Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The English and their big fat skis

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
Harry Flashman, Bit of heft can help. If you can really ski then probably no big deal but the concept that wider skis are only for deep powder is a bit dated, nothing finer than GSing through a corned up pitch when it comes to late March/April.

Fatbob - completely hear you. I tend to rent myself a nice heavy all moountain ski for slush - heft and carving!

That said, I'm not anti-fatty. They're only mid-fats, but the skis I'll be buying for next season are White Dot The Ones. Loved them when I tried them recently...

So my first skis will be chubsters! Just like my first...never mind. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just packed my bag for a few days in Kitzbuhel. I looked at my quiver. I looked at the snow report. I looked at the forecast.

I still put my DPS Wailer 112 RPs in the bag Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

You can do nice carved turns with good edge angles on fat skis too. I preferred my Mantras to my my SL skis for afternoon piste skiing on recent late season trips.

Ah the great Sideshow_Bob, still alive then? . . . Are you planning any late season trips this year?!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have mid fat skis at 98mm but what I have found made a difference was having a 3 degree side edge and a 0.75 base angle... makes them much more responsive on icy pistes. Don't notice any difference off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zammo, love the positive thinking, but you might be overdoing it a bit wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ww166no, hi mate, having a good season? Sadly looks like only the one trip for us (the off-piste bash), and at the wrong end of the year too given the contrast between conditions early doors and now. Need to save holiday time for the Autumn for some reason that I can't quite remember... Wink Hoping for a slightly less eventful trip than last time too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I still put my DPS Wailer 112 RPs in the bag

Those are great skis. Just demo'd a pair over here in the states. Had soft groomed snow that mushed up by afternoon. The wailers rocked it. I'd ski them on anything other than boilerplate ice (a too often occuring surface in east coast US this year!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, oh ye of little faith! Snowed overnight. Fresh tracks T -120 minutes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo,
That's probably the best solution for many Brit skiers, esp. those who are first venturing off into the offpiste. One pair of fat skis for when its soft and one "normal" size ski for the piste. Mounted up with quiver killers so you don't have to lug two sets of bindings about - job's a good un.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, I'd 100% agree with that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
zammo,
That's probably the best solution for many Brit skiers, esp. those who are first venturing off into the offpiste. One pair of fat skis for when its soft and one "normal" size ski for the piste. Mounted up with quiver killers so you don't have to lug two sets of bindings about - job's a good un.

That's me Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, me too, on lots of trips. But to avoid an expensive mistake make sure that if you pack your skis in to your skibag unmounted you actually take all of your QuiverKiller screws...

Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar,
Is that where the saying "well and truly screwed" comes from? wink

Just in case anyone reading this doesn't know what quiver killers are ....
http://quiverkiller.com/html/system.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
rob@rar,
Is that where the saying "well and truly screwed" comes from? wink
Ha ha! I was, well and truly, to the tune of more Yen than I care to remember to hire a pair of skis almost identical to the ones I carted to Niseko in the first place Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, no hardwear shops in Japan then? wink
snow report
rob@rar, oh dear. I'm beginning to think there's a book in you somewhere, 'Rob's Travel Tips' (a wide-ranging tome, taking in such useful advice as the need to label one's suntan cream and to ensure that one's skis can actually be used on the snow.)

Quick question, though: assuming you've had the holes screwed in the right place, is assembling the kit merely a question of tightening a few screws? I indeed didn't know what quiver killers were, but they sound like a terrific solution to the nuisance of multiple ski carriage, assuming the assembly is easy enough even for numpties like me.
snow conditions
Pedantica, if you're certified to turn a screwdriver, then you're good to go.

A bit of loctite can help, but isn't essential.
ski holidays
Pedantica, Quiver Killers are great I had 3 set of skis in my box when I went to St Anton with Bindings fitted you can only get one set in. Fitting the bindings back on the skis is a bit fidderly but not hard. But don't forget the screw as I don't think you will get them in resort

rob@rar, Embarassed
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Glen Charman, wow, sounds brilliant. It could be that I'll turn into a fully-paid up member of the 'all the gear, no idea' brigade sooner than I thought. wink
snow report
Mosha Marc, THEY DON’T RECOMMEND USING LOCTITE AS IT CAN DAMAGE THE PLASTIC THEY RECOMMEND QUIVER KILLERS VIBRA-TITE VC-3 SACHET
latest report
Pedantica, 'all the gear, no idea' It a great club to join but expensive wink
latest report
"All the tackle and no talent" is another great club to join.
snow report
Glen Charman, OK, OK, I can hear you! wink

Who's they, and what plastic??
snow report
Mosha Marc, Only repeating what Quiver killer say but there your skis Very Happy
latest report
Glen Charman, I'm ok then, mine are wood Cool wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
rob@rar, no hardwear shops in Japan then? wink
I did try a couple of ski shops but they didn't have anything suitable. I suppose I could have caught the bus to the nearby town (not much in Niseko itself in terms of general hardware stores) but that would have meant wasting all the perfect untracked powder we had to ski Happy So I put it down to experience and won't make that mistake again. In my defence, I ..., well, ... I have no defence. Just bloody stupidity Embarassed
latest report
i have heard a story of the QK coming out when unscrewing a loctited bolt... if you dont loctite the bolts i have heard the bolts can come loose.. not so sure it is as easy as just turning a screwdriver...
latest report
skimottaret, I've heard stories of alien abduction Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the QK bolts or screws come pre treated with Vibra tight, pretty sure Jon said it was good for about 3 swap overs before you needed to redo them with the supplied Vibra Tight.

We were going to get my lads skis all done with QR's for this season but only decided against it as he has a habit of riping the bindings off his skis, hes only managed it twice this season Shocked I am not sure what happens if you rip the whole QK out of the ski Puzzled
latest report
livetoski wrote:
I am not sure what happens if you rip the whole QK out of the ski Puzzled
You have to ask Dad for a new pair of skis.
latest report
Can you ski in area 51 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

You have to ask Dad for a new pair of skis.

Not entirely true. Binding freedom make a widget for this eventuality. Kind of like a bigger insert. You can also stick a dynaduke plate over the top. I managed to rip one out of my touring skis but courtesy of Jon things are now getting fixed.
snow report
rob@rar, Can I laugh about it now Smile should have switched the helmet cam on as you checked the same bag many times Wink
ski holidays
"Vibra-tite gel" sounds a bit "racey" if you know what I mean. wink

Quote:
No Mess, no waste, no drips.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-03-12 14:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Why don't they put a left-handed thread on the QK? Then it wouldn't run the risk of coming out when you try to loosen the bolt? (Obviously it would run such a risk if you over-tighten the bolt when doing it up, but I guess that's less likely?)
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, Can I laugh about it now Smile should have switched the helmet cam on as you checked the same bag many times Wink
Laughing wink
ski holidays
Is there anybody selling Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate in tubes in the UK as the little packets are a pain Puzzled
latest report
Just picked up three pairs of quiver-killer installed skis from Edge and Wax ready for the SOPiB tomorrow Smile Heeded the warnings from someone and also picked up a PZ2 screwdriver to go with the PZ3, now I can retire the 1996-era 920s on the Mantras and share the 916 Labs with my SL skis. I'm getting a bit old for a minimum DIN of 14.
snow report
I managed to unscrew one of my QK inserts but only because I had cut the machine screw slightly too long and it bottomed out in the insert rotating it, breaking the bond between it and the epoxy. Then, when I unscrewed to remove the bindings, the insert came out. After trimming the screw, no problems since, you only need a dab of loctite. I still use loctite and find the sachets of vibratite too messy and fiddly.

A left hand thread on the insert would mean that the installation method would need to change, possibly by providing the inserts with a slotted head for a screwdriver.
latest report
Quote:

DB,
Quote:

Is it really fun skiing 110mm + waisted skis on piste for the other 4 to 5 days? Can you do short turns on such a wide ski (anybody got any such clips)

Have not got any clips yet, but will have when I get back from the 3v's end of March, my lad is skiing on 125 under foot this season as his everyday ski, on piste as well. I am taking about 15 pairs of skis with me (all fat) so hopefuly will get some good video done with my new Contour of me and him, if I can keep up with him that is

quick clip my lad in yellow pants on his Flyswatters on piste short turns 125 underfoot, I am on the new Movement Jams with early rise tip

http://youtube.com/v/yNJ_IJlTYoA&context=C4d049f0ADvjVQa1PpcFMIkp1Hqql2b3opKxQbMQphSf3GHBuYRnQ=
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy