Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peak Leaders 10 week Snowboard Instuctor's Course. Comment Please.

Poster: A snowHead
(logged in on my step Dad's account)
Hi I'm 20 years old and am looking into doing a 'Peak Leaders' 10 week snowboard instructor course in Verbier, hopefully I will end up with a BASI level 1 and 2. I was wondering how well recognised this qualification is and will I need any others in order to teach. I was also wondering if any one had any experience with this company.
Any infomation would be really helpful.
Thanks
Milli x
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are a reasonable boarder already the course is probably very expensive for what it is (although if dad is paying maybe you don't care too much...)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea about the quality of the course but a BASI 2 qualification should qualify you for a job most places in Europe but not France I'd guess. Maybe a qualified BASi snowboard instructor can comment??

BASI will also be able to answer your question about scope and validity if you contact them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno,
Thanks for your reply. What are your comments based on, do you have any experinence of this company and how would you reccommend gaining my BASI 2?
Thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the comment is not aimed at the company in particular. if you are doing a season anyway, why not to the BASI 1 at the start (or in a fridge before you even leave) and the BASI 2 at the end? in between do some lessons for the 2 but get loads of boarding in for yourself.

the main benefit of these gap courses is if you want everything organised for you and it all to be very structured and you are willing to pay for it. nothing wrong with that but I worry sometimes that there is an assumption that a gap course is the only way to get a badge
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a four week Peak Leaders course in St Anton in 2008/09, it worked out very well for me. Qualified in time to work the whole season (with the job sorted by Peak Leaders in the same resort), and I've used the qualification to teach a few weeks a year since - as have quite a few of the friends I was on the course with. That's the Austrian Anwaerter qualification btw, don't know how useful it would be outside Austria. At the time I thought it was pretty good value - £3250 for four weeks of accommodation, (good) meals 6 days a week, lift pass, training with mountain guides, a weeks worth of German lessons, and the qualification course fees, although now it seems to have gone up to over £4000... If you can ski reasonably well, you definitely do not need to do a 10 week course. TBH, most of us could have just rocked up and passed the Anwaerter (hardest part was the German written test), and I assume that's the same with BASI 1 and maybe 2, but I did get a lot out of course, skied some fantastic offpiste, and REALLY improved my skiing - I think I'd do it the same way again if back in that position.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, read all about the BASI L1 and L2 courses online at the BASI site, then decide wether you are good enough to pass without the 10 week course or not.....

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/snowboard.aspx
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski, You'll find that a lot of people on these boards can be pretty negative about "Gap" courses. (although the above is all pretty reasonable Shocked ) As Arno points out it is a mistake to think that they are the only way to qualify. In fact anyone can easily book onto a BASI 1 then BASI 2 course. Most competent boarders should pass the level 1 and on that course you will receive feedback on what you need to improve for your level 2. All the course are coaching as well as assesment so don't feel you need to be "at the level" on day one of your level 2.

However!!!

I think there is a clear place for courses like Peak Leaders. I did their Verbier course on skis in 2007 and worked 4 seasons there on the back of it. I paid for it myself and still feel I got value for money when you add up the accomodation, food, coaching, lift pass etc. The BIG unquantifiable benefit is the instant access to a network of people if you've not worked in a ski resort before. I think people within the industry forget or dont realise how impenetrable the "system" is to a newbie.

Sure, maybe you have the self discipline to go off and practice your central theme (beginners stuff). maybe you'll fall in with loads of snowboard instructors who'll give you great tips. Maybe you have the self-awareness to realise when you are executing drills well...... etc etc. Personally I really benefited from improving my skiing in an environment where I had to get up regardless of hangover/crap snow/whiteout. I knew the people in the school who would give me snippets of advice during freesking together. I benefited from a coach saying "your off-piste is fine but you WILL fail if you don't go and work on your snow-plow"

It's not for everyone but sit down, work out what you get for your money, compare it to eg doing a season/BASI 1/2 independently.

If you decide to do a Gap course then I can heartily recommend the Verbier Peak Leaders one! It was bloody great fun too. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski, most of the comments here are made by people who have done a SKI gap course. There are far fewer jobs for snowboard instructors in the alps, and a newly qualified snowboard L2 will categorically not be offered a job in verbier by any of the snowsport schools bar perhaps les elfes, who are atrocious employers by all accounts. Elsewhere in the alps I have no idea. However if you had both your L2 skiing and boarding then you would be an attractive proposition to the schools. Speaking French would also help you to stand out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gilo, Many thanks for your reply. I am vearing towards PL in Verbier.
Milli. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you were ever thinking of teaching in Austria, then my understanding is that BASI 1 and 2 is not sufficient; you also need the Austrian Anwärter qualification (although a couple of friends who had passed BASI 1 and 2 in Switzerland but then failed some of the written part of the Austrian exam were able to teach here until they could resit and finally qualify as Anwärter).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BASI 1 isn't sufficient in Austria (it's not a mountain qualification), but BASI L2 should be to work in a ski school. Many BASI instructors working there will also do the Anwarter in addition.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri wrote:
If you were ever thinking of teaching in Austria, then my understanding is that BASI 1 and 2 is not sufficient; you also need the Austrian Anwärter qualification (although a couple of friends who had passed BASI 1 and 2 in Switzerland but then failed some of the written part of the Austrian exam were able to teach here until they could resit and finally qualify as Anwärter).

I thought this, although there were two guys working in Saalbach with BASI 2 over Christmas. Pretty sure you have to have some sort of interview or test to get 'equivalence' though - details are somewhere on the BASI website.

Having the Anwaerter does make things MUCH easier though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Pretty sure you have to have some sort of interview or test to get 'equivalence' though - details are somewhere on the BASI website

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Step%20by%20step%20procedure%20for%20recognition%20of%20BASI%20qualification%20in%20the%20Tirol3.pdf

These are the details for the Tirol - written tests in German.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski, I would have to admit that skifluff, has pointed out something I meant to say, but forgot. There are far fewer jobs for snowboard instructors than skiers in Verbier (and I suspect elsewhere). Having seen 5 or 6 groups of snowboarders come through I can only think of 3 individuals that got SOME work and only 1 who got enough and I think he had prior connections that helped.....
snow report
Quote:

I did a four week Peak Leaders course in St Anton in 2008/09, it worked out very well for me. Qualified in time to work the whole season (with the job sorted by Peak Leaders in the same resort), and I've used the qualification to teach a few weeks a year since - as have quite a few of the friends I was on the course with. That's the Austrian Anwaerter qualification btw, don't know how useful it would be outside Austria. At the time I thought it was pretty good value - £3250 for four weeks of accommodation, (good) meals 6 days a week, lift pass, training with mountain guides, a weeks worth of German lessons, and the qualification course fees, although now it seems to have gone up to over £4000... If you can ski reasonably well, you definitely do not need to do a 10 week course. TBH, most of us could have just rocked up and passed the Anwaerter (hardest part was the German written test), and I assume that's the same with BASI 1 and maybe 2, but I did get a lot out of course, skied some fantastic offpiste, and REALLY improved my skiing - I think I'd do it the same way again if back in that position.

Course Cost
€386
http://www.sbssv.at/en/instruction/instructor-level-1/

€450 full board accommodation (3* or above) 9 nights

€249 German Course designed specifically for Anwaerter
http://www.sbssv.at/download.php?f=5dbfd34d3589e1325a6a9659c0f3379d

TOTAL = €1085 to be an instructor (on snow and everything!!) in Austria (also accepted in Switzerland and Germany and I've heard accross the ponds too)

You must have 'sponsorship' to attend the course though, not hard... just contact a big school in a very Englishy area (Saalbach, Hinterglemm is a good one) and then they put you forward as a student.

This is the blog I wrtoe about it last spring:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76074
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy