Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slipped disc

Poster: A snowHead
Looking seriously like not going to make it to the slopes this year. First time for 25 years.

Had a scan a couple of weeks ago and have a bulging disc in my back pressing on sciatic nerve.
Boy does it hurt. Only relief is continuous NSAIDs and codeine. Clutching at straws but anyone had this and what did they do to relieve it?

Operation is available if I want, which I don't! Trouble is only 60-80% of ops will relieve symptoms.

Thanks
Mike
snow conditions
 cran
cran
I had it last year, fixed it with some fairly simple exercises. Is important to keep the back moving as much as possible apparently and strengthen the supporting muscles.

Did these twice a day:

I apologise for the annoying music intro on the videos... I didn't make them... just skip the first 20 secs and/or turn the sound down.
They just happen to show the 10 exercises I used.

Hip Hinge -
http://youtube.com/v/nZJqJAGD90g&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=1&feature=plpp_video
Bird Dog -
http://youtube.com/v/bqdOXZMQfos&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=2&feature=plpp_video
Basic Bridge -
http://youtube.com/v/Pd-ijWIfwx8&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=3&feature=plpp_video
Front Plank -
http://youtube.com/v/onLY3XP5lio&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=4&feature=plpp_video
Side Plank -
http://youtube.com/v/zkdJ6zNZ9sg&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=5&feature=plpp_video
Clamshell -
http://youtube.com/v/1PjBSpapkDU&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=6&feature=plpp_video
Squat -
http://youtube.com/v/SkNEARiEhY4&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=7&feature=plpp_video
Childs Pose -
http://youtube.com/v/CVqjRm6OYqw&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=8&feature=plpp_video
Cat Camel -
http://youtube.com/v/4YMyQz3J2Zw&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=9&feature=plpp_video
Marching Bridge -
http://youtube.com/v/dyuB_3_jVJc&list=PLA4CE0603F7711B61&index=10&feature=plpp_video

Some of them I couldn't even do at all to start with, and others just one or two reps, but within a few days they were getting a lot easier.

Still do them a couple of times a week even though my back is fine at the moment.

Am skiing every day and doing jumps and stuff now, In October I couldn't even put my own socks on, and walking to the shops was agony.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you so much. How many reps were you doing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did similar on Friday getting on a train I had t then sit down for 2 hours on Sad

Luckily by Tuesday it is mobilising again so I am hoping my next trip in two weeks will be ok

Exercises look good though , will start on them once I've got a bit more stability
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fuego, Sorry to hear this. The good news is that your skiing days are far from over.

Get thee to a qualified Pilates teacher.

Allow me a little rant to emphasize the point. About four years ago like Cran, I could barely do up my own shoelaces. I was getting severe spinal payback on disc injury done in my feckless 20s.
It had played up over the years and I had tried everything to fix it - acupuncture, hypnosis, physio, chiropractic visits - and none of it had any lasting effect. Bucketloads of ibuprofen went down my throat when skiing and getting my boots off was agony. Sailing was similar story.
Anyway, my OH qualified as a Pilates teacher and put the hard word on me about attending her classes to fix it. Long story short I wasn't a Believer at first but I sure am now.

The exercises in the vids posted by Cran are almost all Pilates ones. but some like the side and front plank would be considered intermediate level and should be worked up to slowly...and I mean slowly, like six months. It's your vertebrae you're dealing with and doing too much too
soon can really fk it up badly. That's why a proper teacher is advisable.

But check them out first. Gyms will send fitness instructors along to weekend "Pilates training" course and then allow them to teach "pilates classes". Compare that with my OH who did Pilates for about ten years before deciding
on a career change and spent six months training and qualifying before running her own classes. She's extremely careful about pushing clients too fast and too hard especially those with injuries. It's all about slow and gentle. Google Joseph Pilates who invented it to find out more.

There are two schools of Pilates in the UK. Both are good. Body Control is the one we do. It's a long slow process but stick with it - it will probably take a couple of months of a couple of hours a week before you notice any real and lasting improvement. At first it can seem like just lying on the floor waving your arms and legs around like a cast sheep. But keep at it. It won't cure the problem but it will give you the tools and super strong core muscles (we're talking six packs here) to manage the problem into almost insignificance.

You should be able to get group classes for about £8 to £12 an hour depending on whether you buy a block of six or seven classes at once. Body Control do not allow their teachers to have more than 12 in a group. Private lessons are up to £60 an hour. If you can afford it, try a couple of privates to get what they're on about and then do the group thing.

Good luck and perseverance and you'll be back dropping cliffs and spinning some inverts with the rest of us geriatrics soon enough!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
codeine P is nice, though addictive if you are that way inclined, 60mg qds, you can float off the pain in a lovely warm opiate blanket within 7 minutes, added bonus, one only has to go biggies twice a week, so a time saving regime. Codeine is not available in France, US, or Canada on its own so take plenty with you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fuego, wot Big Paua says, in every detail. Pilates - I do mat-based as well, no machines - is an absolute lifesaver so far as I'm concerned. I still get the occasional twinge of back pain, usually first thing in the morning, but it's no problem because it can be exercised away in a matter of moments.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like Bug Paua I suffered with my back since an injury in my 20s. Visits over the years to various chiro's, osteo's, physios, NHS, private, all concluded there was nothing wrong until one particularly bright osteo recommended an MRI about 3 years ago. It showed one bulging disc and one flat disc Treatment from the particularly bright osteo unfortunately couldn't help, NHS offered me spinal fusion to two discs, but I really didn't want that.

At around the same time I decided I wanted to start weight training but didn't want to try on my own in case I made my back worse, so I found a personal trainer. I picked her specifically because her website said she was planning to train as an osteo so I figured she clearly had an interest in backs. When I met her she had just done a course in corrective exercise for back pain. She's got years of experience as a PT and a keen interest in injury rehab. She gave me a specific workout to do at home for my back, I joined her pilates/yoga class once a week, and she safely trained me with weights, resistance and core work.

It was the best thing I ever did. My disc will never repair, but I can do anything I want. Four months after I started seeing her I started to run and ice dance which I'd given up the previous year on the osteo's advice. Now that I've injured my knee on the slopes I'm seeing her again and she is working me hard as usual, love it!

The key is to keep your whole body strong, with an emphasis on your core muscles as these protect and provide support for your spine. I guess finding a PT like mine was just lucky, but starting with Pilates will be a really good move. Saying that, I had private sessions with a Pilates teacher at the osteo's and she was taking it far too slowly, I got bored and gave up. Make sure you find someone who is dynamic and not scared to push you, and don't be worried about a little discomfort, it's normally just your back muscles and all of our muscles hurt when we work them.

Oh, and sorry to go on, but the painkillers, be careful. I took prescription strength co-codamol for way too long and my GP failed to tell me of the implications for constipation and I ended up with more problems.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fuego, Well for me none of the pilates, chiropractic, osteopathic, exercise treatmments were any good - I had one proplapsed disc which then stabilised, then the next one down bulged badly and crushed my sciatic nerve. As well as severe pain this also caused loss of feeling and strength in my right foot and leg. As I got to the point of not being able to walk without a stick I went for surgery. Unfortunately it was too late for the nerve damage which is permanent, but the surgery stopped the progressive disabilty, and eliminated the pain (though the consultant would not guarantee that in advance). After surgery I had lots of (private) physio, pilates, and exercise, but it still took, realistically about a year to get to full fitness. Now three and half years on my skiing is improving still, i have recently taken up off-piste, and am thinking of instructor training. (and by the way - I am now 51, and didn't learn to ski until I was 44, only weeks before my first disc went)

Robin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Joseph Pilates himself said that in ten sessions you will feel the difference; in 20 you will see the difference; and in 30 you will have a whole new body.

Pilates gives a great base and awareness for all sorts of sports and everyday movements in general.

As has been said earlier it's important to have a properly qualified teacher (best is one-on-one). Most gym run "Pilates" mat classes are run by anything but qualified instructors. It takes many years to qualify as a Pilates teacher. A qualified instructor will have access to the full toolbox of exercises including equipment such as the Cadillac.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fuego,

This thread might help .....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77937&highlight=back

I ended up buying a "backmagic" thingy and a few books that were recommended by other Snowheads ......
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodi-Tek-Bodi-Tek-Back-Magic/dp/B001V5INF2?tag=amz07b-21

Must say they worked a treat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked an 8 weel Pilates courese with a beginner session next Wed - good advice all
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It might also be worth looking at the Alexander Technique.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have suffered with prolapsed discs/sciatic pain since I was a child and am now waiting for my coccyx to be amputated. +1 to pilates. +1 to gentle exercise several times a week even if that is just walking the dog!
I use cocodamol/voltarol/gabapentin daily.
Ice/heat as and when required.
For me a tens machine has been invaluable, I got it through the pain clinic at my doctors surgery, It works by passing a small electric current through pads attached to your skin either side of the affected area. This means the nerves are busy translating the current rather than transmitting pain to your brain. It also means I can work/ski without taking so much medication that it could impair my judgement. It is important to listen to your body tho, its no good ignoring pain it is there for a reason- to stop you making things worse.
Core strength improvement to shore up the skeleton is def the way to go in the first instance but don't be afraid to go back to your GP if you don't improve signifigantly in the next couple of weeks, there are treatments out there other than surgery which although may not have helped some of the people on here may help you. Personally I found accupuncture very helpful for the sciatic pain, again I was referred thru my GP and had a course of 8 sessions weekly initially and have a "top up" bi-monthly now. Hopefully once I get my coccyx removed my discs should settle down somewhat. Good luck with a speedy recovery.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lilywhite, good luck, I hope the surgery is successful for you. Even more best wishes if you're 'lilywhite' cos you're a Spurs fan Very Happy
snow conditions
lilywhite, Ouch! Sounds extremely painful. Good work keeping up skiing despite it all though. And best of luck with the surgery.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My sister had a prolapsed disc a few years ago and has been able to ski fine afterwards. The main things she found helpful were DEMANDING a referral to hospital (her GP was verging on negligence they were so hopeless with her back pain) finding a good physiotherapist (unfortunately the NHS physio was scared of backs but she found a wonderful private one) and making sure she doesn't spend extended periods of time sitting down. She also does certain physio exercises every night before bed to keep her supporting muscles strong and stretched (she says pilates is useful but extremely tedious to keep up properly). The worst thing she found was staying immobile as everything siezed up and felt even worse. One last thing was that she was limping for at least a year after the disc itself was fixed due to bruising her nerves. Apparently this is actually quite normal, I think because nerves are very slow growing cells so it takes a long time to replace damaged parts.
snow report
Sloop/Big Paua thanks for the well wishes, lilywhite is a corruption of my name and nothing to do with Spurs!xx Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy