Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Austria ...... stopover suggestions please?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd suggest a heavy dose of ManUp tonic.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi All

We are driving to a ski resort ( Maria Alm) in Salzburg next February half term. The suggested route on the AA website from Calais is Belgium, Cologne, Frankfurt, Nurenburg, Munich, Salzburg. About 11 hours from Calais.
Please could someone let me have a stopover suggestion for the way down - probably 6 hours from Calais.
Also, a stopover on the way back - about 7 or 8 hours from Salzburg. I would also be interested in something just a couple of hours from salzburg in case we want to ski on our departure day.
Just something clean, cheap and cheerful. We are a family of 5 so can't fit in a Novotel family room ( they only take 4). So maybe an Ibis or Etap where we can book ( ideally) interconnecting rooms. As close to the motorway as possible so we don't waste time trying to find it.

Also, is this the best route ? I see that some have suggested that through Luxembourg is better ( and cheaper).
Do I need to get a gizmo for the toll roads like I have for France ?

We are going the Uk Feb half term so will need to book up early. Planning to get eurotunnel on Friday at about 3pm ( although temtped to pull the kids out of school for all of Friday and go for 8am crossing instead !

Went to snowzone at Hemel today for the kids to have a lesson so am getting my snowhead on.

Thanks for all your help
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, are they any extra driving conditions for Germany and Austria ?

( we are used to France we warning triangle, snowchains, yellow jackets and now the breathalysers)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Do I need to get a gizmo for the toll roads like I have for France ?

nope
Will need to buy a toll sticker for Austrian autobahn - I get mine from first "proper" autobahn services past Munich (where there's a sign I think saying they're for sale).

Quote:

are they any extra driving conditions for Germany and Austria ?

Triangle - and you're expected to use it in emergency! First aid kit (I think).

Quote:

Also, is this the best route ? I see that some have suggested that through Luxembourg is better ( and cheaper).

Lille-Charleroi-Luxembourg-Karlsruhe-Munich might be quicker, and certainly cheaper fuel. There's a cross country bit off the autobahn for a while (no idea what that's like).
I thought A3 Frankfurt-Nuremburg was a disaster zone due to rebuilding autobahn (but I'll admit I've not been that way, mainly because of the rumours - I ought to check the current status)

Aachen-Koblenz-Mannheim-Karlsruhe etc.is another option. Few snowheads have stayed in Ibis/Etap/F1 at Mannheim or Pforzheim, which are about 6 hours in to the journey from either end.

Check BB Hotel as well as Ibis/Etap. Room prices seem reasonable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winter tyres........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
countryman wrote:
Winter tyres........
Hi countryman.
Are winter tyres needed even if we have a 4 wheel drive and carry snowchains ?
Is this for Austria or Germany ( or both)

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed at this place once http://www.hotel-seligweiler-ulm.de/en/home.html Google Maps reckons it is 3.5 hours from Maria Alm and 8 hours from Calais. It sounds like it won't fit in with your timings but it may be interesting for you (or others). It is right on the Ulm Ost junction on the A8, very easy to find. It is a while since I was there but I remember that the price was reasonable, the room was good enough and breakfast was fine.

Quote:

First aid kit (I think)

Yes, a first aid kit is required in Austria. Also, check the use by date on your first aid kit. I went on a Rotes Kreuz First Aid course a few months ago. The Trainer told a story of a guy who was fined €180 because his first aid kit in his car was out of date.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mud+Snow, with the mountain and snowflake symbol is fine. For both.

There's a gazillion threads on that topic. German law in a few words is something like... if it's snowy or icy then you must have "all weather" tyres fitted (not summer only tyres)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SaraJ, Useful to know. I stopped in Pforzheim last week as I was on my own and didn't want to drive any further on my own, plus it added quite a bit of time going in and out (I was in the outskirts). I was thinking about Ulm next time.

andy, I checked with Bridgestone tyres to see if my new A100 all weather tyres were legal as they have M and S and a mountain symbol but not a snowflake - they said yes they were and on some tyres the snowflake isn't on them as it depends on the size. sounds odd to me but I asked them twice to confirm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy wrote:
Mud+Snow, with the mountain and snowflake symbol is fine. For both.

There's a gazillion threads on that topic. German law in a few words is something like... if it's snowy or icy then you must have "all weather" tyres fitted (not summer only tyres)
Thanks Andy.
Have just checked my tyres and they are Pirelli Scorpians STR and the have M & S on them. So I think they are ok and may well explain why we have never needed to put on our snowchains. My Volvo XC70 has always handled well in the snow
Glad I don't have to fork out for a set of winter tyres - driving would suddenly become an expensive option.
Now just need to decide on route and hotels - The Lille Chareloi etc you suggested looks far better than the AA route. Another website suggested going as far as Chalons Champagne and then cutting across ( this way we could stop at Reims on the way home unless we decide to come back in one hit which do from the French Alps).
So many options and will also check that the First Aid kit is in date ( didn't realise it could go out of date).
Any other hotel recommendations from snowheads for a stopover appreciated.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, really depends which route you finally choose. but anywhere between Frankfurt and Pforzheim is basically about half way. Everything by the Autobahn at Frankfurt is right at the airport, so airport hotel prices. Mannheim, Pforzheim, Saarbrucken, Karlruhe, Stuttgart, Ulm won't be (these are all too close to home for me so I've never stayed at them. I stayed at an Ibis in Munich a couple of times, but it's a slight palaver to get to, not far from Allianz Arena)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, I did Lille, Tournai, Charleroi, Namur then down to Lux last week. It's a fairly nice road. Depending on how far you want to drive on day 1 I could recommend this in Pforzheim. It might be too far, but would suit you - it's a self contained house with 3 bedrooms and they only let to one party at a time as there is only 1 bathroom (2 loos)
http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/minihotel-buechenbronn.en-gb.html?sid=bc774cf46c5f599f207062e00fb0348d;dcid=1;checkin=2013-01-12;checkout=2013-01-13;in_a_group=on;widened_group=1;group_adults=2;group_children=0;group_adults=3;group_children=0[/url]
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SaraJ wrote:
Also, check the use by date on your first aid kit. I went on a Rotes Kreuz First Aid course a few months ago. The Trainer told a story of a guy who was fined €180 because his first aid kit in his car was out of date.

Eh? I've never known first aid kits have a datestamp on them. What is going to go off with a roll of duct tape and a few plastic gloves??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW, Sterile dressings have a date stamped on them...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW, SaraJ, Same in Germany. I had to replace mine as part of the TÜV (think MOT)with attitude!). It is still in the car but I now have an up today's one. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, I often stay just into Germany (coming from Luxembourg) in a place just outside of Merzig.
ski holidays
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, andy, Re: Austrian Toll sticker - this won't be needed for a trip to Maria Alm.

The route from Munich is to follow the A99 ring road (follow the signs for Salzburg and don't let ViaMichelin or AA take you off the A99 into Munich!), then A8 towards Salzburg until the turning for Siegsdorf (B 306) then follow this road to Lofer. From Lofer to Saalfelden, then left at the roundabout in Saalfelden to Maria Alm. This way you don't touch the Austrian Autobahn, so you don't need a sticker.

For the trip as far as Munich, my personal choice is Dunkirk or Calais to Aachen, then Stuttgart and Munich (or take the Friday night ferry Harwich-Hook of Holland and then a 10-12 hour run via Rotterdam/Stuttgart/Munich).
snow report
quinton, Yes agreed, I'd go via Lofer for Maria Alm
latest report
SaraJ, So the easy answer would seem to be not to have sterile dressings in your first aid kit? Or do they (who?) prescribe what must be in your kit?
latest report
RobW, the contents is prescribedand you have to have the right stuff in there if you have a German registered car!

IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, quinton, the B305 is the only the road number as far as Schneizlreuth, then it is the B21 to Lofer which changes to the B178 at the Stein Pass (border crossing into Austria). An even better and faster route is to use the A93 (Inntal Autobahn) as far as Oberaudorf, cross the river Inn into Austria and follow the B172 to Kössen then switch to the L39 towards Lofer. Much quieter route with far fewer trucks to hold you up and it is rarely closed due to avalanche problems (The section of the B305 between Inzell and Schneizlreuth is often closed after heavy snow). Once in Lofer just follow the road to Saalfelden and then Maria Alm. Alternatively follow the route to St Johan in Tirol then drive to Fierberunn driving on through Leogang down to Saalfelden. This is the route taken by the trucks though!
ski holidays
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam,
Our trip, in Feb half term this year, started from Essex on the Friday morning with a early Tunnel, this enabled us to overnight in an Etap in Munich on the Friday evening. The routing advice from Samerberg Sue and Holidayloverxx, was invaluable. This timing actually enabled us to ski on the Saturday in Flachau. We didn't ski the final Saturday and did the return trip in one hit, sharing the driving, no stopovers, arriving back in Essex very early Sunday morning. Tiring but do-able.
The Etap in Munich south was 5 mins from the autobahn and there was a v good Italian restaurant near the motel.

You can buy the Austrian Vignette sticker over the internet before you go. It may save some time during your journey. We found the roads and services between Munich and Austria very busy on the Saturday morning, even though we left Munich early just after an early and quick breakfast.
Avoid buying anything on the motorway services between Munich and the Austrian border. We had refuelled in Luxembourg and hoped to make this the one fuel stop until Austria. However, we had to stop for some extra screen wash just after Munich and, not only did it add time to the journey, it would have been cheaper to use vintage champagne! We'd had foul weather and extremely low temperatures so we had gone through the car washer bottle and two full extra bottles (nearly 12 litres) before we got to Austria! There is a more detailed report about the drive in a thread somewhere but I cannot locate it at the moment.

We intend on repeating the same journey plan and stopovers next Feb, hopefully the weather for the drive may be a little kinder. If you think you need any more help, please don’t hesitate to ask, Good luck.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Also agree with coming off via Kössen; that's the way we have always gone for Zell am See.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I know you've told me this before but cant find the post, just wonder if you can remind me, apologies!...........I'm driving down to Arlberg in 2 weeks time, via Eurotunnel to Calais, and normally go across France, Belgium (Liege horrible roads etc) to Aachen and then down the Rhine, but think you've got a better route? Can you remind me of the Luxembourg route, and does it have any tolls? Cheers
snow report
Markymark29, no problems I even have it on Google maps as I recently sent someone a similar route down to Radstadt (take a bow Schuss in Boots Laughing )

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Dunkerque+ferry,+Dunkerque+ferry,+Rue+du+Petit+Denna,+59279+Loon-Plage,+France&daddr=50.57589,3.08314+to:Gappenau+16,+Radstadt+Austria&hl=en&geocode=FYqACgMdeXMhACGLGuUFlE1jrimF7hZ6wmDcRzGLGuUFlE1jrg%3BFRK6AwMdhAsvACk91IxuItTCRzFwB_aWPvEKEw%3BFSgK0wIdfzrNAClhzBVptixxRzE0Bf4S0LXd8A&aq=t&sll=49.196064,7.822266&sspn=10.988305,15.270996&vpsrc=0&t=h&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&via=1&ie=UTF8&z=6&dirflg=d

Sorry if I have now messed up the page size folks! Embarassed I do not know how to resize it so any help would be more than welcome but please don't beat me (I like it too much! Toofy Grin )

That route shows you the way down to Radstadt from Dunkirk but you can easily move the start and end points to where you want to start and finish up! Off the top of my head I would advise following it to ULM on the A8 then joining the A96 at Memmingen towards Lindau before crossing into Austria near Bregenz and picking up the A14 and Arlberg-Schnellstrasse.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Brilliant, thanks again........and no tolls in France?
ski holidays
Not on that short bit afaik.

At Ulm, satnav probably tries to make you "cut the corner" through Ulm - afaik there's roadworks on that bit, so I stick to A8 then A7 (then A96). No issues there at all a few weeks back.
Crossing into Austria at Bregenz had roadworks, but they were no issue (just contraflow tunnel).

edit: Stau website says Ulm "shortcut" has blocked lane, permanent tunnel construction, and diversion upto 30/11 (so could be handy by ski season Smile )

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 9-08-12 12:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Markymark29, none at all last time I drove but holidayloverxx drove back to the tunnel along it last weekend, so she will have the most up-to-date information! Schuss in Boots is using it tomorrow so she will also be able to confirm that the section of the A16/A25 section to Lille is still toll-free.

You will need a vignette though for Austria, even if you avoid the autobahn and just use the Arlberg-Schnellstrasse. The only way to avoid tolls from Bregenz to St Anton is to use the B roads (think A roads in the UK) through all the towns and villages and then drive over the Arlberg Pass instead of using the tunnel (well worth it any way if the weather is good and saves you the tunnel toll!)
latest report
Markymark29, correct, no tolls
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great, thanks all for your help......I know the raods once I get to Karlsruhe going south, done it many times, it was just the Namur to Karlsruhe bit I was unsure of. Sussed with the vignette also, and love that drive over the Arlberg Pass!

Incidentally going down to ski Schruns/ Montafon for a couple of days over New Year after Xmas in St Anton (bit of a road-trip), and will be staying in Dornbirn for a couple of nights, anyone know if the road from the main Bregenz - Innsbruck motorway junction at Bludenz up to Schruns is a decent road in winter? I've got winter tyres and chains etc, just wondered. Also parking, assume its free and near the main lift station, any tips/ insider knowledge on Schruns/ Montafon greatly appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
Markymark29, easy-peasy and loads of free parking in Schruns. Done it a few times and I always stay outside of the area in either Feldkirch or Dornbirn because it is way cheaper! Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Great, my reason too! Have stayed in Dornbirn before, its a good town.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy