Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis abroad - exchanging or selling old ones over there

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought my last pair of skis in Canada many years ago and just stuffed them in my double ski bag and brought them home at no extra cost as far as the flights are concerned.

I want to try some new skis this time out in Utah and if I like them I'd be very tempted to buy. Problem is the baggage fees are ludicrous now!

As it is, just for taking skis it's looking like I have to pay £50 for the ski/boot bag as a second bag anyway. If I put a second pair of skis in, the combined weight of ski/boot goes overweight and that's £200 excess!

So, thinking I can try to dispose of the old skis over there.

Has anyone had experience doing this, e.g. by trying to flog the old skis to the shop for a discount or something similar ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I replaced a pair of boots in Canada, the shop said they would pass my old ones on to a local ski club - I didn't think they were worth much, and I couldn't be bothered lugging them home, so that worked for me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OH skis were slightly damaged when we were in Breck a few weeks ago. He decided that the cost of bringing them home, the repairs and then the cost of taking them on holiday nexr year, wasn't worth it and he would get a new pair of skis next time we are away (it was a good excuse anyway!). We left his skis in tha garage next to the bins, we came to the conclusion someone would see them them and grab them. We told our driver they were there, I think he was going to go back and get them Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 24-02-12 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I could just bin them, or find a cliff to chuck them off (assuming no one gets hurt! Very Happy). Though I did see on ebay the same have fetched £100 recently (2005 Atomic Metron B5). But mine aren't in great condition.

Alternate is to leave them at home and rent some out there, but could be spending a lot on rental whilst shopping and may not even buy some anyway.

Hmm, means I can choose to take the single bag with me which is smaller and easier to carry about, but I'd have to be sure I'm not taking two back then. Or end up buying another double bag if necessary out there. Perhaps that, as this double has a number of rips in it from the helpful bag handling systems.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
deadkenny, We just donated our old ones to the B+B we stayed in. The owner made sure they went to a worthy cause Madeye-Smiley

You could try posting on TGR forum for any locals around SLC to buy/collect. I doubt the shop you buy from would give you much if anything unles he knew he could move them on.

Where in Utah are you skiing / staying ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Post on TGR for any local charities that try to get kids/underprivileged teens on the slopes and see if they take gear donations, while these charities get rental hookups often they like to get kids their own gear to get them stoked. Although they probably have higher standards than old Rossi B2s if you've got something really ancient.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leave your old ones here and flog em on ebay.

Get some demos over there and buy the ones you like best, they'll discount the rental/demo fee you pay.

Damn I'm good wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just in SLC, so easy access to loads of places. Nice and cheap there. In fact Utah makes for a very cheap ski trip, or at least great value if you don't mind the pain of getting there.

Would be nice to be rid of those skis anyway. They weigh a tonne! Have been nice to ski on though, but in the mood for lighter and more up to date and all mountain.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try a posting on the local Craigs List with pick up at the hotel/chalet - that should work for selling, donating or just giving away.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wack em on ebay canada so the auction ends whilst you're out there? Local pick up only of course!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Craigs list probably works better than ebay in this situation - it's local so ppl go on it expecting to find something local for pick up
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So you have a pair of skis that would make £100 that you are going to abandon. You are going to pay £50 to ship them over there.

You're better off hiring.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hiring costs way more than that for a 2 week trip in US.

Anyway, ended up not buying anything and just continued with the current set. They're not in as bad condition as I remembered and prices over there aren't that cheap now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy