Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megaclan on the piste - holiday videos, Now with VT 2012

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I've finally got to grips with Vimeo and discovered the timelag between uploading the things and being able to view them.

I've looked at the footage and have no hesitation in posting the kids Very Happy . I am more disappointed about how I look. I thought I was going faster, the arms/shoulders are all to pot, I'm doing 'gorilla' turns, I'm not facing down the hill and I just don't look good Sad However, having gone to the trouble to get the footage I might as well do something with it - so here it is warts and all - any feedback appreciated.

First of here are the megakids I took this one, and it is a prime example of where not to stand to video folks skiing down the hill - it's real 'blink and you miss it' stuff. My son (9) Minimum_2 is in the blue top and bottoms and black helmet, my daughter (12) Minimum_1 is red jacket, black bottoms and white helmet. I think they are doing this gates thing quite well given that they haven't skied any gates for about 3 years and then only experimented with them. I am sure they would like any comments - I love the way Minimum_2 hurtles around that top gate snowHead Cool

http://vimeo.com/37622705

Then here is me - this year I'm dark grey jacket, black bottoms and white helmet

http://vimeo.com/37624656

Then we have two of several of us skiing - in each clip Fraser P followed by Minimum_2 and then me. It's probably better not to critique FraserP as he doesn't know he is being posted and his knee was playing up that week - and despite that he still looks miles better than me Evil or Very Mad Mad . In my support I am going to say that we were skiing deep fresh snow that was getting a little churned up and it required a different technique to the dancing on ice thing that we did on holiday last year!

http://vimeo.com/37625432
http://vimeo.com/37628286

VT 2012 is on page 3

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-04-12 16:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum - I'd say you all need to work on turn shape... at the moment you tend to hoik the skis around and then hang on in a traverse... and repeat...

The Minimums do better skiing the course. Minimum 1 takes an extra wide route - she could make the apex of her turns a little closer to the gates.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A ski instuctor told us that a family who skiis together stays together... are you prepared for this? Our children (and now grandchildren) are still sking with us. It becomes expensive!
I like your ski style, just like mine Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
margaret, LOL - it's already expensive - I'm just waiting for the hit that will be having to buy adult priced lift tickets when they get a bit older!

little tiger, I must admit I was disappointed with what I was doing when I saw the video, I had thought that I was making a better turn shape these days, but it would appear not. Though what I am sure of is that I can make fairly safe progress down much steeper slopes these days than I used to. The trouble is as a holiday skier there is not a huge amount of skiing done in a year to be able to improve overall style from one year to the next.

I still want to go through Minimum_2's footage from when he was wearing his Kodak playsport and see if he has caught me doing anything better than what I post above - though on the stength of what I've already posted I don't think the odds will be in my favour!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
Then here is me
Pole plants...?

wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't worry about your speed. You look safe and in control, which is probably more than a lot of these guys who've clocked up 1,000 kph on their gps! I'd blame the snow. It's just not smooth enough Laughing .

(rob@rar does have a point, though ......)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, somehow I thought you'd spot that Laughing

Strangely in our lesson when we did the old style turns he taught them as pole, shoulders, push the heels and then every time I made the pole plant. However, it seemed counter productive as I then seemed to start reaching for the plant at the wrong time when I experimented after the lesson and this also seemed to skewer the shoulder orientation so I was then left in two minds about whether pole plants were good for me or not.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
Strangely in our lesson when we did the old style turns he taught them as pole, shoulders, push the heels and then every time I made the pole plant.
For your skiing I think that's terrible advice, compounding the weaknesses you have in your technique. Sorry!

Obviously you've made big changes and improvements to your skiing side I first saw (video of) you, but more changes are required if you are to ski as well as you would like to (although that can be said for just about all of us, me included). A pole plant isn't a magic solution which will suddenly turn you into a pro skier, but a good pole plant can help with timing (and maybe help you change your turn shape) as well as helping to stabilise your upper body. Worth you persevering with...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, the trouble is I don't ski often enough to make huge changes quickly. Are there a couple of glaring weaknesses that I should focus on first before trying to fix others, or is it one huge 'compound error'. Do I do anything that is positive? As a linked aside I did notice that as the slopes became steeper and more churned/mounded that my stance became wider and I'm fairly certain that this isn't a good thing, but I did wonder why it happened and was there something fundamental going on that I should be aware of.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I'm just about to drive to Wales, but will give you a fuller answer as best I can later (probably tomorrow). In the meantime I'm sure lots of other people will chip in with sensible comments. Very quickly, the two things I would work on if I was teaching you would be to make more effective flexion and extension movements, and use these to influence the size and shape of your turns. This would be in conjunction with being more skilful in rotating/twisting your skis (more control by twisting your legs without needing the rest of your body to be too closely involved). I don't think there are any major faults with your skiing, just stuff that you can do better to become more skilful. Although please don't work on pushing your heels out as that would very quickly become a bad habit, IMO.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, wot LT said. Also, I think an instructor would get you to do some exercises with exaggerated vertical movement (which will help with a more continuous turn), because at the moment you're more or less static.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, well done for having the courage to post videos of your skiing.
I've just looked back at some video that I took of you at EoSB 2008 - great progress Very Happy
Back then you were quite "hunched" and not paralleling any turns, your legs were quite wide apart (and you were slower).
I tired to upload it to the Snow Media ZOne but it says "file too big" rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freddie Paellahead, Many thanks Very Happy I tried the snow media zone route, but also got the same message - decided I didn't like the fact that YouTube had got into bed with Google and picked up on a tip to try Vimeo - hence the Vimeo source above, but it was time consuming and you had to wait half hour or so before it ran its final conversion on the uploaded file.

However, regardless of whether we can see it or not it is good to know that you think there is an improvement - I remember you taking that footage - IIRC it was coming down the Niverolle blue.

{Memories} Heaven knows how you all got me down that run on that last day quick enough to get the last Cairn bubble before the bus left after the cable car got stuck Very Happy {/memories}

The thing is that I have this vision of what I would like to look like when I ski and at the moment I'm no-where near. A bit of video footage tends to bring home that brutal reality which a pair of rose tinted goggles seems to gloss over. However, I do think my courage is improving and I seem to have developed enough skill (though much is still brute force) to get down things that I would have previously baulked at. Though I still bottled the Wagrain black on holiday this year - I am told its not too bad, but from a distance it looked mogulled and those I have less skill at. However, this year I haven't turned down a red and some of those def. had black tendancies in places - so my courage is improving if not my skill and as you know with me my biggest battle is getting my head around it - once I've done that I then find I am in a position to try to apply new skills. In fact although not as steep as some that footage is taken on a slope that I swear was steeper than it appears in the video - or perhaps its just those googles again! Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just looked at that second embed of me again - there is a bit of traverse between them rather than continuous turns, but I swear they look a bit more S like than I have achieved in the past. There is the odd one of two that do actually seem better than the others.

laundryman you are referring to the sink down at the end of the turn and the 'up' that unweights the skis at the start of the turn - yes? Yes, it is something that I don't have - why does that particularly help the turn shape please?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, yes (though when exactly weighting and unweighting occurs as you move up and down occurs requires quite a bit of thought!).

Physics aside, the up/down motion is another factor that helps with overall rhythm. It should be continuous (i.e. you should only be still instantaneously, when you are maximally flexed and maximally extended).

Now for a bit of physics: as your centre of mass accelerates upwards from your fully flexed position, your apparent weight increases (try it on the bathroom scales), causing an increased reaction through your skis, which provides the centripetal force that will pull you round your carved turn. Provided you get onto your new edges at the top of the turn, this will set you up for a nice, smooth, controlled turn (you will really feel that control); as opposed to a nervous rotation of the skis as quickly as possible through the fall line, or an urgent side-slipping brake at the end of the turn.
latest report
laundryman, Good explanation.
snow report
Megamum, well done for sorting out how to post the videos (let alone how to ski). I'll leave comments on the videos to others, but I do sympathise with your "one week a year" issue. When I started feeling I was never going to improve in one week a year we wondered about renting a place for the winter, and renting out our house in the UK to pay for it. In the end we ended up buying a place in the Alps (and converting part of our our UK house into a studio/bedsit to pay for it). I do think that except for the athletically gifted few, skiing more than a week a year is pretty important to improve - certainly was for me, and there was no way I have afforded to do that when the kids were little.

SO - the kids are having a ball and becoming confident and versatile, you are improving steadily; what's not to like? snowHead
latest report
cad99uk, it is indeed - makes complete sense that does, thank you laundryman, Very Happy

Perhaps this is the sort of refinement I ought to start aiming at. I actually think I'm finding the edges of the skis these days. Even watching these videos I can see where I am succeeding in getting the skis from edge to edge. Perhaps full control is now within my grasp at some point in the future. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
pam w, The kids are having an absolute 'ball' with it. They really progressed on their new longer race type skis that we got for this year (replaced shorter twin tips) last years instructor said that they would benefit from that type of ski and he was correct. They are still developing the skills that come with increased bodily strength, height and weight, but have no fear, blacks, moguls, off piste, small park jumps, through the trees (much of these with an instructor) and I should think will be skiing demons one day - they already talk about 'doing a season' when they are older!

We have been lucky to have got in two weeks for each of the last two years, but I can't see that happening this year. The FBash seems unlikely this year so I have already ploughed spare funds into our Austrian trip and made sure that was a good one as I think it will be our only trip this year Sad If it is maybe I should have a few sessions at HH this year instead - IO seem convinced that they can help with skills even within the limited confines of the indoor slope and I guess its better than nothing. Somehow I don't fancy the plastic as an alternative. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

If it is maybe I should have a few sessions at HH this year instead - IO seem convinced that they can help with skills even within the limited confines of the indoor slope

absolutely - no question that you can improve vastly with the right emphasis/instruction. I'd be there more often if it wasn't so far - and therefore expensive.
latest report
Megamum,

Braver than me for posting those ... Minimums, probably more skillful than me. Must work harder at those drills!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
the trouble is I don't ski often enough to make huge changes quickly.

Megamum - I'm just starting to learn some cross country(backcountry skis) and classic nordic track. Remember that my friends and brothers friends were instructors in this stuff and sent me to learn alpine due to my balance issues. For me balance on skinny skis is really really hard.

I sympathise with the limited time to learn part but I will say this. While one week a year may be less than ideal learning situation you will probably not improve a lot without some effort to do so. (Unless you are an athletic type like Fastman.) Surely one week of trying is better than no weeks of trying?

I'm not suggesting you spend all day in lessons or doing drills. Simply that you devote a part of your day to focusing on learning new skills. Who knows you may find it makes the skiing part easier and it may be easier than you think to incorporate into your skiing. The thing is until you try it you will not know.

I'm currently spending a little time at the start of my nordic track time just doing some simple drills. Ideal? Probably not - but I tried a lesson and the instructor was not for me. May try some elsewhere if I get a chance. Once I head out to ski the trails I just try to get some of the drill feeling into my skiing, or focus on how the drill movment went etc. I think you could possibly do similar.

You really could do with just some work on turn shape - the family I skied with recently all progressed massively once they improved their turn shape and edging skills (yes play with sideslips and spins - the minis will find it fun). Mum in particular went from green/reluctant blue run skier to skiing blacks. So did the kids.
ski holidays
Megamum, you are obviously passionate about skiing. As a Mum your are understandibly concerned about how the Megaclan are progressing. However, if you do not consider your own development then the minimums will soon surpass you. Of course you should do whatever you can to aid their development, but it will be much more fun for you, and for them, if you are developing your skills in parallel with them.
snow report
sloop,
Quote:

if you do not consider your own development then the minimums will soon surpass you

They will whatever she does. I don't think there's ever been a parent on here, whatever their level of competence, who hasn't complained affectionately about being out-skied by their kids.
snow conditions
Megamum,
Quote:

IO seem convinced that they can help with skills even within the limited confines of the indoor slope
They definitely can. There's many here who will attest to that, not just me. And there are videos of us all to prove it, not to mention quite a few people who are on the BASI path now, having honed their skills in IOS clinics first.
snow conditions
Hi Megamum. If I was working with you the first thing I'd address would be turn shape. You're currently doing an aggressively pivoted Z turn > long traverse > Aggressively pivoted Z turn > long traverse > Aggressively pivoted Z turn > long traverse > repeat to infinity. You need to learn to shed the pivot, be patient during the top 1/2 of of the turn and let the skis change direction gradually. Change the Z shape to a C shape. Then eliminate the traverse. The end of one turn should be immediately followed by the start of the new turn. Strive for a path down the hill that resembles: C turn left > C turn right >C turn left > C turn right. Not a path of: C turn left > traverse > C turn right > traverse > C turn turn left > C turn right.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 1-03-12 3:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:

You really could do with just some work on turn shape - the family I skied with recently all progressed massively once they improved their turn shape and edging skills (yes play with sideslips and spins - the minis will find it fun). Mum in particular went from green/reluctant blue run skier to skiing blacks. So did the kids.

Little Tiger has understated the improvements these three kids she worked with made. Humility I suppose. She took them from being terrified in wedge turns on the gentlest green trail you've ever seen, to all three of them qualifying for the NASTAR National Championships. Turn shape training will take a person far.
ski holidays
Well only two of them were scared... and only one I had to have hang onto my poles the whole trip down...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
Megamum,
Quote:

IO seem convinced that they can help with skills even within the limited confines of the indoor slope
They definitely can. There's many here who will attest to that, not just me.

Best skiing lesson I ever had. Fact.
ski holidays
Megamum, kids seem to be loving it. In order that you can ski with then for a few more years can I suggest a formula that worked for me: Each year you must have 4x the lessons and skiing days that the kids have.
snow report
Sell the kids. This has two benefits: you can use the money to buy more ski lessons; and you need never fear being shown up by the little ones out skiing you.

There'd probably be some disadvantages as well, I guess.
latest report
Quote:

There'd probably be some disadvantages as well, I guess

Having trouble thinking of one.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Sell the kids. This has two benefits: you can use the money to buy more ski lessons; and you need never fear being shown up by the little ones out skiing you.

Now, now, I'm sure MM skis better than her goats. Smile
ski holidays
laundryman, Laughing
snow report
Glad to see you all had a great time, I have given up worrying what I look like, I just love it Very Happy did you enjoy the Austrian gastronomy? wheres the trip report? is minimum1 at WDF now? I forgot to ask Tom,
latest report
Quote:

I have given up worrying what I look like

I don't "worry what I look like" but I do "worry what I ski like" - which means working at it. I think MM might be confusing the two. wink

little tiger, interested to hear about your skinny track skis - I started doing exactly the same, a few weeks ago, and it's difficult, isn't it? The slightest incline is worrying!

Megamum - there's a lot of advice on other threads about balance work you can do - anywhere. Whilst cleaning teeth, washing up, waiting for the kettle to boil (even, in one case, doing the ironing Shocked )

Takes no time, needs no equipment, costs no money. Makes a big difference.
snow report
feefee, We really enjoyed the Austian food - the trip report is here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86524 Minimum_1 didn't go to WDF she went to Maldon where she is flying Very Happy

pam w, LOL - Oh, its def. all the gear and very little idea with me Laughing . OK, I'd like be able to ski as well as my gear suggests I can wink I had noted the other threads about balance and when I remember I have already started standing on my leg when doing my teeth.

So I think from above advice its losing the traverse and completely linking the turns that I need to aim at rob@rar, if I get over to IO over the year perhaps you will be able to help me make some more progress - I might treat myself to some sessions this summer. Very Happy
ski holidays
Glad shes settled well, Tom is loving it too. Will have a read, we're off to Austria for 5 days next week, no kids!!
snow report
Megamum - losing the traverse is part of it but you really need to learn how to control your turn shape and vary it at will to give you the control you seek.

Check the turn shape and skid angle links I posted in the other thread for you. (From the glossary) This will give you the control without the need to shove the skis around or shove on them.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have given up worrying what I look like

I don't "worry what I look like" but I do "worry what I ski like" - which means working at it. I think MM might be confusing the two. wink

little tiger, interested to hear about your skinny track skis - I started doing exactly the same, a few weeks ago, and it's difficult, isn't it? The slightest incline is worrying!

Megamum - there's a lot of advice on other threads about balance work you can do - anywhere. Whilst cleaning teeth, washing up, waiting for the kettle to boil (even, in one case, doing the ironing Shocked )

Takes no time, needs no equipment, costs no money. Makes a big difference.

Yep - me too - I want good technique forget how it looks. Worry about how it looks leads to stuff like dumping the hip to "look like a racer" not that functional really.

Tiny hills that are almost flat are fear inducing... considering I skied Birds of Prey course just a few weeks back on alpine gear it is laughable. I did notice this time out that the hills on the same track as my lesson the other day had shrunk considerably... because Fastman and I had been wandering around a golf course/nordic track on slightly steeper hills in the week between. My snowplow works Ok on the skating track but backcountry on refrozen snowshoe tracks it was quite dodgy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy