Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time in Selva

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Selva for the first time next week Very Happy

What area would people recommend for a first days warm up - both confident intermediates. Also, any particular runs we should go out of our way to try as the week goes on? (We'll do the Sella Ronda at some point).

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head to Covara on the long red from Danterceppies, and other runs there in the area are long and bluesy and perfect for getting the ski legs back, in particular the runs around Pralongia and San Cassiano, and some really nice restaurants as well!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or even closer to Selva, get the Ciampinoi gondola up and then ski down to the Plan de Grabla area. Lots of blues in this area and the excellant go go bar at Piz Seteur.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You must do the Sasslong and La Longia (10.5k red) over towards Orteisi, and all the reds coming back to Selva. Lots of runs in and around Arabba, but in general use the SR to get around, get off it asap.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Sasslong and La Longia. Seceda area not to be missed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't bother with alp di siussi, one of the worse ski areas I have been to. A lot of the runs are either too short or too flat.
La longia is superb, even the Mrs liked it and she's hard to please! Unfortunately we couldn't get back up the cable car due to high wind so only had one go at it and hence the trip to alp do siussi.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr, you are right about going to Alpe de Suisse - when you go from Ortesei. But we enjoyed the bus journey through the trees from Mont Pana to Saltria - and the runs at that end of Alpe de Suisse. Nice quiet runs - often through trees. It was good to get somewhere quiet. Although we were there in January, I have never encountered such crowded pistes - anywhere, anytime - as on the Sella Ronda.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/vifWH_76O_Q/default.jpg Very Happy

I dont know who the man in red is at 1.36 but man he skis so beautifully.

Enjoy Selva check out the Kaisersmauren at the Cow restaurant its one of the very best I have tasted comes with a whole baked apple lots of myrtleberry jam and I recommend a order of vanila sauce with it. NehNeh

RT
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RussellT, Your link appears to be just a jpeg still photo, not a video Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
oops

try this one

http://youtube.com/v/vifWH_76O_Q
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for the Alp di Suisi/ Seisseralm area near Saltria - lovely long runs amongst great scenery with rustic huts. Ok, the reds are more like blues but great for leisurely cruising. Modern chairlifts too. The lifts there nearest Ortisei/ St Ulrich though are absolute pants - old back of the leg slappers.

On the way to Corvara,make a diversion to the Edelweisstal above Colfosco - lovely area. The run from Seceda to St Ulrich also a great and fun 10.5km cruise.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info folks. How tough is the Saslong by the way - is it a 'proper' black, or an Italian dark red?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not all that steep, but there is a lot of it. It keeps on coming. Plenty wide enough in most places to give you options. I think you would enjoy it. (It does have some odd cambers in places, but no great problem, and I assure you I am far from an ace skier!)

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
more Selva and this includes a view of the Saslong. The only really tricky bit is the final pitch which can get icy. Like any piste the dificulty depends a lot on the snow conditions at the time.

http://youtube.com/v/3N5p38XhNS8&feature=youtu.be
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget to ski the Marmolada as well - the only problem being that arriving from Selva means you'll probably catch a long queue to go up the 3 cable cars. One possibility is to time your arrival at the bottom of them in the lunch hour, having had an early lunch, and then head back quickish towards Selva once you are down.
snow report
ajpaul, RussellT is right, the Sasslong is Long and wide, and other than the last 300/400 meters which can get icy, is a really nice 'black'. Italian black. I'd class myself as a good intermediate, and i did it top to bottom, no stops, no crashes and only one local cutting me up (yep, it happens everywhere) in 9 mins (give or take). Depends on the numbers on piste at the time, but it is so wide you can always ski around them. Snow conditions might play a part now, but it's the feature run so i imagine they'll keep it well groomed. Enjoy.
ski holidays
Selva is absolutely fantastic and, as far as I am concerned, the best place to stay on the Sella Ronda. If you want a wee warm up before you start the day, or even indeed the week, you should maybe ski on the Rosaccia (I think that is what it is called, its number 37 anyway on the piste map) - these two slopes are in Selva themselves and I used to always ski them first to get the old legs back (although this was the first day or so). I loved Selva so much, I went 3 times!

You will love it and the scenery is just amazing!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy