Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The English and their big fat skis

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, no snow off piste, just rocks and brown patches. It was 15º last week!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it was 15 deg fat skis would kick ass in the pm on piste when everyone else is bottling out cos "it's too slushy".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
If it was 15 deg fat skis would kick ass in the pm on piste when everyone else is bottling out cos "it's too slushy".

Perfect, I should suggest, for "all mountain" skis - rather than "big fat" skis? Same as pistes where there's a load of fresh stuff around.

I suggest that "all mountain" skis, far from being no good any anything are perfect for skiing soft pistes - which sit somewhere between "steep and deep" and "boiler plate".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Perfect, I should suggest, for "all mountain" skis - rather than "big fat" skis? Same as pistes where there's a load of fresh stuff around.

I suggest that "all mountain" skis, far from being no good any anything are perfect for skiing soft pistes - which sit somewhere between "steep and deep" and "boiler plate".

Most of these 'big fat skis' probably were just all mountain skis...

I don't understand why everyone's going on a bout Brits with big skis too, have you never noticed the Skandis???
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
I don't understand why everyone's going on a bout Brits with big skis too, have you never noticed the Skandis???

Yes but the Skandis can ski (runs for cover Toofy Grin )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Ha good point!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of Frenchies love a fatty too you know!

It's just the Italians are a bit stuck in the 90s. Still love the rear entry ; )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
kitenski, no snow off piste, just rocks and brown patches. It was 15º last week!

So really just pistes surrounded by brown earth up to the highest point?? I really find that hard to believe, I bet there was/is loads of off piste available.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, was in morzine and there were web snow avalanches absolutely everywhere.... only a bit of off piste on the north slopes seemed sensible...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Ha good point!

But I thought the point is that if you can ski you don't need big skis...

Puzzled

The biggest skis - in amongst some big skis that were being used - that I saw during that huge New Year dump in St Anton were being sported by a group speaking English in a bubble on the Galzigbahn. Three lads, about 20 years old, with skis that were like surf boards. From what we could guess from their language, there was an Austrian, a Scandanavian and a Dutchman. No Englishmen...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 5-03-12 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher, The difference was quite marked even on my skis which have decidedly not very sharp edges!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Ha good point!

But I thought the point is that if you can ski you don't need big skis...

Puzzled

No. Big skis let a good skier ski even better/harder (and in ways that just is not possible on skinny skis), but more importantly have a completely different feel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, disagree a wee bit...

Bigger skis let good skiers ski longer before their legs give out.

Arguably lines were a bit dofferent 20 years ago, maybe....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lines were the same 20 years ago... Just that fewer people were skiing them. The sport has developed though... Along with the people taking part in the sport. Mr plake et all opened up a whole new world.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More about how the lines are getting done though - most (all?) old offpiste videos or pictures I've seen involves lots of short radius jump turns. Even the old Plake stuff is nothing like big McConkey style smears and slarves. By 'better/harder' above I guess I mean 'faster/striaghter/higher.'
snow conditions
The istructor might have a point which is quite illustrated in some of the answers found on this thread : Scandinavians, Austrian, German seem to be the ones (what about the French and the Itlians and Slovenes) most often seen with fat skis.

They are the one most likely to take immediate advantage of the fresh dumps because of their geographic position and make the most of their fats. As for the Brits... maybe if they devote thenselves to ski-ing off piste every single time they are going to the Alps, every day all day... if they are lucky to find fresh snow during their average week or two max a year. Although some wide skis can come handy in the "soupe, trafolee, pourave and Co."

On the other hand I am aware some of us are quite keen to tramp the globe from Iran to Japan and Chile with our fats and regulars (and the rando ones thrown in for good measure and to the delight of most airlines) just for the fun of it.
snow report
Fats popularity started in US in the 80s, Chubb Volant, K2 big Kahuna being the most skiable, locals called them cheaters for powder days. I have skied fats eversince but we skied them at 190cm, most only available as 180 or 190.
ski holidays
shoogly,
Quote:

Mr plake et all opened up a whole new world

mmm I think a few of the French Extreme guys would turn in the graves, while I love Mr Plake the yanks were just copying what was going on in the Alps from years before.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
there were web snow avalanches everywhere

Seen a lot of those on snowheads this year
latest report
davidof, Laughing
snow report
There seems a lot of anti fat skis on here are they becoming the new snowboards. As I see it you do what makes you smile. If you want to ski fat ski on piste or skinny skis off piste and that make you smile and happy great. Very Happy
ski holidays
Glen Charman wrote:
There seems a lot of anti fat skis on here are they becoming the new snowboards.

No. You can still traverse or negotiate rocks on fat skis.
latest report
fatbob, Good point Toofy Grin
latest report
livetoski wrote:
shoogly,
Quote:

Mr plake et all opened up a whole new world

mmm I think a few of the French Extreme guys would turn in the graves, while I love Mr Plake the yanks were just copying what was going on in the Alps from years before.

Was waiting on that response Laughing

I realise that and know it well, but the pioneering french chamonix boys didn't bring it to the masses, whereas Blizzard of Ahhhs took it state side and the freeriding explosion took place there and then and suddenly it was "cool" to go ski Europe!

No doubting there were better more gnarly skiers in Chamonix and other Alpine resorts doing extreme stuff before Plake, Schmidt and Hattrup turned up, but the locals never went out seeking the attention that the Blizzard of Ahhhs lot did.

Now we have things like the FWT... the game has moved on and largely that's down to the marketing exploits of Plake et all and the team behind them.

In fact, I'd say Plake's hairstyle(s) has done more for marketing extreme skiing than the actual skiing. Normal folk would look at the haircut first and then the skiing second. Skiing "enthusiasts" would obviously look at the skiing first. I have vivid memories of the first time I saw Plake skiing some crazy mountain when I was in my early teens. Can remember the hair, can't remember the mountain.
snow conditions
This thread has inspired me to watch Blizzard of Ahhs.

It's awesome.

Thanks guys.
snow conditions
Glen Charman wrote:
There seems a lot of anti fat skis on here are they becoming the new snowboards. As I see it you do what makes you smile. If you want to ski fat ski on piste or skinny skis off piste and that make you smile and happy great. Very Happy

I don't think we are against the skis, we (I at least) just don't think it is a good idea to substitute lessons with fat skis. If you can afford both then great, if not working more on the piste technique will probably get you further in the long run. If you have decided against any lessons and just buy fat skis so you can survive the powder then end up skidding about on the piste most of the time that's fine, your choice; but people are going to find it amusing and make comments.

shoogly, Yes (in my opinion) Scot Schmidt was the better skier but Plake stood out more with his hair, antics, balls, multi-coloured fartbag and humour.
snow conditions
DB, I have regular coaching with Scott and Rob and my skiing has improved a hell of a lot over the late two years. I take the point your making about skidding around. But my Preacher can carve turn so well it shock me White Dot have got the design just right and at the end of the day I’ve had a great time on or off piste
snow report
Glen Charman,

I didn't realize Scot was giving lessons ..... wink

http://youtube.com/v/dooEVgLOybo

http://youtube.com/v/lfsohfxpNIk

http://youtube.com/v/07mJC0CZESk
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Notice just how many SX92 Equipe boots ("the magic shoe") in those vids? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
> There seems a lot of anti fat skis on here

Hmmm I haven't really seen that, one or two people who suggest they may not be the ideal tool for every job and that soem fat skiers may need a few lessons but by and large a "live and let live" attitude from the not fat fraternity. Seems to be the fatties that have got religion and want to convert people.

BTW I've got a pair of 100mm skis in the attic somewhere gathering dust. There are a couple of days of bottomless powder here a year where I could use them and more days of poor conditions where they would be useful but on the latter days I don't bother skiing off piste these days. My normal ski days are either powder or corn and I get more out of something in the 75-80mm on those days, better feel, more secure etc If you are on a weeks holiday and know that you will get either of these conditions and you could only take a fatty then that would be the weapon of choice.

I guess it is a little like making love to a beautiful woman[1], some folks like and feel more secure with the big fat squidgy feel beneath them, particularly if they are not on the svelt side themselves, me I like the taught handling and sheer chuckability of a more mid sized model.

[1] Obviously if you are a woman reading this thread my excuses for the analogy. Unless you swing that way.

Laughing Laughing Laughing - for the humor impaired
latest report
davidof, I like my women big Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

damn i hope my wife doesn't read that because she's a beautuful wee slender angel of a woman Blush
latest report
davidof, Dot., Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
davidof, so fat skis are like mopeds fun to ride but you don't want your friends to find out?
snow conditions
I think that in some parts of the ski community girth has become the new length, i.e.; the belief that the wider the ski, the better the skier you are. Just like in the old days, if your skis were less than 200cm you might as well go home. I am happy with about 115 across the middle, sort of Pro Rider or S7 width.

Ahhhh, Blizzard of Ahhhs = sex wee.

So, do you think Glen et al were wearing a transceiver and had a shovel and probe with them? ; )
latest report
Quote:

I think that in some parts of the ski community girth has become the new length, i.e.; the belief that the wider the ski, the better the skier you are.

Bit of both, or so the girls say wink
snow report
DB wrote:
Glen Charman,

I didn't realize Scot was ...

Scarily, I recognisedall of the stills fronting the segments and was eagerly anticipating 808 State at the beginning of License to Thrill....

Sad, sad, sad...
latest report
DB wrote:
Glen Charman,

I didn't realize Scot was ...

Scarily, I recognisedall of the stills fronting the segments and was eagerly anticipating 808 State at the beginning of License to Thrill....

Sad, sad, sad...
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Are you sure? I've always found that nice carved turns and good edge angle help to slice through the slush on piste, rather than surfing it? More energy efficient and stable, and seems to punch through the rough lumps easier...
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Are you sure? I've always found that nice carved turns and good edge angle help to slice through the slush on piste, rather than surfing it? More energy efficient and stable, and seems to punch through the rough lumps easier...

You can do nice carved turns with good edge angles on fat skis too. I preferred my Mantras to my my SL skis for afternoon piste skiing on recent late season trips.
latest report
Harry Flashman, Bit of heft can help. If you can really ski then probably no big deal but the concept that wider skis are only for deep powder is a bit dated, nothing finer than GSing through a corned up pitch when it comes to late March/April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy