Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Channel Tunnel Queues at Calais? Still happening?

Poster: A snowHead
I remember reading that it was taking longer to get through check in etc on the way back after they reorganised it. Can someone tell me how things are running now? Especially on Sunday mornings and afternoons?

Ta
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sundays are usually very quiet which is when we normally use it on our way home. I'm sure the half-term lot said things had improved since the New Year chaos.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes very much better at half term. They have installed quite a few extra UKBA booths so there are almost twice as many staff checking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks chaps - thats just what I needed to know snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoat of the dead, we returned sunday afternoon after half term and it was fine, busy as you'd expect on that weekend but we checked in immediately on arrival and were allocated an earlier train, we then passed through to wait about 20 mins to go through UKBA, all booths were open. It was painless compared to what I had been preparing for. The trains were then all delayed by up to 30 mins due to the usual 'earlier cancellations' but this is what I have now come to expect as standard from ET on peak weekends.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoat of the dead, Post your car registration and dates and we'll see what special treatment we can arrange......... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoat of the dead, Logic says that on busy weekends the majority of people leave the ski resorts early morning on the Saturday so will hit the tunnel 8-12 hours later depending on traffic and location etc.... Therefore between 3-9pm on Saturdays should really be avoided if you can? We always avoid known peak times and never really have an issue on the French side (except they don't seem bothered about filling empty trains but thats another story..)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They did try and fill empty trains at half term. We were booked on 1114 on Sunday morning, were checked in for 1046 but then as we went through passport control they sent everyone with our letter and one before straight towards train (ie away from shops - shock horror). When we got to stacking area there were no cars and just a green arrow so we drove straight onto the 1015ish train obvs filling up spare places.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strangely for us, we will be returning to the UK on the ferry this time, and only using the tunnel for the outbound leg. I didn't have enough Tesco vouchers for the first time ever, and it was cheaper to book a ferry.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Queues at the tunnel? At the end of half term? Over a weekend? When lots of Brits are trying to get back home?

In the words of Mr Martin Johnson..."shock".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurdy, the shock was that there weren't queues at the tunnel.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurdy, Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurdy, Laughing To me its the same as those who head down the M5 to Devon on a Saturday morning during school holidays and are shocked by the 20 mile minimum tail back and 3 hours going nowhere slowly through Bristol... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi
Returned last weekend peak half term.the reason no wait at tunnel was we all had a hour in traffic for last toll.In 10 years never been in such a long line.Have a toll reader but that was of no use.Sign did say they are upgrading toll area so hopefully a one off.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DonC, Listen to 107.7 fm on the A26. Music's crap and so is the announcers English accent but they gave good notice and suggested going via Amiens then up the coast to Boulogne to avoid the queue. Worked for me.
ski holidays
DJL, Did a check and that's exactly a 30 mile detour, so if the queue is bad it could work out much better.
snow report
thefatcontroller, New Year we did a divert through Calais town to Coquelles joined about 500yds before the check ins, not sure how many extra k's that was?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, I think you're about right. At an initial glance at the road atlas I thought we were on for a 15min detour but it was a bit longer than that. Still the roads were very quiet which was welcome after 7 hours on the go and so long as you resist the temptation to take the A1 signed to Calais (which puts you back on the A26 before the toll queue) it is very straightforward. With the queue reported on the radio as 6-7km it was a no-brainer. I've got ape age roofer but that only helps in the last 500m or so where it opens out before that everyone's in it together with both lanes queued.

Boredsurfing, I've been through Calais town before (though for a petrol fill when it was significantly cheaper in France or a supermarket stop) and whilst it's possible to get lost it's much better than two hours in a queue. Wouldn't have helped at half term though as there was no queue at the tunnel it was back down the A26 half an hour earlier.

Edited twice - damn iPad predictive text!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Depends if you wanted to take the risk of going anywhere near Calais from the Reims side. We just avoid bust times anyway and never normally have an issue.
ski holidays
Got an email from Eurotunnel, snippets saying

As you are travelling during one of our busiest travel periods of the year.....(on Friday April 6th)

We advise you to keep to your booked departure time and do not arrive early or late, during these busy dates, as we will not have space to accommodate you. You should therefore plan to check-in at least 30 minutes prior and no more than 2 hours before your booked departure time.

Do they really not put you on an earlier train if you arrive 2 hours earlier???
snow report
kitenski, Yes I got that. I'm booked on one next Friday about 8pm. In the past I've travelled about the same time/day and got on one as much as 4 hours early. I'll get there as soon as I can, M25/Dartford Crossing allowing.
snow report
Colin B, we're going early afternoon, so hopefully will have gone by the time you get there. Will post any probs here Toofy Grin Still mentally scarred after early Jan's fiasco DJL Laughing
ski holidays
I got that too and we're booked on the 0750 on Friday - unlikely we'll get there 2 hours early but quite possible we'll be late. Will it really be that busy so early?
ski holidays
snowlamb, I doubt it, from what I've seen it's Friday afternoon and evening that gets busy, a pity as we are booked for a crossing at about 8pm maybe the same one as Colin B

Sounds like we'll have a collection of snowHead S racing south next Friday!
latest report
you kidding, i am setting off tuesday for that very reason.....don't fancy the procession which will be next weekends drive through france + get an extra 4 days skiing in Toofy Grin
snow report
Lucky you CEM, I wish we could do the same, but cant complain as we are going for 2 weeks Laughing

Where are you heading?
snow report
stoat of the dead, How did you actually find the Calais check in process in your trip

We're out early on Good Friday and return a week later on the Sunday morning. On our February trip it was very busy at Folkestone and seemed little time between the 'call' and loading.
When we arrived back at Calais around 2:00 am and the checkin was easy, several booths and only a few cars waiting. This was the Feb half term week so we were expecting it to be much busier.
Hopefully we'll find the same easy process at Easter.
snow conditions
Good to hear everyone is going this Friday. I'm going a week Friday, so hopefully quieter!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Week Thursday for us
ski holidays
Roger C wrote:

Sounds like we'll have a collection of snowHead S racing south next Friday!

We're two cars full and are heading for Valloire.

Any one else?
snow report
I'm on the 21.50 shuttle staying in a hotel @ Cite Europe the high tailing south early Saturday morning, hope to be @ Super U Bourg St Maurice for the holiday shop by about 15.00.
snow conditions
I've received an email warning us about travelling on Good Friday and the week round on the Sunday - By all accounts the busiest days in their year and dire warnings about being on time, but too early as they will have no room for us to wait Shocked
snow conditions
FraserP, It was fine last Sunday morning (about 1000)... the only delay was security doing explosive checks on every car's steering wheels
snow report
We are heading oit on the 09:50 on Friday 30th
latest report
They sent the same emails out at Half Term, it's standard. FWIW on our return at half term we arrived early, just a bit more than 2 hours early and they did allocate us an earlier train. They did then have the usual 'delays due to earlier cancellations' though rolling eyes
ski holidays
Megamum, This is partly why they send the emails out, to stop people turning up early as they don't have the room to wait. Unfortunately we all know that you can often get on early, so turn up early and it adds to the problems. I've never had probs at Easter, apart from train break downs. If busy just need to chill and bear it
snow report
Got the email last week, travelling out early Thursday 5th & back Friday 13th (gulp). Expect the usual nonsense both ways, delayed for 2 hours in the carnage this side at half term due to "earlier cancellations" & as mentioned above arrived around 2 hours early for return, put on earlier train (hooray) then bumped (boo) due to "earlier cancellations". Speaking to the very friendly guy who checked our passports at Calais, they were drafted in from Felixstowe to help out over the busy period so hopefully similar will be planned for Easter. Cars arriving too early were being turned away before check in so at least they're making some effort. Now if only they could address the "earlier cancellations" issue we might be able to have a little more confidence in the system which to me is some brilliant engineering let down by crap logistics.
ski holidays
Booked on 1150, currently sat on 1006 about to depart.
latest report
kitenski, wow, that's good. Have a nice holiday. Again. Going green
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy