Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you carve? Truly? How much of the turn?

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, no, don't you know, we're not allowed to talk about carving on this thread!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, only lurked on that, as I clearly didn't know enough to contribute. My kiwi-residing relatives were also over here at the time of the tour (14-yo nephew is still pretty disgusted Mehrtens wasn't playing...ah those were the days rolling eyes ), so I even had to keep my head down at home too!

Arno, I'm sure you're right, but i'll let you know if I can ever do one! BTW did you get back to Charlotte about the PSB - she was quite concerned about keeping the room reservation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, thanks for the heads up on the PSB - hadn't been checking that thread so wasn't aware that I was causing consternation!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, I simply meant that some of your points relate to a perfect carve in mathematical and mechanical physics terms, which I contend virtually never occur in the real world and are therefore not imvho immediately applicable. In the real world we make a subjective assessment as to when a turn is carved by such arbitrary assessments as the clarity of railroad tracks and presence of plume. One should largely preclude the other and we then decide if the turn is sufficiently carved to be labelled such, whilst realising that it isn't a pure or perfect carve. I completely agree that carved turns are often not either the best or the most fun turn to use. I just like them where appropriate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, we've distracted them, now let's get back to talking about carving... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, well done! But we'll have to keep fanning the flames on the diversionary threads to keep their attention elsewhere. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(still watching Evil or Very Mad )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(You don't see to have much to say Puzzled Laughing )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With all these threads going on, don't you guys work...??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, nope.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, not today Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat,
What, you've finished already....??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, made redundant last week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Yes, Sorry to here that, I read your 'Rental' thread but I assumed you would be working notice. Must be throwing all your ski trips all over the place!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
made redundant last week.

Don't worry about it. October 2005 is THE month to be made redundant - all the best people are doing it. Cool
ski holidays
jedster, why are you going uphill?

other people have answered this question so I don't need to but I found the comment very interesting coming from an obviously experienced and enthusiastic skier - it shows why I see so few people really carving

I'm not about to say that carving is the be all and end all but I do think it is the most fun to have on GROOMED SNOW. That's not to say I don't throw in sections of short-swings to get my legs moving, just for the hell of it or because the piste is busy. Truly carving railroad tracks without skidding is a fun and interesting challenge because it requires precision at speed and the subte transition that I described earlier. Of course, you need to mix in a bit of steering or skidding to control speed at times but often its not necessary. As I said before, you'd be surprised how narrow a run you can carve if you get really high edge angles.

As others have said, one of the most satisfying things in skiing is having a range of techniques which you can blend depending on snow conditions, terrain and your mood - railroad carving is just one of them (but a good one!)
ski holidays
Here's another reason to carve and complete your turns by going back uphill: You can elongate your path sooooooo much that it can take you several minutes to descend your local 600 foot hill, even though you're never going less than 20 mph at any point along the path. In fact, I understand that if you carve really well, you never get to the bottom. Wink Laughing

Tom / PM
ski holidays
Physicsman,
Quote:

your local 600 foot

You North Americans! You need to get somewhere real with a nice 1800 meter hill!
snow conditions
jedster,
Quote:

it shows why I see so few people really carving

Puzzled Puzzled

I reckon the most fun to be had on groomed slopes involves turn shapes like this || and a high warp factor...wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch, he's actually at a 900 foot hill several times a week, does that count? Razz
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
1800 meter hill!

Is that the US spelling of metre, just so they know what you're on about? Laughing
latest report
David Murdoch, comprex, Wear The Fox Hat - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I can see why you would want to conjure up entertaimnet on a 600 ft hill..!!

Not knocking 900 ft or 300 mtrs - ball park conversion - but it doesn't really register

If it is in your back yard then I can just about understand it but I think I would have moved on if that was the norm
ski holidays
My local hill has a vertical of 100ft Sad but at least it is open all year long wink
snow conditions
If you are skiing uphill does this affect who has right of way on the slope (ie downhill skier). Surely a piste is a one way street.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Quite..!!
snow report
JT wrote:
I can see why you would want to conjure up entertaimnet on a 600 ft hill..!! ...
If it is in your back yard then I can just about understand it but I think I would have moved on if that was the norm
I had intended a bit of tongue in cheek in my post, but there is an element of truth as well. My 900 foot hill is essentially in my backyard - it is 1 hr 15 min door-to-door from home, so this allows me to both teach skiing, as well as remaining happily ensconced in my university job. There are many folks in the USA (particularly in the upper midwest) who live near even smaller hills that do indeed entertain themselves by perfecting carving, playing in the park & pipe, etc. These tiny hills have launched a surprising number of successful racing and ski pro careers - there's a thread about this phenomena at least once per year over on Epic.

Tom / PM

PS - FTS, you are absolutely correct to point out that the 'one way street' issue is a serious concern. If one is heading back up the hill, even though you typically ascend less than tens of vertical feet, it no longer is at all obvious who is the "downhill" skier, who is ahead of you, who has the right of way, etc. One has to be very careful both when carving back up hill as well as simply carrying a lot of speed across the piste.
latest report
Physicsman,

It may have come across as quite flippant, for which I apologise, but in Europe we tend to go for a minimum of 7 days and expect the resort to provide no less than 3000 feet vertical and trails of 80km upwards. And that is considered small to say the least. Thats not to say that there aren't gems that don't measure up to that and the off-piste or tours etc make the resort/village hugely interesting, but most UK skiers wouldn't look twice at a resort that didn't at least stack up to those dimensions.

I guess we aren't lucky enough to be that close so the effort we do make must be rewarded
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, at least we get pretty good at getting on the chairlifts. NehNeh Laughing snowHead
snow report
JT, no apology is even remotely necessary. I suspected what was behind your comment.
Obviously, I would prefer my two or three 8 hour days per week at the local hill PLUS a nice 2 week vacation each year to big mountains. Every now and then, I get the chance to do this, but to be honest, the lure of the big mountains has declined tremendously in me since I started to teach skiing.

If I was hypothetically limited to an either/or situation, I have absolutely no doubt that I would pick my current regular weekly skiing schedule over trying to pack a season’s worth of fun into 2 contiguous weeks. For me, having a ready-made network of acquaintances at the mountain (ie, the other instructors and resort employees), the regularity of skiing with friends, acquaintances, and guests, plus simply knowing that I will be regularly outside in the mountains (albeit modest ones) for most of the winter is deeply satisfying.

Although it’s entirely my own fault, I’m like a kid in the candy shop when I go to a destination resort -- I usually try to pack in way too much per day and exhaust myself. OTOH, when I know I’ll be back on skis in 2 or 3 days, I can be much more laid back about the experience. Obviously, everybody is different and YMMV.

All the best,

Tom / PM
snow report
Tom,

first of all pm me re a fellow scientist and amateur physicist!
second.....i hope you'll consider a trip to WP/MJ this year. we'll go spend some time with BB at his new job.
ski holidays
Hey Rusty -

Done. Check your PM box here on Snowheads.

Tom
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy