Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Honeymoon - Where to go in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Getting married 4th January 2013 in Ireland.

Plan to snowboard 7th - 13th January, then a week in Rome, followed by a third week in the snow someplace.

Ive done over 300 days riding and fiancee has done 20 (but is a beginner).

Together we have been to Courchevel, Lech & Zermatt. Ive also spent seasons at Whistler, Treble Cone and Les Arc.

Where should we go?? Looking for high mountains, reliable early season snow, a good ski school for her and ideally some gladed areas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier is expensive and not great for beginners but this chalet is sweet for two:

http://www.oxfordski.com/print.asp?chalet=mozart
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you're in Italy anyway - I was in Claviere with my OH last week, and it was beautiful, quiet, and bang in the middle of some great skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I was in Claviere with my OH last week, and it was beautiful, quiet, and bang in the middle of some great skiing

not a place I would go on honeymoon. Look at the previous resorts Cubanpete, has been to. I'm guessing that the budget can extend a fair bit beyond that of Claviere.

How about the Dolomites - not been yet but I'm sure lots of the resorts will tick your boxes . I would have recommended Oberlech but you've already been to Lech - presume you're looking for somewhere else. Have you looked into Ischgl yet? Easy piste skiing up top and a couple of very good fun parks if that's your thang, together with good quality hotels and some romping apres.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Weekends-Where-Stay-Party/dp/0593060156/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330348780&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21 is a really good book and he comes up with some good options for romantic ski trips etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm confused - where are you snowboarding 7-13th? I assume this is for both of you? Why put rome in the middle week? Why not Rome then 2 weeks skiing or vice versa?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mr black, http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/feb/10/romantic-chalets-for-two-alps?newsfeed=true

Shimmy Alcott, exhaustion?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, I love those pods!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cortina d'Amprezzo. Lush.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep the suggestions coming guys.

The reason for the middle week in Rome is that its been 3 years since i last stood on the snow. While im really looking forward to Rome, I dont want to go there first as I will be thinking more about the snow the week after than living in the moment.

We want to get someplace really nice the first two weeks and then happy for our typical 2-3 star ski accomadation that we normally take. We found Lech do be pretty cheap despite the reputation. When we stayed in Courchevel the accomadation half board at 1850 was very reasonable. It was just the 8euro beers that killed us:(

Also plan to not book accomadation the third week and instead just go where the snow is.

Short listing resorts it feels like it could be Verbier, val d'isere or even maybe Lech again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone stayed at Nendaz? This place looks exactly the kind of place we are after. Ultimate-ski.com says its good for beginners and the bonus is I get Verbier:)

http://www.hameaulescleves.ch/en/accomodation/rooms-suites/le-mazot.html#c637

http://skisnowboardeurope.com/verbier/trailmap01.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try somewhere in Northern Italy then take 1st class train to Rome.

LukeRibs Claviere is not such a bad idea. Try and find a chalet for rent in Sagnalonga, http://vacanze.bakeca.it/altra-montagna-italia/affitto-chalet-cesana-torinese-tz3v23104636 or get a room at the Baita Gimont http://www.baitagimont.com/ and get away from it all.

Otherwise Somewhere on the Sella Ronda such as Val Gardena or In Aosta such as Cervinia or Courmayeur.

Or maybe start with the Hotel http://www.travelintelligence.com/best-hotels/style-on-the-slopes-the-best-luxury-ski-hotels-in-europe

Your Nendaz choice looks lovely and links in with a big ski system. Any good for beginners?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nendaz is said to be good for beginners however Poma lifts so not great for a snowboard low on confidence:) The other half has also said no to Nendaz as she wants a decent sized town for a good range of shops. She loved spending time after her lesson going around the shops in Zermatt.

Italy has never really appealed,although some place like Cervinia would fit her retail requirements:)

Kitzbuhul is now starting to tick all the boxes for us. Good town, big ski area, we prefered Austia over Switerland last time. Only concern I have is that the second week of January is pretty early in the season for such a low ski town.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Kitzbuhul is now starting to tick all the boxes for us. Good town, big ski area, we prefered Austia over Switerland last time. Only concern I have is that the second week of January is pretty early in the season for such a low ski town.

Look at Ischgl. Better than Kitz in pretty much every way (not that Jan should be a problem in either (that's when the famous Hahnenkahm race is in Kitz, which could be worth going there purely for tbh - remember Austria is fairly easterly so doesn't need so much altitude to get snow).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cubanpete, the second week of January is when they start training for the Hahnenkahm Downhill weekend! I do not think that it would be a classic race and a permanent fixture in the World Cup if the snow were so unreliable in January! rolling eyes

Total crap about "height" as well. Kitz and all the other so-called very low resorts in Austria are not influenced so easily by the ingress of milder maritime air so the permanent snowline in Austria is lower than that in France. The lack of maritime influence means that if you mentally add 300m to all the heights you have for Austrian resorts you can then begin to compare their "height" with those in France. In meteorological terms this phenomena is called Continentality and it goes some way to explain why some places have ski resorts more or less at sea level!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cubanpete, Have a look at La Bouitte in St Martin de Belleville. Am off there in a couple of weeks so will report back if you're interested but it looks lovely, could well fit the bill for a honeymoon. I'm not really a fan of Nendaz- we went three years ago and unless they've upgraded the lifts it's a real pain to get over to the main ski area/Verbier- we actually took a taxi round one day. Also if you're OH is not that confident the ski back across is steep and prone to moguls (not great for either of you if you're boarding). A LOT of people were downloading in the gondola.

Why not try St Anton- great snow record, nice hotels. Fantastic restaurants nearby if you are keen on that.

James the Last, useful link!
snow conditions
Cubanpete,
Not sure if anywhere in early january is completely snowsure , I can certainly remember the Hahnenkahm being largely on manmade amidst green fields at least from the TV shots on several occasions and even the occasional cancellation. The year I got married I was on holiday in Tignes in january and folk were getting bussed in from Les Arcs for lack of snow although even in Tignes several of the resort runs were closed including the main one from the glacier. This was obviously a particularly bad year fortunately be the time my honeymoon arrived in March the snows had fallen and we had a great time in Switzerland. Manmade snow has increased massively since and improved things in poor snow years but early january is still a bit of a lottery anywhere.
Anyway for a suggestion how about Flims? High mountains, but lowish resort with plenty of trees low down . Can't remember if much is actually gladed, there is a small glacier at the top and pleasant surroundings.
ski holidays
Val d'Isere good snow, nice itinaires, nice hotel lovely.
snow report
Second for Ischgl - has everything, and probably more snowsue than Kitz.
snow report
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The last few weeks have been organizing the wedding. It's now the 3rd of jan not the fourth.

Still no idea where we should go. So many conflicting reports about ski resorts and I'm really picky. I think the way I'm going to decide is if I can find a amazing chalet for two. The one at Nendaz is booked out.

So who can point me to a chalet for two with ski in ski out, hot tub and good skiing?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy