Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski technique for soft snow?

Poster: A snowHead
OK - I'm back, and thanks to (most) of you, I had a moderately successful afternoon - at least enough to keep at it. I still don't have the hang of ski technical vocabulary, but combining a lot of advice here, I found that the following worked pretty well: keeping a bit more balance on both skis rather than heavily favoring the downhill ski, not worrying too much about the whole "keeping low" debate, but rather keeping my legs "rubbery" to address sudden piles, using my upper body a bit more than usual to get on the edges (rather than relying on my ankles), keeping up my speed (and as assumed above, I definitely avoided blacks, which I reserve for really great snow days, still!) rather than hesitating at difficult turn points, especially on reds, taking blue options more often than usual and, finally, quitting whilte I was ahead when my legs got tired, and opting for the gondola back down instead of tackling late afternoon lower slopes. So, definite improvement, but still a ways to go. Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep revisiting this as I go - I'm sure more and more of the advice will make more and more sense each time. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you had a good day dude.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slush tends to just be on the lower slopes and therefore on blues and reds in spring time/alpes Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tartequin:

Thats the key. Just keep relaxed and flexible and ride that slush.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tartegnin, I sympathise. I try to use the 'old school' method mentioned earlier but often Can't be a*sed and now just start the day early and pack up at 13.30h ish followed by a long lunch, enjoying the sun, followed by early après ski. Much better than struggling with stuff I don't always enjoy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pjd, thanks for that - now I don't feel so lazy! Anyway, looks like the temps are dropping again and some flakes in the air, so maybe will eke out a few more weeks of "proper" snow ... Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tartegnin, I also sympathise. I used to hate slush but I've grown to love most of it, some of the time.

"Surf's up" is the phrase that comes to mind whenever I ski slush; that seems to get my mind and body into a better state for the conditions. I still find some of it hard work though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
super slush super surf

late afternoon slush skiing fun, many thanks to www.louisathruthelens.com for the photo of me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, nice!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tartegnin wrote:
I would REALLY appreciate some plain language advice on techniques for skiing when the snow softens up, especially towards the afternoon.

I had my WORST ski day ever yesterday - started off ok on pretty icy slopes, but by late morning/early afternoon, everything had softened into big lumpy piles. I am a decent intermediate skiier, but even some of the tougher blue slopes just took it out of me. It's partly confidence, which just evaporates when I approach a big soft pile and have to contemplate a turn, but I suspect a lot of it is technique - what works on ice or nicely packed snow just doesn't work on soft snow. Any advice would be really gratefully received as it looks like we're in for a spell of warm weather. To be honest, I've been improving so nicely this season, but yesterday really got me down (in both senses of the word).

As an aside, I did change my boots recently and suddenly after my boot bag was (mistakenly?) taken out of the changing room, and opted for a higher flex (80 from 60, I think) on the advice of an instructor ... they feel pretty comfortable, but could that have contributed to my tired legs-one fall-flailing arms-inelegant skiing?

there's no special technique for this type of snow, this type of snow shows up folks poor technique and form as it requires constant movements to keep in ballance and correct extention and flexing of the legs, as opposed to groomed hard pack that lets poor technique go un punished, these condtions are great to ski in, search dolphin turns it will show what i mean
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry about my last post^^^^^, i'd not read all the other post prior to writing mine, a lot of people are saying charge the slush and carve through it, but can intermediates really carve? a lot of people think they can and get a way with a sort of carve/skiddy heel push but still struggle when it comes to crud,
read the bit about keeping low?? not so sure about that, i was under the impression extending upwards and forwards down the hill puts me in to a position that i can then flex progressively through the turn altering how much pressure i require and also letting me absorb the terrain, hence staying in ballance and not struggling, any one agree with that?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fat skis help a lot in slush too - in fact they make it easy. What are you currently using in these conditions?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Following on from the descriptions above, here's a link to an ultra-cool video, explaining the difference between edging, pressure (referred to as pushing) and rotation (referred to as twisting). It's from the Snoworks team and the children featured are, I'm sure, the future GB ski team!:

http://youtube.com/v/1LA7Hv79I5k&list=UUpIb-1uCsX9SEZrnfQ1Ea4Q&index=3&feature=plcp
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
evski, those kids are gonna be brilliant skiers in a few years time...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
evski: Awesome! I hope those boys are on commission. It's a great illustration of a bit of skiing theory. It's perhaps simplifying things a bit to keep the message clear (most turns are really a combination of the three factors) but understanding the three factors and being able to isolate them like those boys can is great.
ski holidays
OP here - I'm back after trying out a lot of soft snow (even a couple of days ago on the glacier ...) and including with an instructor to help me out. Here, for what it's worth, are my learnings:

rotation of the ankles is key

ski "like on eggshells" (that's the instructor's description, and oddly, it helped me a lot)

keep your stance properly at hip width - too narrow will unbalance you

"decouple" the uphill and down hill legs to operate a little more independently and accommodate soft piles

stop being fearful and, for heaven's sake, stop overthinking (my problem, generally ...)

I can't say I'm expert at this, but having a lot more fun now! Glacier here is open two more weeks - yipee!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy