,I would have thought anyone riding this type of ski would have had an idea of binding position?

Markings on the top sheet,guidence from the manufacturer?

If all else fails,contact our resident ski tuning guru spyderjon..... www.jonsskituning.co.uk
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a lot of theory, mostly conflicting, on the best place to mount bindings. I don't think any of them refer to the waist of the ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi - cos the GS skis were a comp prize
I'm 5 ft 7
My slalom skis are 164 which are i think a little bit too long (but they are lovely) but they are 10 years old

The Kneissl RCs i went for 170, because the alternative length of 162 was too similar to the Rossi 164s, so i wanted something that gave me some extra length, and a bt of extra width , so i had a little bit more versatility, but accepting i spend 90% on piste (that might be an underestimate!) i dont suddenly want to go any longer or wider.

i dont race - i dont get to ski enough Sad BUt i like to go fast and straight ( Toofy Grin ) ish Smile

Out of interest Mosha Marc, what's the general logic ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sev112, I am not Mosha Marc, but in the old days....this is one method how it was done by ski techs and it took ages and they needed to know what they were doing.

You mount at ball of foot. You need to bang on side of boot with your foot in it to find where this is and mark it.

Then to find the place on the ski, put the skis together base to base and measure exact contact length, then divide by 2 and measure that distance from the rear contact point on the ski, that is your BOF mark. Then boot goes here line up the marks and then you can work out centre mark on the ski from the boot.

someone will prob correct me on something, but that is what i remember watching 25 years ago!

as you can see boot centre marks printed on the ski are much faster........but only for people with size 8 to 9 feet! (ish)

There are other ways, like the campbell balancer that spyderjon has

I have very small feet, so the manufacturers boot centre marks tend to put me back a bit from where i would like to be, it seemed to be really bad on older volkls, my old 5 stars i moved forward by 2 1/2 cm from the centre line.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boot centre on narrowest point of the ski?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sev112, That length sounds fine, looking at the website there is also a 178 but it will be designed for people a fair bit taller and heavier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks carroz, - quite interesting ; esp the very small feet situation

Bindings on both skis are at the waist / narrowest point
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy