Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you return to a resort?

Poster: A snowHead
patricksh wrote:
You mention about going back to Tignes. EK is a truly fantastic domaine and you will never get bored there. You only get to ski twice a year (same as me). Why waste either of those very precious weeks going somewhere not as good/ less convenient with more time queueing to get the skibus etc. I'm sure there are other great places but I'm not sure you'll find anywhere better than Tignes or Val d'Isere. I agonized over the Summer where I wanted to go this year, and we ended up going back to Tignes (3rd time) and les Arcs (second time). And no regrets

I can think of several places better than Tignes, but it depends on what you want - if you want several days worth of chest deep powder, you;re unlikely to find it in Tignes. Doesn't mean I don't like Tignes though, and we will very probably be there for the last week in March.

An alternative view is why get bored doing the same runs over and over and over, the views are the same all the time, why not try somewhere new?

thats the joy, there's pros and cons on both sides of the argument. I just thought it would be nice to see if I'm alone and it seems not Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always go back to the resorts I like the best!

In recent years I've been to La Plagne four times, and I'm about to head back to Val D'Isere for a fourth time - and would happily go again and again. Superb ski area - same for Tignes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't be too fussed if I was only allowed to ski the Arlberg for the rest of my life. Even after a season there I still have plenty left to do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoat of the dead wrote:
I try and go somewhere new each year. But in addition...

Been to Jackson Hole 9 x
Lake Loiuse 4 x
Wengen 4 x
Zermatt 3 x
Dolomites 3 x
And a bunch of places twice.

All in it together.

Glad this is not the showing off thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Since my first venture onto skis six years ago I have been to Tignes at least once a year and twice in three of the years. The other three years I went to Les Menuires - and I will go back to the 3V some time, maybe even next month, Val D'Isere, which is just like being in Tignes only pricier and with rubbish runs back to resort (yes, except the Face I know) - and Zermatt, to which I will only return if someone is paying me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would do 3V and Espace Killy again (have done paradiski twice now). Done France quite a bit, time for Austria Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bogusman, well, at Val d'Isere there's always the 'La Folie Douce' then bubble option. Maybe better than Le Face or Epaule du Charvet / Santons Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think the more you know a ski domain the more you get out of it, especially if you ski off-piste. Never visiting the same place twice seems to be the quickest way to miss the best bits that are available and not really get a good feel for the skiing that is available. Doesn't mean that you should only ski the same place for ever more, but don't be afraid of making several visits to the same place to really sample what it has to offer.

What I was thinking before a read it,,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Filthyphil30k, err... it is actually the subject of the thread... whether people do go back to the same place

got anything positive to add?

back in your drawer, sock-boy... Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i am a Montgenevre fan
first ahd a day there from Sauze in 1985 and loved it compared to the bad snow Sauze had at that time
then did a week there in a chalet in 1988 (before the tunnel) and enjoyed that
and finally after 22 years returned in 2010 to the super new obelique area of the resort and the new apartments ski in/out etc
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gryfon wrote:
I'm a confirmed Tignes addict Very Happy

me too

though only been twice, I would definitely go again in the future. I do like the idea of visiting somewhere new every year as with my holidays in general. Going back to Tignes gives me a warm tickly feeling...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, +1 re Arlberg. But also Verbier, Cham and EK are on my list for 2 yearly returns.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been to maybe 10 resorts. All of them I would love to visit again (maybe with the exception of L2A).
But as we go usually only once, maximum twice a year, there are too many places to see so we have not yet had the chance to go back.
Love to feeling of going to new place but at the same time I think we will get more from those places we know already.
Hope to start re-visiting soon, but for now we keep going to new resorts every time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whistler is the place I've been to the most - 10 times including a 3 month trip. This is followed by Morzine/Les Gets which I've been to 6 times now. I've also been to Val d'Isere/Tignes a few times and the Three Valleys around 2 or 3 times. I love Whistler and I love that I know people over there that I go back to see and ski with. Skiing for me is as much being with friends as it is being on the snow so I get the best of both when I go to Whistler. Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoat of the dead wrote:
Filthyphil30k, err... it is actually the subject of the thread... whether people do go back to the same place

got anything positive to add?

back in your drawer, sock-boy... Wink

He-he, quite right, I was just messing around.

I like returning to the 3 valleys, 5 times now, tignes 3 times and les gets 3 times.

I am looking at Les Arcs or st foy for next year, but given the snow might have to go back to tignes this year.
I am quite happy going back to places, weather and snow conditions give me the variation.

Sock boy??? Moi? Shocked
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I think the more you know a ski domain the more you get out of it, especially if you ski off-piste. Never visiting the same place twice seems to be the quickest way to miss the best bits that are available and not really get a good feel for the skiing that is available. Doesn't mean that you should only ski the same place for ever more, but don't be afraid of making several visits to the same place to really sample what it has to offer.

This.

Can take a while to pick up local knowledge particularly around where to go, slope security, hikes, north facing etc.
ski holidays
I think there's something to be said for going back to a place for the familiarity of it - if i haven't been to Tignes for a year or so i start almost feeling homesick for the place -whenever i start getting close to resort it feels if i'm coming home i feel so comfortable there - it even makes me a bit emotional -what a dafty eh?- the other place for me like that in the uk is Southport so i make sure i get up there at least one weekend a year.
ski holidays
If you just like racking up miles of piste I can see why people go to different places but for off piste skiing it takes almost 6 days to start get the place figured out and my then it's time to leave. There is also convenience: stuff like restaurants, where to buy food, alternative routes when lifts get shut etc. are all much easier if you have been somewhere before.
snow conditions
Atomic_Mick wrote:
I think there's something to be said for going back to a place for the familiarity of it - if i haven't been to Tignes for a year or so i start almost feeling homesick for the place -whenever i start getting close to resort it feels if i'm coming home i feel so comfortable there - it even makes me a bit emotional -what a dafty eh?- the other place for me like that in the uk is Southport so i make sure i get up there at least one weekend a year.

Not a "dafty" at all Atomic_Mick; you've just obviously been smitten with skiing, like most of us I guess. I have a similar feeling about a particular place in Zermatt. It's just a shame I can't justify the cost of it at the moment.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

^This.
ski holidays
We love 3V and as our sons are working there now go lots. I have now looked up my list of where we have been and will bore you with it... These are places we have stayed but have also skied many neighbouring resorts. We like going back to large resorts but keep trying small ones on the way. Popped into Les Houches for a couple of hours last Saturday after the VB and I can't think I will ever have the need to return.
3V 25
Espace Killy 13
Courmayeur (school ski trips with Interski) 9
Portes de Soleil 5
Steamboat 5
Les Arcs 4
Flaine 3
Milky Way 3
Alpe d'Huez 3
Deux Alpes 3
Megeve 3
Zermatt 2
Verbier 2
Saas Fee 2
St Anton 2
Ziller valley 2
Whistler 2
Banff/Lake Louise 2
and a week each to Vail, Serre Chevalier, Maurienne valley, Praz de Lys, Dolomites, La Sauze in southern France, Norway, Sweden, Checkia, a week's tour of Austria with a different resort each day and various small German resorts in Bavaria.
snow conditions
Another Tignes Addict here. It would be very diificult to take myself anywhere else.

Whilst I know it like the back of my hand, it's different every day, let alone every trip.

And that is without the off piste.

Plus, I would like to be buried under Double M.
ski holidays
I go to Schladming every year now as I can do a short break so cheap and easy for such a quality resort area.
I agree the more you go the better it is.
I then do other trips to new resorts each year aswell........mainly Austria,which I prefer.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I wouldn't be too fussed if I was only allowed to ski the Arlberg for the rest of my life. Even after a season there I still have plenty left to do.

Totally! Been to St Anton for about a month last season, awesome place! Personally I'm pretty set on Mayrhofen myself, been here for the past four seasons now and still finding new zones up and down the valley, Innsbruck is a sick city aswell!
snow conditions
I have been to Megeve 7 times, as I go on my own the set up with the company I go with suits me, as it's a catered chalet and they do a ski lesson each day, however I'm not sure I want to go with them again for a variety of reasons, so am wondering what to do next season as I'm not keen going to a hotel on my own and worry about having to ski on my own all day every day, no one else in my family skies and my OH and I rarely go away together as we've got so many pets it's hard finding someone trustworthy and capable to look after them all.

When I have gone away with my OH we've been to Switzerland as he believes that's where you go to ski, we went to Kandersteg and Muerren, I would certainly love to go back to Muerren, there was so much that I didnt ski and if I went with him again it was very good for a non skier, and there were lots of walks so he could get up the mountain to have a drink with me.
ski holidays
i have been back to Montgenevre twice since a day there in 1985, once in 1988 and in 2010, hope to go again in year or 2
Livigno was good but may not return as i think i am a ski as close to door as poss man, wasn't keen on the truding about and free bus etc
snow report
19 ski trips, 9 destinations. So call that about half new destination / half return visit.

Had been meaning to do something different the last 2 years, but then I figured I can do something different AND return to somewhere I like (that is so large that there is still more to do and explore).
ski holidays
The only place I have been to more than once is Kitzbuhel and I'd glady go there again. Places I have been to and don't really want to return to are La Plagne, Pas De La Casa, Tignes, 3V, La Thuile. Places I have been and wouldn't mind returning to are Courmayeur, Val D'Isère, SkiWelt, Cervinia plus I really want to return to Ski Amadé. I'm still in the mindset of wanting to try as many different places as possible (within Europe that is, not fussed about crossing the pond) but it's nice to have a few favorites to return to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I began skiing, it was always Austria, usually the Ziller Valley. Then it was Italy, usually a different resort each time, and there was one trip to Bulgaria (one was enough.....), plus Andorra twice (the latter of those was because it was a very good late deal, but I really CBA with the transfers now).

For the past 6 or 7 years it's been France, with La Tania and St Gervais at the top of the list. I would go to either place again, without hesitation, as we haven't scratched the surface of the available skiing.

lucylockett, in your circumstances, perhaps one of the SH bashes would be a good option? Lots of company, plenty of people who are travelling alone, and always someone to ski with.
snow conditions
I've been returning to the same resort for the last 6 years. For many years beforehand I used to go to different places, including a few repeat visits to certain resorts, but eventually found somewhere I really liked and bought a place out there.
snow report
I've been skiing seven years and been to Whistler three times, 3V twice, Val d'Isere once and Les Arcs once. More than half of my 90 or so days have been in Whistler, and I definitely haven't had my fill. I'm certainly one of the 'once you've done it the Canadian way there's no going back' converts.

Next year we will probably try somewhere new, probably in France - have heard good things about some of the smaller, quieter resorts.

I wouldn't rush back to the Espace Killy, personally. We did two weeks with great snow - and in a mixed ability group (level 5-9) none of us particularly liked it. Val's a nice village and Tignes has the best slopes, but we all found it a bit dull. Really weird as it looks great on paper and most people rave about it.
snow conditions
La Tzoumaz has recently been the place of choice for us. Easy link into the Verbier sector, much quieter village and we get free accommodation (which is the main draw!) No hotels, no chavs, and an easy transfer from Geneva.

The return to the village down the Vallon d'Arby is an excellent run.
snow report
La Tzoumaz has recently been the place of choice for us. Easy link into the Verbier sector, much quieter village and we get free accommodation (which is the main draw!) No hotels, no chavs, and an easy transfer from Geneva.

The return to the village down the Vallon d'Arby is an excellent run.
ski holidays
I've done about 40 ski trips (although a fair few of them have been 3 or 4 day trips)

For many years my main ski group liked to travel round and visit a different resort each time; however we've now reached the point where most of the big name resorts in Europe have been visted at least once. The last resort on my tick list, Monte Rosa, was visited in February.

There's still a lot of places I'd like to go to that I haven't visited, but they tend to be smaller places that are unsuitable for a weeks skiing for a mixed ability group. Engelberg springs to mind.

But, as I get more interested in off piste skiing I'm becoming increasingly aware that a weeks' hard skiing at a major resort gives only a superficial understanding. By the end of a week I'll know my way round the piste map, have some understanding of the best morning/afternooon slopes and will have explored the more obvious 'sort of off piste' routes, eg the dotted line itineries / the skiable lft lines/ the obvious off piste mogul fields. The limited amount of guided skiing I've done has opened my eyes to the enormous off piste possibilities available in just about any resort. I'm looking forward to developing a far better understanding of the skiing possibilities in places like Verbier, St Anton and Tignes.

For the record my most visited resort is Chamonix with 6 trips, all of them 2 or 3 day visits.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Having tried lots of resorts in France, Austria, Switzerland & Canada, now return to Wengen every winter.

The cost of the ChF put me off this year - but I like Wengen so much I may well go back again next year even if the exchange rate does remain poor.
snow conditions
The first place we ever went was Orcieres about 1988 and we repeated that the next year. Since then, until we bought a place in Les Carroz, the only place I've been twice for a week is Meribel and then Le Mont-Dore just for 2 short visits based on being en route to somewhere else.
snow report
Serre Che has been a hit for us - we've been there every year for the last 16 years - though sometimes those have been summer trips.

Also have repeated going to 3V, to Mottaret and to Les Arcs.

High and French seem to be the deciders for us [I know SC not high, but keeps good snow].

Never bored yet and still not skied all areas for sure.
ski holidays
I'm possibly a bad person to ask.... just planning my next trip to Val D'Isere.... 5th just for this season! I think I may be addicted to the place - is there a support group I can join?
ski holidays
This thread has turned into a boast re who has skiied the most and most places

I think what is the question here is if you have skiied 5-10 times, but in less than half a dozen places, and there are 1 or 2 places you like, then should you just keep going back for more of what you know, or take the plunge elsewhere but risk it might not be such a good holiday. And for most of us that means another year before we get to put it right.

I struggle with exactly this question myself. I know if I go to Tignes for a 4th time it will be fab, and I will progress with OP runs I am familiar with. But can I say I truly know what I like if I have never been to St Anton or Whistler? I am sure these are great resorts but I know from reading reviews there are some things I wouldn't like there that are not a problem in Tignes. But should that stop me?

Would be great to here from people with less impressive experience...
snow report
patricksh, That's not really a question you can answer. New places have a risk associated i.e. you may or may not enjoy the place for whatever reason. Whereas places you are familiar with are a safe bet. So depends on whether you enjoy new experiences and are prepared to risk the occasional disappointment or prefer the reassurance of a known quantity. Also depends to some extent on how often you ski. For example if I skied for the whole season, I'd want to visit several resorts along the way, but I'm happy skiing a single resort I really enjoy for at least a month each year - which is what I generally do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy