Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What car?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am flying to Munich on the 15th of March and driving to Soll.

Please can I have anyones thoughts on hiring a BMW 3 series tourer, the reason for my concern is that 2 of the girls at work have 3 series BMW's (yes I know I pay them to much) and they are rubbish in snow.

The car will be fitted with snow tyres but will this be enough, do I still need chains or should I try for something else (although BMW's are the main make on offer with it being Germany).

Any recommendations on hire companies in Munich would help as well.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoid RWD at all costs. Go Audi/VW if it's Germany.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RWD with winter tyres is better than FWD with summer tyres but avoid if you can. 3 series BMW's are also available in 4WD here in central europe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Save your money and get a Golf or a Skoda. But Soll is not a very high resort and access is all main roads, so you should be OK without chains - take advice from the hire car people.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the help I have booked with Hioliday Autos.

The only thing is that it appears that I will be met at the airport by someone called Caro Germany.

Never had this before so just wondered if anyone had any experience with tthis or something similar.

Thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Presumably it's http://www.caro.info/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
See other threads for reasons to avoid Holiday Autos. 3 series BMW's are worse than useless even with winter tyres if it snows. Even on gentle gradients you will fishtail all over the place. HA and most proper (non broker) car rental co's only quote you a class of car not an actual make and model so you may not get a BMW anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a RWD car. It's fun drifting it and skidding it about. Toofy Grin

If you want to drive anywhere, and there's a risk of snow, don't. If you have to put the chains on - put them on the rear wheels, of course - and then you'll be funny to watch.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last wrote:
Get a RWD car. If you have to put the chains on - put them on the rear wheels, of course - and then you'll be funny to watch.

It was even more hilarious over Xmas to watch someone fail to get up a hill in their BMW and then proceed to put chains on the front wheels. At this point, the staff in the hotel decided to go out and give them a bit of advice....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ian999 wrote:
HA and most proper (non broker) car rental co's only quote you a class of car not an actual make and model so you may not get a BMW anyway.

Exactly right.In the many times I have hired(in France though),I have never got the car I was expecting.You are hiring by passenger/luggage capacity,and any mention of model is purely an example of catagory.I dont think I have ever seen a guarantee of model provided.
You would generally expect a drive to Soll to be OK,but the way its been going in Austria this winter, it could be 6ft deep or nothing Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense! We took a BMW 330 with winter tyres to Chamonix for our season and it was absolutely perfect, we never had any problems and never even used our snow chains. True, RWD with summer tyres will be useless, but the Germans would never drive one in winter conditions without the correct tyres, so they don't have any problems. All the muppets that say BMWs are crap in the snow are not using the correct tyres for the conditions. The grip with winter tyres is incredible, we even took it with the antiskid off in a frozen carpark and struggled to get it to slide (much fun!) It was also a great car for a long journey. We're taking ours to Gressoney next weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovessnoow wrote:
Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense! We took a BMW 330 with winter tyres to Chamonix for our season and it was absolutely perfect, we never had any problems and never even used our snow chains. True, RWD with summer tyres will be useless, but the Germans would never drive one in winter conditions without the correct tyres, so they don't have any problems. All the muppets that say BMWs are crap in the snow are not using the correct tyres for the conditions. The grip with winter tyres is incredible, we even took it with the antiskid off in a frozen carpark and struggled to get it to slide (much fun!) It was also a great car for a long journey. We're taking ours to Gressoney next weekend.

Have to agree with you, I have a 3 series coupe with winter tyres, its no Range Rover, but its got decent grip in most snow conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy