Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The need for speed

Poster: A snowHead
I am a lower intermediate (ESF adult level 2B-2A). I can (kind of) parallel blues with both long and short radius turns. Kind of S shaped turns on blues. Reds still very much traverse and turn, traverse and turn. The thing that I want to work on is speeding up. In my last set of lessons in France in Jan. the instructor kept trying to get me to speed up, but I find it difficult. Bit of a mental block when I strap the skis on. I can quite happily belt downhill on a push bike at 40mph, but I don't seem to be able to go faster when on skis.

I want to put some hours in at the local dry slope trying to get a bit faster (and therefore smoother). Anyone got any tips (apart from wearing the iPod with suitable tunes to listen to....Ace of Spades, Kennedy, White Riot.....)?

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I can quite happily belt downhill on a push bike at 40mph, but I don't seem to be able to go faster when on skis.

I sympathise. I had XC lessons in January and our instructor was trying to get us to speed up a bit on the gentle descents, but I was not willing to feel out of control - and because it's so hard to stop on XC skis, that meant I went really slowly.

On downhill skis I'm the opposite to you. I'm pretty happy skiing fast down hills but am scared doing any more than 20 mph on a bike.

Skiing does actually become a fair bit easier when you pick up a bit more speed - but although I "knew" in my head that the instructor was right, I still found it very difficult to speed up. I'm not too sure why, really. I was too acutely aware that my ability to stop was minimal, and wasn't willing to be out of control.

On downhill skis I am confident I can stop quickly, and control my line. Maybe you just need more practice, and specifically practice in stopping/slowing. If you zig-zag down red runs it sounds as though you still lack some of the crucial skills which will give you the confidence to go faster.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, look further ahead!

when you're riding your bike at speed you are most likely to be looking at the trail further ahead, as opposed to looking down at your front wheel!

The thing with skiing we tend to look down at what our skis are doing, It's a bad habit that I think everyone has done at some point, even dare I say it instructors!

Looking more ahead gives a truer perspective of actual speed and you can keep one step ahead of the terrain!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, thanks for the comments. I do lack some skills (cannot ski proper parallel on red runs), but my main problem is that I am currently skiing too slowly on the blue runs. I have been told that I have the technique to ski the blues with more speed, but I don't seem to be able to do it; I always seem to want to reduce speed. The group I was in on hols was quite slow and I often ended up near the back (sometimes because slower people would push in. GRRR!!). When I was directly behind the instructor and followed her line it was a lot easier to keep the right line and speed. I think I will put in some practice on the local dry slope, maybe with some group lessons to see if I can pick-up some speed. This will also keep me in practice for next year.....

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has got any ideas/tips for speeding up (apart from "point the tips more downhill").
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Don't do turns...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, Try one turn at a time. Point down toward the falline as far as you feel comfortable with, set of , pick up some speed and start a large slowly executed turn and keep turning uphill until you come to a stop. You'll need a wide quiet piste, start on a blue and progress to a red, look uphill first for oncoming skiers. You can start off in more a traverse than down the falline. It's a nice way to build up confidence with a bit of speed, be patient with the skis, it's a big turn so lots of time, and safe in the knowledge you'll come to a gentle stop into the hill. After a while try linking large turns up and before you know it you'll be GS'ing down the slope. As said above look ahead is a top tip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cran, thanks. Smile I was waiting for that one. That and "point the skis downhill".

gatecrasher, guilty as charged. Sounds like I'll just have to get some more practice done.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cran wrote:
Don't do turns...

A technique Tostertalby, my 8 year old had perfected!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure we've all had that guide - "I'm not a very good skier, I can't do turns ... follow me!".

I always thought of White Riot as more of a bumps tune than a need for speed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grow a pair!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby wrote:
I can (kind of) parallel blues with both long and short radius turns. Kind of S shaped turns on blues. Reds still very much traverse and turn, traverse and turn.

On the blue slopes where you are comfortable start to experiment with your turn shape and size, while always describing linked arcs - no traverse! Longer, more open turn shapes should give you more speed while shorter, 'closed' turns should reduce speed. The idea is to use turn shape and size to control your speed.

Of course this won't help directly with more speed on reds as you are using the traverse specifically to reduce your speed. On Reds my advice would be to work on linking all your turns. The best place to practice is on 'steep' sections of blue runs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Dobby,

No advice sorry, but I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem too.

I do feel I'm getting there - with lessons, practice and pushing myself to the edge of comfort (which is gradually getting faster). I'm going to try Waynos' idea next month.

Looking beyond the tips of my skis is definitely something I've been advised to do. Interestingly I took up running last year, and when I ran with a colleague who is an experienced runner, he told me to stop looking at my feet and look in front. I've realised that I even tend to get wobbly going down steps - I have to hold on to the handrail and/or look down at my feet. I'm not sure what the solution is, but awareness of the problem must be the first step.

good luck
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plus practice picking up speed on a steep bit above a long flat. Then you know that you WILL slow down eventually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby - learn to slow down at will and going faster will be less spooky... plus you can do things like make 1-2 carved turns down a steeper slope and then shut it down... and extend...

Have a look at Fastman's skid angle stuff...

http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Skid_Angle.html

and wide track steering http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Wide_Track_Steering.html

Do a lot of work on various turn shapes
http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Turn_Shape.html

and skid angles... then you will have complete control of your speed no matter what your turn size...

This is the key to extending your comfort zone... it gives you the ability to dial it down any time any where as you wish...

Ironically for most folks the ability to go slow enables them to go fast - it is a control issue usually (unless we are not really that smart we have a strange desire to be in control and not get splatted against something solid - different folks have a lower threshold than others but most have one)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dobby, I most def. have a top end speed that I hate to exceed. I am at my most nervous on those long schuss' where you need the speed to carry you up a final incline. On those occasions I have been known to exceed what I feel safe at and try to really judge how much momentum I need so as not to go faster than I need to. My biggest worry is that the skis will cross - so on the straight bits I do find a strange compulsion to set the skis on a slight edge to try and make me more stable and inscribe very slight arcs as I go along even though I know it means I might not get all the way up the slope.

I do think it is something that adults seem more keyed up to notice than kids - when I ski fast I have half a mind on the 'yard sale' that would result if I cocked it up - kids don't seem to see this - I often wonder if hypnosis would help!! LOL

I guess what I'm try to say is that I don't have a solution, but if it helps you are not alone.
snow report
Megamum, your post reminded me of when I was shussing a few years ago, tried to change pressures on skis a little to avoid some numpty stood in the middle of the piste and......face plant! Skis, snow, goggles, poles everywhere. Didn't know that snow could get where it did. I think I just really need more practice practice practice to improve technique and feel more comfortable going faster.
snow conditions
Megamum, get your alignment checked!
latest report
gatecrasher, I don't know if it's an alignment issue - I suspect it's probably just my brain on overdrive. It's daft - I know the theory weight even over both skis and they should naturally go in a straight line, I guess they DO go in a straight line, it's just my mind thinking "what if they don't and you ARE going fast girl! I know I'll edge 'em to stop it ever happening".
ski holidays
Megamum, actually, I think your approach is a good one - just very gentle curves - don't think you'd lose much speed, either. It's what I do too, quite often. The OH and I video'd each other schussing. Neither of us was tucked as low as we'd felt but at least our poles were parallel to the ground. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger wrote:
dobby - learn to slow down at will and going faster will be less spooky... plus you can do things like make 1-2 carved turns down a steeper slope and then shut it down... and extend...

Have a look at Fastman's skid angle stuff...

http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Skid_Angle.html

and wide track steering http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Wide_Track_Steering.html

Do a lot of work on various turn shapes
http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Turn_Shape.html

and skid angles... then you will have complete control of your speed no matter what your turn size...

This is the key to extending your comfort zone... it gives you the ability to dial it down any time any where as you wish...

Ironically for most folks the ability to go slow enables them to go fast - it is a control issue usually (unless we are not really that smart we have a strange desire to be in control and not get splatted against something solid - different folks have a lower threshold than others but most have one)

I can't emphasize enough how important the above advice is. It's the key to gaining the confidence to shed the Traverse/pivot turn/traverse syndrome on steeper slopes. You learn to ski proper turn shapes, with the skid angle you need to produce the speed you find comfortable. You then progressively reduce the skid angle, gradually becoming more comfortable with the higher speeds, always comforted by the knowledge you can increase your skid angle and thus slow your speed whenever you desire. It's the confidence factor that makes skiing at faster speeds less spooky.

There are also specific progression methods to ease you into tasting and becoming accustomed to speed in a comfortable manner, via the use of skid angle. Let me know if you're interested in hearing about them.
snow conditions
GS Skis 186 cm will get you going! Forget the ipod will make you bob up and down like the rest.
snow report
little tiger wrote:
Ironically for most folks the ability to go slow enables them to go fast - it is a control issue usually
Agreed wholly on this one. Obviously it's not a cast-iron rule, but it's a very good guideline that it's the control, not necessarily the speed, which affects a skier's desire to go faster. I even noticed it on myself last week. It was my first week skiing after a major knee operation a couple of months back, and I know that I'm still not up to full strength again - as such, I didn't feel that I had the ability (due to the lack of strength) to stop or react as quickly as I normally do. I have no problems with going fast (very fast, if conditions allow), but probably never got above 50%.
ski holidays
Megamum, it just struck a chord that's all, I used to feel the need to constantly ride the edges slightly on the type of runs you mentioned, more so on harder snow, I don't have this feeling anymore! Having your boots set up can feel like stepping out of an overloaded van with dodgy shockers and a worn out steering rack and jumping into the precise & tight handling of a brand new sports coupe!
snow report
gatecrasher, I know from reading SH's that boots are no doubt the key - the mantra has sunk in and I am convinced by the argument. The bugbear is the assocated cost when I have a pair of boots that although a tad on the large side have been re-fitted with extra padding and now feel just right. In fact I'm sure I must be close to a racing fit them - indeed - cold in a carpark the day we arrived in resort and I thought I'd never get them on - it took best part of 5 minutes to get my foot into each boot Shocked I don't think new boots would fit better, but I don't know anything about this alignment issue or even if my current boots would be suitable for adjustment if it were found to be wrong - IIRC they many have a canting adjustment on them but there is only a L or R swing of the switch so it might be a bit crude. I imagine that a new set of boots with all the bells and whistles would set me back £400-£500 and its a lot of cash when I have a pair that seem largely OK. I guess I'm hoping to wear the current ones out or find some other good excuse to splash the cash then I will willingly spend it and look forward to doing so and the ownership of fitted boots Very Happy

skisimon, little tiger, I am a control freek, but it hasn't helped me go any faster as some videos I am uploading to vimeo at the moment will prove when I link to them later.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
skisimon, little tiger, I am a control freek, but it hasn't helped me go any faster
Indeed, it will have had quite the opposite effect as you will only ski up to the speed that you feel totally in control at for the conditions. A very refreshing thing for another piste user - especially as I now have that horrible habit of analysing other skiers from the ski lift. Often I am slightly concerned by the number of people who are skiing at their very limit, with fundamentally flawed technique, a combination which means I wouldn't put money on them being able to make a controlled stop or course alteration if required.
ski holidays
Megamum, could be as simple as "properly made" footbeds!
ski holidays
gatecrasher, something that I've never treated myself to I must admit.
ski holidays
Can you get someone else to ride the bike at 40mph and tie yourself to the back of it ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:

skisimon, little tiger, I am a control freek, but it hasn't helped me go any faster as some videos I am uploading to vimeo at the moment will prove when I link to them later.

Megamum - so you can do all the various turn shapes and skid angles on Fastmans basic Edging DVD? and you have done the progressions to work up to speed?

The control freak part is part of the problem - having the range of skills to feel in control at speed is the answer. It can take time to develop a full complement of skills... the sooner you start the sooner you get there.
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Megamum wrote:
skisimon, little tiger, I am a control freek, but it hasn't helped me go any faster
Indeed, it will have had quite the opposite effect as you will only ski up to the speed that you feel totally in control at for the conditions. A very refreshing thing for another piste user - especially as I now have that horrible habit of analysing other skiers from the ski lift. Often I am slightly concerned by the number of people who are skiing at their very limit, with fundamentally flawed technique, a combination which means I wouldn't put money on them being able to make a controlled stop or course alteration if required.

skisimon, I see the same thing over here all the time. Just because someone is going fast does not necessarily mean they're in control. More often than not it simply means they have more courage than skill or sense.

Learning the skid angle and turn shape skills I spoke of, along with solid balance skills brings control at speed to life, and makes traveling at speed a less scary thing to do. People who have a healthy respect for danger, and don't have those skills, are legitimately fearful of speed. Their fear and hesitance to go fast is a very prudent reaction.
latest report
FastMan, Im rather hoping to have a nice package of DVD's in my post box soon Smile
ski holidays
Lots of nice advice in here but for my 2p I think it's a question primarily of bravery.
ski holidays
Quote:

ust because someone is going fast does not necessarily mean they're in control. More often than not it simply means they have more courage than skill or sense.

Quote:

I think it's a question primarily of bravery.

the two different approaches are illustrated here. One sees PLENTY of people who are skiing far faster than their skills should really allow (ie they are brave but not in control) and others who are chronically slow although they have the skills to go faster, safely.

it might be "brave" to ski faster than one's skills allow, but it's also a bit dangerous, and foolish.

Mastering the range of skills needed to be in control AND ski a bit faster, needs some work. Most of us - unless we are particularly gifted, athletically, need both time and a lot of lessons to do that. I can vouch for the quality (and approachability) of the exercises in Fastman 's videos. They're well worth the investment - but you need to be prepared to work at them, and not just swan around doing the same old same old, day after day.
snow conditions
monkey, it's more the limited technique and a bit of mental block, I think. I am quite happy playing in goal diving at the feet of some boot-swinging muppet, rugby tackling some great galoot and keeping wicket whilst some fat boy swings two and a half pounds of wood near my head....but I am taking quite a while to speed up the skiing.
ski holidays
monkey wrote:
Lots of nice advice in here but for my 2p I think it's a question primarily of bravery.
You've said the great unsayable thing. Courage is greatly underestimated as a factor that determines the rate of progression in skiing. As my kids were regularly told in the brilliant Canadian ski school at Panorama, "If you don't scare yourself at least twice a day, you're not trying hard enough."

It's been many years since I skied faster than my true limit, and probably nearly 20 years since I had a high speed fall. But I have no doubt that, when I was younger, pushing the envelope a little allowed me to progress much more rapidly than I would otherwise have done.

No doubt lots of instructor-types and wise old heads will be along soon to tell me that I'm an irresponsible fool for teaching such an heretical doctrine. Just don't try it on a crowded piste.
snow report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
FastMan, Im rather hoping to have a nice package of DVD's in my post box soon Smile

Hi Kevin. They've been in the mail over a week now, so I'd expect them to turn up in the next day or so. Enjoy and prosper from the training! Drop me a note if you have any questions along the way, I'm always happy to offer whatever help I can.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

Mastering the range of skills needed to be in control AND ski a bit faster, needs some work. Most of us - unless we are particularly gifted, athletically, need both time and a lot of lessons to do that. I can vouch for the quality (and approachability) of the exercises in Fastman 's videos. They're well worth the investment - but you need to be prepared to work at them, and not just swan around doing the same old same old, day after day.

Thanks, Pam, for the thumbs up on the program. The highlighted statement is so true, though. It's a comprehensive self training program that can bring great improvement, but only if the student commits to actually doing the required work. It takes more than just buying them and taking a quick look, then putting them on the shelf and forgetting about them. One has to devote themselves to actually getting out there and doing the training. No different from how success is realized in any other pursuit in life. There are no shortcuts excellence.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
monkey wrote:
You've said the great unsayable thing. Courage is greatly underestimated as a factor that determines the rate of progression in skiing. As my kids were regularly told in the brilliant Canadian ski school at Panorama, "If you don't scare yourself at least twice a day, you're not trying hard enough."

It's been many years since I skied faster than my true limit, and probably nearly 20 years since I had a high speed fall. But I have no doubt that, when I was younger, pushing the envelope a little allowed me to progress much more rapidly than I would otherwise have done.

No doubt lots of instructor-types and wise old heads will be along soon to tell me that I'm an irresponsible fool for teaching such an heretical doctrine. Just don't try it on a crowded piste.

Indeed. How do you progres at anything unless you get out of your comfort zone?

This does not mean ski like a psychopath - but you need to push it to move on, in my humble opinion.
snow conditions
dobby wrote:
II want to put some hours in at the local dry slope trying to get a bit faster (and therefore smoother). Anyone got any tips ?

First make sure you've got suitable equipment. Your own boots are a must. Make sure you don't buy them online or from any of the chain ski shops as they don't know their metatarsals from their medial cruciates, but go to a decent bootfitter. Best to go in the UK as the shops abroad are so variable, and then only to an expert. Even the most normal of feet require boots that are ground, moulded, foam-inserted, re-moulded, balanced and remoulded.

Following boots, make sure you've got your own skis that are wide enough to give you the kind of stability and float you need to maintain speed on all terrain types. Something a touch over 110mm sounds ideal for you, preferably with a big tip and tail rocker and reverse camber. I've seen a lot of people on here who are your standard recommend these skis and they seem to have great fun on them when on their green and blue runs. Again, best to buy British here, preferably from a small-scale manufacturer where you can appreciate the care and attention that's gone into the skis. Big-scale manufacturers spend millions in research and development solely to reduce costs so they have more money to spend on research and development in reducing costs. Ideally look for a ski with a topsheet that resembles 1970s wallpaper - it's got a special anti-friction coating that helps with acceleration and gets you some approving looks from those in the know that you're not some wanabee British gaper but a serious skier.

An avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe are also essential items for a skier such as yourself. Again, lots of British skiers of your standard have far surpassed simple pistes and can only show their prowess by heading deep into the back country for some serious gnar, and it's much easier to go fast when there are fewer people around. Add in an ABS pack and definitely avalanche cords and I'm sure you'll have everything you need to feel confident to ramp up the speed in the back country. Make sure you head for a resort with decent off-piste, such as La Rosiere. An added bonus of La Ros is you may get to meet the most cheery English seasonaires, for whom no request is a chore.

Lessons are also very important. If you want to go fast outdoors, work on going fast inside in a snowdome first, then take it out. After skiing in the crowded and claustrophobic atmosphere of a snowdome, you'll feel much safer once you move on to the slopes abroad - you'll get lots of practice at avoiding out-of-control snowboarders trying to land radical jumps and telling kids off for jumping lift queues, essential skills to maximise your slope time. Make the most of your skiing time abroad by getting the basics right in the UK before you go. Think inside then out for your skiing.

You also need to make sure you have some device to check your speed. The latest mobile phones all include super-accurate military-grade GPS devices that allow you to record your speed on the slopes and check how fast you've been going. You'll be amazed at the speeds you can get up to. Again I've seen skiers of your standard use these devices and find they're actually skiing faster down busy blue and red runs than most lycra-clad racers on world cup downhill runs. They've posted lots of evidence on these forums if you search.

Hope this helps. I'm sure other snowheads will help in condensing other pearls of wisdom that regularly feature on this site.

Twisted Evil Wink
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy