Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute-nendaz HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All, this may seem a little premature, but I have booked a self catered apartment for 8 next feb 2013. I am looking to make this semi-catered, by securing someone to prepare our evening meals......this is where you lot come......any ideas, suggestions, guidance or abuse would be gratefully received on how I could achieve this.

Alun
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.nigelslater.com/books_view.asp?nBook_ID=%7B084B9D59-2D2A-42E1-9A03-445662526A7D%7D
Easy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DON'T!!!

Cancel it

Find another resort!

I've just come back from there and it is without question the worst resort I've ever been to in terms of skiing accessibility.

The skiing itself is good. The problem is getting there via a multitude of button lifts, T-bars and outdated telecabins. There is a chair in the village which just takes you to the aforementioned congested cr@p lifts.

Worse still, after two days of struggling with the system and not being able to ski a good run until 1 1/2 hours after you leave tyour chalet, you'll opt for the bus to Siviez, which is hourly at off-peak times!Onvce there, the lift system over to Verbier is brilliant.

A real shame for the property owners that are there. Apparently this is more or less down to one man that virtually owns the resort and won't spend money on new lifts.

If they did that it would be a great resort as there a re a few local bars and little resaurants, all of which are friendly but I wouldn't hold your breath for any improvement in the lift system.

A real shame in my opinion.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mad4snow, I dont agree with JJF, however do concede that there are a few lifts to go on, with equally good runs off them, just to get to Siviez and yes you do need to be out early and back late to ski the full 4 Valles but it really depends on what type of skiers you are and how long you want to stay out. If you're happy to be out from 8.30am to 5pm its great, if your 10-3pm people its not for you (unless you want to just ski Nendaz area). Siviez can be busy (especially at peak hols times with kids) but once through there (and if youre in decent time, ie pre 9.15am you will not get in queues IME) your up into Tortin and Mont Fort in quick time, big-lads country! The runs down to Siviez from Nendaz are great, better still coming back via Plan De Fou.

We've been 2x and in fairness stayed right next to the main Telecabine at Haute Nendaz, if you were a long walk from the lift I do get that it would be a pain, its very steep roads up to the lift and bus gets v busy. As a resort TBPH its not the greatest, architecture somewhat dated, some decent bars and restaurants, but its NOT Verbier and thats why we like it. Its not mega-expensice (in Swiss terms its reasonable IMO), its very accesssible by train/ bus, its not full of City banker KH's (bragging about how at 30 years old theyv'e bought their latest Maserati vs their last Ferrari......overheard lift conversation in Verbier), and IMO great low-key skiing with access to the 2nd best ski area in Europe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

someone to prepare our evening meals......this is where you lot come......any ideas, suggestions

take a poverty-stricken friend who can cook, and pay for their lift pass - or whatever it takes.

Does the apartment have good cooking facilities - ie proper oven, utensils, enough space, etc?

Does the resort not have any decent "traiteurs" where you can buy ready-made dishes? Or restaurants? Either would probably be cheaper than paying somebody to come in just to make 8 dinners each evening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29, Can't believe a Yorkshireman isn't complaining as much as me!

Are you sure you're from the North side of the Pennines?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mad4snow, I'm sure the guys at Mira can help you - they do in-chalet catering: - http://www.nendazchaletservices.com/index.php

Jumping Jack Flash, - did you actually go to Nendaz? I do agree that the links are pretty cr4p, however there are no t-bars in Nendaz and there is no chairlift in the village? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
DON'T!!!

Cancel it

Find another resort!

I've just come back from there and it is without question the worst resort I've ever been to in terms of skiing accessibility.

The skiing itself is good. The problem is getting there via a multitude of button lifts, T-bars and outdated telecabins. There is a chair in the village which just takes you to the aforementioned congested cr@p lifts.

Worse still, after two days of struggling with the system and not being able to ski a good run until 1 1/2 hours after you leave tyour chalet, you'll opt for the bus to Siviez, which is hourly at off-peak times!Onvce there, the lift system over to Verbier is brilliant.

A real shame for the property owners that are there. Apparently this is more or less down to one man that virtually owns the resort and won't spend money on new lifts.

If they did that it would be a great resort as there a re a few local bars and little resaurants, all of which are friendly but I wouldn't hold your breath for any improvement in the lift system.

A real shame in my opinion.

Where is this 'chair in the village' you talk of? There is a fairly new fast telecabine in the village but no chairs.
To get to Siviez - snow permitting - it's a decent telecabine, a red run, a poma and a short cable car. Then your skiing all the way.

I have come to the conclusion that Nendaz is a reasonably cheap (by ski resort standards), pleasant even homely town with absolutely every service you could require. It's good for families maybe with young kids who want to potter about on the local slopes, who want to self cater as the supermarkets in town are very good or for the more adventurous who want a cheaper option than Verbier but with more life than Thyon or Siviez but who want access to the 4V off piste. It's not a place for folk looking to ski hundreds of kms of beautifully groomed pistes. It's not Val d'Isere or Courchevel.

It does get very congested in school holidays, it's a fantastic pity they have not developed the uplift capacity, if it was in France there would probably be a lift straight in to Lac de Vaux.
I disagree re the architecture, it's far nicer than the purpose built concrete monstrosities you can find elsewhere, it's a very pleasant 'real' town. It's a satellite resort at the end of the day, the transfer from resorts such as this to the mega areas can often be torturous.

Don't cancel - if you can put up with a wee bit of hassle - its a great place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fifespud, I agree, and maybe my comment re architecture was misplaced.....I was referring to the big Swiss 1970's appartment chalet blocks which are IMO looking somewhat dated. Certainly nowhere near as unsightly as some of the French places Les Menuires/ Le Lac etc. I really like Haute Nendaz. there is a new lift planned up to link Siviez better but is currently on hold whilst the arguing local families sort out their differences, and agree their financials, but I'm advised by a local that it will happen. Then HN really will be the business....I'd buy there now if I had the money!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry, the "chair" is a "bubble"!

If the lifts are improved it would be a great place and has some of the best off-piste opportunities in Europe. A shame it was all tracked out when we were there last week. The hotel owner said that he thought that would be it for the seaon now which would be a shame for them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
Fifespud, I agree, and maybe my comment re architecture was misplaced.....I was referring to the big Swiss 1970's appartment chalet blocks which are IMO looking somewhat dated. Certainly nowhere near as unsightly as some of the French places Les Menuires/ Le Lac etc. I really like Haute Nendaz. there is a new lift planned up to link Siviez better but is currently on hold whilst the arguing local families sort out their differences, and agree their financials, but I'm advised by a local that it will happen. Then HN really will be the business....I'd buy there now if I had the money!

They always blame the lack of development on the environmentalist lobby. Stopping snow cannons at the bottom of Prarion. To me the argument doesn't hold water - cannons would be good but id there was a fast 6 man or telecabine up to the top of Plan de Fou the snow conditions would be irrelevant.

I suspect Mr Fournier has got an extremely busy lift system, earning him lots of dosh - so why spend any.

The next development in the area is the replacement of the old 2 man from Siviez to bottom of the Poma that drags you back up to Plan de Fou from the Siviez side.

Construction continues unabated though - I'm hoping the pressure becomes so great massive improvements have to occur.

What they really need is the Winter Olympics - they have come blooming close a couple of times, I believe but under the Cantonal system the whole Valais have the final word and they have always vetoed it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What they really need is the Winter Olympics - they have come blooming close a couple of times, I believe but under the Cantonal system the whole Valais have the final word and they have always vetoed it.

Fifespud, Ha! The locals don't seem to like anyone from outside their immediate valley visiting them - I can't see them wanting the world to arrive at their doorstep!!!

Talk remains that they will be introducing a new lift from Siviez up to PdF (or is it only the 1st half of the ride they are replacing???) this summer which will be great, however the Telenendaz lift system remains light years behind Verbier and as such the Nendaz/4-Vallees (except Verbier) cannot really compete with the other major ski areas across Europe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1556garyt wrote:
Quote:

Fifespud, Ha! The locals don't seem to like anyone from outside their immediate valley visiting them - I can't see them wanting the world to arrive at their doorstep!!!

Talk remains that they will be introducing a new lift from Siviez up to PdF (or is it only the 1st half of the ride they are replacing???) this summer which will be great, however the Telenendaz lift system remains light years behind Verbier and as such the Nendaz/4-Vallees (except Verbier) cannot really compete with the other major ski areas across Europe.

I'll bet it's just the first half.

When all's said and done I still really like Nendaz, many happy memories, I'm sure for you too Gary.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud, Oh yes - I'm a huge fan... 3 weeks already this year... If only they would get the lift system even half as good as Verbier we'd be laughing....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy