Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Wish List

Poster: A snowHead
Going off on a tangent on another thread the topic came round to a wish list of runs/routes you would love to do. The ones that you have seen from a distance, or maybe seen pictures of, and thought you would love to do that.

State whether they are, in your opinion, feasible for you to try - within the knowledge you have of them - and when/if you plan to have a crack at them.

I suggested the Couloir Cosmiques. I have seen the walk in and the outline route from the midi CC. I have got a bit of an idea of the commitment from Roger Lambert's 'Last Resort' and Phil Ingle's website. I really fancy the idea but would have to have a detailed chat with the guide to see whether I am upto it

Arno chipped in with these below and I have pasted them in here to start the ball rolling

Realistic - Armancette Glacier from Domes de Miage

Semi-realistic - Glacier Rond (Cosmiques looks pretty good too...), Mont Blanc by Aiguille Grises

Not- v realistic - Couloir Infernet (Oisans region)

I'm off to look a few of these up..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are a few snaps of the Infernet. Only heard about it very recently. Doesn't look too bad in the photos but it gets rated something like 5.4 in Sashihani's (?sp) books which is certainly tough enough Laughing

http://romane.darlix.free.fr/2003/infernet/AlbumIndex1.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

I can't get much of a sense of perspective on the Infernet, what is the vertical?

And whats the warm up?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Judging by the video it's steep eough to discourage carving. Either that, or those two guys were taking their first trip outside the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liked the video..........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm, cool! My wishlist is to vague I'm afraid. More touring. More climbing up. I did have a major envy of a bumps run that is quite obvious from the summit of Mont Chery (PDS) and skied it last season. It's in Praz de Lys and is quite as good as it looks. Even better, powder doesn't seem to get tracked so the sidewalls were a delight 5 days post-dump.

Would like to do the Cimi bianchi into Champoluc purely as l'autre 0.5 thinks it was a lot of fun as a kid, also general touring around Monterosa.

Not much help me am I?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, about 1400m vertical, I think. Here's a photo of most of it:

http://www.skitour.fr/photos/infernet-couloir-nord,847-3.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

Now that looks something else...!!!

Don't know about the climb tho'

I've had another think about Cosmiques; we are normally a group of 7, 3 or 4 probably wouldn't be able, or want to do it. Our tele guy, who is the most experienced moutaineer by far wouldn't be interested but he could ski it, even though he has only been telemarking for 4-5 seasons, that leaves just the two of us.
As we always ski together this would probably mean I would have to do it outside the group as this route would probably take over the trip. So on that basis, I would mark it as not likely.

But if anyone out there wants to talk about it...!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch,

On the other thread, you mention drop ins.. Have you seen Corbetts and if so, what is it like?

I've always fancied that but it depends how big the lip is. Somes pics I've seen suggest the drop isn't bad, others say 12ft or more which would mean a bit of a 'cowboy over it' for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, I think it varies massively according to the snow accumulation at the time. Bob Peters would probably be the man for more details.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell,

Yes, big dilemma, little drop could mean poorer snow etc. As with everything you just have to take it as it comes. you get what you get.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
Martin Bell,
little drop could mean poorer snow

I reckon it's probably vice versa, in big snow years the landing area would "fill in", whereas the ridge that you jump from seems to be wind-scoured so would never build up as much depth. So I think the drop would be less in a big snow year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Bell,

Even better, for me. I just have to decide whether it is Wyoming or Utah..!!
If its Wyoming then you just have to tick off Corbett's. How hard can it be.?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corbets is on my wish list, meaning when/if I get there I wish I don't bottle it and if I do drop in I wish I get down without breaking anything.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/mtn.gallery.asp?Dir=Corbets%20Couloir

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=13706&highlight=corbets
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, here's a previous thread on the subject of Corbets.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4242&highlight=corbet
ski holidays
I believe there was a video clip somewhere but couldn't find it.
ski holidays
Thanks Helen, my thoughts on how to ski it seem to fall in well with this link. Well at least that's the theory bit over and done with snowHead

http://www.skimag.com/skimag/features/article/0,12795,534828,00.html
snow report
Here's the video of Corbett's, courtesy of Alan Craggs in the snowMedia zone (you'll have to log on there to view it)
snow report
Cathy Coins, thanks I knew it was there somwhere, but couldn't find it.
snow report
I don't think I could go all that way and not do it, but hey, its the beer talking..!!

Any other runs?

I was most disappointed with the Sarrene!

Tortin's nice as I remember and Mont Gele is fabulous after a snowfall.
Got blown out on the Valluga...high winds..!!

I once tried to ski the OK run in Val D after it was roped off for a Europa meet, took it from the starting hut and it was so so so SO fast.
I was doing everything to slow down and had to bail out not a third of the way down...big big wipe-out..!! How those skiers go straight down, I'll never know...!!
And it is considered wimpy on the downhiller's WC schedule..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Val Gaudena run is nice tho.!!
ski holidays
The right hand side of Spanky's Ladder in Whistler - I think it's about 3ft wide in some places. Unlikely to ever be good enough for that.
Similarly the first entrance down into Blackcombe glacier, just after you reach the top of the walk up from the top lift.
latest report
JT wrote:
I don't think I could go all that way and not do it

Yeah, I agree. At the very least I'd have to go and have a look but I'm pretty sure that I'd bottle it. As you say, sometimes the drop doesn't look TOO bad, but I suspect it would look a lot more scary when you're there. Still, maybe one day.

The Valluga's fairly steep at the top but most of the rest is pretty flat. It's a nice run though.

I skied the Tortin last winter and liked the area a lot. Didn't get a chance to do Mont Gele though - maybe this year as we're going back.

davehk, Spanky's is the bit at the top of Blackcomb which you get to with a small hike, yeah? I think I've done that but I don't remember anything quite as narrow as 3ft so maybe I went the easy way.
snow report
alan empty,

I have only seen the Valluga from the top station and I am assuming it gets its rating from the rock outcrops and a fall here could be nasty.

Its a long time since I did Mont Gele and back then I loved it. Maybe I have a romantic view on it. If I went back to Verbier I would want to do the back of Mont Fort. Or the front of Mont Gele...!!! Saw some tracks there and thought wow....!! You had better do clean turns there as the whole of Laux des vaux can see it.
What lift acceess Mont Gele now as I can't see it on this ..

http://www.alpineskimaps.com/swit/verbier/back.htm
ski holidays
JT, Sarenne is pretty but not the scariest run. Lots of good stuff around it though, although some take a bit of finding.

alan empty, there are numerous ways down off Spanky's. I think davehk, is describing the entrance to Sapphire Bowl. There's a great guidebook to Whistler/Blackcomb which has come out in the last couple of years. Shows all the runs and variations very clearly
snow conditions
Arno,

Aa a red it is pretty bland, I just thought this thread could be about any run as opposed to hairy stuff
snow conditions
JT, yeah a fall on the Valluga definitely wouldn't be good. I found the worst bit was putting my skis on - I was more than a little nervous - but the actual run was fine.

Re: lift access to Mont Gele, not sure. I thought the lift coming out of l'Olympique on that map went a lot higher but I might be getting mixed up.

Thanks Arno, I'll look out for it. No idea which bowl we ended up in - it was a while back.
ski holidays
JT, i do quite like the sarenne if it's quiet and in good condition - you can really go fast and it is quite sustained until you get to the track at the bottom. fair point about the thread not just being about hairy stuff - just that most of the stuff I really want to do is quite hairy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
JT, alan empty, The map does look strange. The lift goes from Attelas to the top of the Gele (2733m - 3002m).

They only opened the lift for a handful of days 04/05, the year before it was open quite often. Normally it is possible to hike the face over lac des Vaux, around 40 mins to the top.

Now Bec de Rosses, there's a little walk... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alan empty wrote:
JT wrote:
I don't think I could go all that way and not do it

Yeah, I agree. At the very least I'd have to go and have a look but I'm pretty sure that I'd bottle it. As you say, sometimes the drop doesn't look TOO bad, but I suspect it would look a lot more scary when you're there. Still, maybe one day.

The Valluga's fairly steep at the top but most of the rest is pretty flat. It's a nice run though.

I skied the Tortin last winter and liked the area a lot. Didn't get a chance to do Mont Gele though - maybe this year as we're going back.

davehk, Spanky's is the bit at the top of Blackcomb which you get to with a small hike, yeah? I think I've done that but I don't remember anything quite as narrow as 3ft so maybe I went the easy way.

spanky's is the climb off to the left of the glacier express lift, rather than going up the showcase lift and then up the more gentle slope off to the right. It is the entrance Garnet, Ruby, Diamond and Saphire bowls. When you get through the gap in the rock, you can again go left or right. To the left is quite sensible - I can ski that one. To the right, I'm told there are two chutes, one of which is 3'wide! I've not had the courage to go and look from the top, but I've looked back up from the bottom and it looks pretty crazy to me.
snow report
some years ago, my only weeks skiing was a week in Verbier in early April. Never been there before, cloudy and raining in village so we decided just to go as high as poss to see if we could climb above it. Around Attelas level we broke through into a lovely sunny cold snowy world. Oh well we thought carry on up, this Mont Gele thing looks quite fun.

Anyway, there we are, 1st run of the year, and we're heading down the face of Mont Gele in 30 cm powder. Mighty, mighty fine, big silly grins all round. Had had absolutely no idea what we had been getting ourselves into. Laughing Laughing

Finished the week with a run down back of Mont fort which wasn't bad either.

A bit up thread, not convinced I fancy the jump into Corbett's either. Like snow directly under my feet rather than with a big air gap.
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

If I went to Jackson I'm pretty sure I would do it even if it meant a scramble down off the lip. At worst I'd backside it just enough to not catch my skis and flip out @rse over tit. Done that a few times...!! I wouldn't fancy a run and big air into it... !!!!

I hoping to meet up with some of you guys at the PSB.. just need a few things to fall into place..!!

Anyone know the name of the 4 gulleys to the left of the 2nd stage Valluga CC. I forget the name of the lift but you can see the drops as you go over them. You have to duck under the netting. I've done the last one - in glorious snow - which I suspect is the easiest...!!...nice and steep though.
ski holidays
The best run I have had was Diretissima at Klosters - ski down a little from the top of the Weissflujoch then clamber through some rocks on your left and on to an enormous wide open face below the cable car station. Quite steep at the top but great snow and no obstacles. This runs for at a guess 800-1000m vertical, then a steady climb for about an hour, followed by another 500-600m vertical of gentle slopes before arriving at Schifer for lunch. A nice long lunch in the sun then down to Serneus through some great flowing gullies and rollers. A couple of beers in Serneus waiting for the bus back to Klosters.

For anybody looking to repeat this I would recommend using Johannes Vogt of http://www.adventure-skiing.ch/. We had four days with him and went on some great trips.
ski holidays
aseeto,

Sounds like a gem of a run to me..!!
snow conditions
check this out, the trip to Baffin Island

http://www.pawprince.com/pawprince/adventures/baffin04/pages/bi09_twins.html

A guy I met repeated this trip this year, he has skied a lot of famous couloirs and these in Baffin Island were his favourites.
snow report
also

http://www.pawprince.com/pawprince/adventures/baffin02/images/11-20.htm

image #13, which Mike Hamilton said is 'the best couloir in the world'
snow conditions
flicksta,

Fabulous shots and earned the HARD way...!!
latest report
Back to the Infernet, which I only just noticed (!). The video's very fine, looks kind of fun. I did get the feeling that the first turn was a little "shaky" - definitely a cheek tightening moment...

Baffin looks amazing!
snow report
Ludicrous. they had to trek 80 miles across frozen ocean to get there. Shotgun to keep the bears away, although the shotgun only got used for victory shots once they'd picked another off. That Polar Star couloir is a km long with 200ft rock walls either side.
snow report
Anyone know what the couloirs just after the Requiem hut on the midi are called. We called them the F*** **f couloirs and they are pretty damn good IMV. And you have to ski Envers to get there - unless you walk across from the hut - just to make it such a lousy day... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
David Murdoch,

Very very cold, in the Arctic Circle. The guy I know who did it this year 'had to take the shotgun over the border from the US to Canada' because his partner was a convicted felon. Nice. Serious skiers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy