Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Villa Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Resort: La Villa
Domain: Dolomites
Author: 5RED

Date: Feb 18-25 2012
Our holiday: An early intermediate couple
Basics : Flew to Innsbruck with TO Inghams. Transfer 2.5 hours.
Lift system : Lifts are plentiful but without knowing the layout some poling can be necessary. Four or five flat lifts across La Villa make sure the Italians don't have to walk to the slopes. Speaking of Italians their behavior at lifts is of the pushing and shoving variety, then looking terribly aggrieved if you get ahead of them! Best lift of all: the horse-drawn tow lift bringing you from the bottom of Lagazuoi slope towards Armentarola.
The terrain : Again just not quite as organized as in France or Switzerland. Too much poling sapped our energy. But the views were absolutely wonderful and worth it. Runs in general slightly easier then similarly labelled French ones. Do the aforementioned 'Hidden Valley' Lagazuoi 7km red run - queues at the top soon forgotten by access to WWI gun emplacements (just to the right once you've begun the run) and then stunning scenery on the way down
The snow : A bad season for the Dolomites was offset by a nice 24 hour dump of snow on our arrival. Upon our departure temps had risen to create a nasty spring snow effect.
Off-piste : Can't comment and believe there is little due to the nature of the terrain.
The resort : Nice village with friendly locals who swap between Italian, German and local Ladin with alarming speed! A few good restaurants of standard Italian (i.e. reliably good) fare. No buzzing bars to speak of - the apres-ski action was at the top of the Piz La Ila bubble, where the 40 and 50 somethings danced their hearts out to Abba etc.
Food : La Bercia pizzeria behind the petrol station in the village, and just about any mountain restaurant though we particularly liked the wonderful salads and pasta of La Fraina. Must also mention the Rifugio at Santa Croce for a stunning and authentic lunchtime spot.
Accommodation : Al Pigher hotel run as a chalet hotel by Inghams. Best we can say is it was clean. Food appalling!
Costs: Very good value for money in terms of drinks and restaurants, nice not to be fleeced on the slopes. Lift pass a little pricey, those clocking up the miles will get best value.
Conclusion: We loved the Dolomites and will return. A huge region, though not linked, so buses must be taken. La Villa not as 'central' as some other resorts but good for a first experience of these magnificent mountains which once lay under the sea. Would recommend la Villa particularly for families and learner skiers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-03-12 20:44; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the honest trip report.

Yes the behaviour of Italians and Germans at the lifts and bus stops is appaling in my view. You just have to stand your ground and prepare yourself for some shouting and arguing.

This is the first time I have heard of the slopes requiring a lot of polling in the area above La Villa/San Cassiano/Corvara. I know there are a lot of blue runs there but I didn't think they would be quite so flat. SOme of the photos I have seen of the runs there didn't suggest to me that the slopes are that flat but sounds like I'm mistaken

Shame about your hotel. Ending up staying in a hotel in the Dolomites that serves poor food is an extremely unlucky experience. I hope you have reported this experience to Inghams.

Also suprised to hear that the cost of food/drinks in the mountain huts was quite reasonable. I have read before that the prices in this area above Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano were nearly twice as much as they are elsewhere in the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
5RED, Thanks for the report - can I assume that the chef at Al Pigher is not Italian, but an Inghams employed import from Blighty.

Was any of the polling due to lack of knowledge of the area? I can think of a couple of blues that need a good full speed run up to make the other side.

I find the on mountain pricing reasonable compared to all of the big French ski sheds that I have been to. last week prices were slighlty less in the Kronplatz area compared to the main Sella Ronda resorts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
5RED, looks like the food hasn't changed in the last month then Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, Have adjusted review to take into account poling was probably because we didn't know the slopes layout. Though I did see plenty of other people poling around too!

dippdydoodogg, at least I didn't put on weight on this trip... And thanks so much for the La Bercia tip - we ate there twice. You were known as 'my source' throughout much of the week Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
5RED, perhaps it's the beginning of a flourishing career in espionage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent report and personally much appreciated as I'm off to La Villa on Saturday Happy
Sadly also to the Al Pigher but at least I am pre-warned!

I just wondered if you could help with a quick question - I was thinking of easing into the week by going over to Pedraces and Santa Croce on day 1. We are early intermediates who can manage all the basics and parallel ski with no problem but one of the party isn't keen on slopes which fall away steeply due to a fear of heights. So tree lined slopes or wide open slopes which you can see ahead into the distance are the ideal (and I have everything crossed that the alta badia area will be ok as I spent many hours trying to find somewehere ideal!)

Anyway.....my question is i notice that the second part of the run down from Santa Croce is a red and wondered how 'red' it was? And would I be best to start the week over there before taking the gondola up to hit the main area?

Many thanks

Mel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shortsight, I would say that your plan for day one is a good one. There is nothing steep over in the Pedraces area and most runs are tree lined, it will probably be much quieter too and there are 3 good spots to have lunch snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shortsight, The top half is lovely and very gentle, a brilliant warm up piste. After a few runs on that then the botton half would be fine. The bottom half is one of those pistes that one can plan an easy route down. It is south facing however so may suffer drom the sun. The week we spent at Pedraces was fantastic for conditions and it was always perfect.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shortsight, Sorry, have just seen this now and you've probably already embarked on your trip...

Yes, a good idea to start on Pedraces / Santa Croce. The red slope is long, wide and of a consistent pitch - no falling away steep bits! In fact we went back to this area on our last day because it was quieter and we liked the Rifugio lunch spot up by the church at Santa Croce.

One thing I would say is that there are plenty of easy blue runs over in the main La Villa area, from the top of La Piz Ila bubble, and the views are pretty spectacular there too. So I would head over there on your second day. The red run home (unless you're doing the World Cup black Gran Risa slope, which we weren't!) can be mogully late in the day so I would opt to try it first some morning if you're planning to do it - on a couple of days we got the bubble back down.

Hope you have a great trip after all your research. Eat away from the hotel a few nights and remember no resort is perfect! Hopefully the beauty of the area will make it worthwhile for you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Puzzled 5RED, I am a little puzzled by your report. It isn't the Dolomites that I know.
Firstly, I would say that the area is really well linked. From the Sella Ronda route you can access miles of pistes and I can't remember doing a lot of poling.
It may also be 2.5 hours on a bus from Innsbruck but it is only 1.5 hours by car, so not a long transfer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004,
Never said the area wasn't well linked.
2.5 hours was my transfer time and as it was my trip report I thought I should state how long it was for me!
As the Dolomites covers over 600km sq, I'm sure we had a very different experience - and I've a feeling we might be very different people too...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5RED, You did say the area wasn't well linked. You wrote " a huge region, though not linked, so buses must be taken."
Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, clearly I meant that - unlike say the Trois Vallees - to access all parts of the Dolomiti Ski region, you need to take buses. I think that's a fairly accurate assessment...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of my favourite areas. I have to agree with 5RED, the areas are not linked like the 3V's. 3 hours to Selva from anywhere except Innsbruck or Bolzano would be good! Alas living where we do we can not get direct flights to these airports! Outside the Sella Ronda and its spokes, you will need to get on a bus.

They are the negative points of that area, the great positives are Scenery, Food and Value! I love the place!
snow conditions
I think the only flights into Bozen now are the scheduled ones from Rome. Verona to Selva isn't too bad though - 2 hours by car.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy